View Full Version : scizoaffective disorder + adult adhd

extrasolar
04-10-08, 09:47 PM
I am diagnosed with scizoaffective disorder. I think I have adult adhd too, in fact I am pretty sure of it as a lot of things are starting to make sense now.

What I am wondering is if my medications (abilify, lexapro, propranolol, and clonazepam) and diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder are preventing adult adhd diagnosis and treatment?

I am just reaching a point where I think I can try go back to school full time after many years, which is great, but some other things are starting to click about adult adhd (and even thinking about my childhood).

Is it common to see adult adhd with the schizophrenia spectra?

QueensU_girl
04-12-08, 10:37 AM
Both are frontal lobe issues. The frontal lobe affects aspects of mood [affect] and focus, etc.

One of the commonly seen features of thought disorders (e.g. schizophrenia spectrum) and affective disorders (depression spectrum) is 'inattention', no?

Question: Have you seen other clinicians for assessment/consultation?

The reason that I ask this question b/c my SO is a psychiatrist and I recall him mentioning that 'schizoaffective disorder' can be 'overdiagnosed'.

NB You could also go the route of formal neuropsychological testing for ADHD/LDs. Schizoaffective is a pretty serious diagnosis, so I'd think neuropsych testing (e.g. tests IQ, memory, executive function, auditory processing, etc) could be warranted in your case.

murphy40
04-12-08, 03:24 PM
I am diagnosed with scizoaffective disorder. I think I have adult adhd too, in fact I am pretty sure of it as a lot of things are starting to make sense now.

What I am wondering is if my medications (abilify, lexapro, propranolol, and clonazepam) and diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder are preventing adult adhd diagnosis and treatment?

I am just reaching a point where I think I can try go back to school full time after many years, which is great, but some other things are starting to click about adult adhd (and even thinking about my childhood).

Is it common to see adult adhd with the schizophrenia spectra?

I know it's common to have bipolar and add. I do. Bipolar II. How did you dr. know you were schizophrenic? I hear things, but I'm clairevoyante and just shut out messages. Sounds like I'm looney, huh, lol? But that and bipolar run in my mom's side of the family. I cringe to have yet another diagnosis besides my three.

So, to answer your question...I say yes. Google it. I've found tons of scientific articles, plug it in and see what you find.

Good luck

extrasolar
04-12-08, 06:42 PM
Well, I have had four seperate hospitilizations. So I do have the schizoaffective diagnosis. I am on disability. It is really tough, and I am just grateful for the amount of focus that I have now compared to before. I just wish I had more focus to help me read or concentrate better etcetera.

I've really only recently come to grips with all this, so the whole concept of adhd is new to me. I'm going to bring it up to my doctor at my next visit.

I never new that I had scizoaffective disorder until they told me at the hospital. I guess I had always had the symptoms. You can block things out and cope your best until you lose it completely (the ability to cope)... geez this is tough to think about.

All I hope is that I am able to get additional treatment to further my recovery.

Wow, thanks for your input.