View Full Version : Can Lithium cause a rise in blood pressure?

Spongedaddy
04-11-08, 10:38 AM
I am up to 900mg of Lithium Carbonate and just started again on Lamictal (25mg). On Sunday I checked my bp at the Walmart machine and it was 140/76. I was very stressed that day and it went back down after a while. Today I wasn't stressed and it was at 133/79. I have almost always been at 115/70 (around there) I don't think I have ever checked it and it has been above 120.

Is it the Lithium? Right now my dad is still living with us and I am preparing to go on long-term disability. MY dad is adding a lot of stress and my agitation levels are off the chart...can that be the cause????

~boots~
04-11-08, 10:41 AM
I am up to 900mg of Lithium Carbonate and just started again on Lamictal (25mg). On Sunday I checked my bp at the Walmart machine and it was 140/76. I was very stressed that day and it went back down after a while. Today I wasn't stressed and it was at 133/79.

Is it the Lithium? Right now my dad is still living with us and I am preparing to go on long-term disability. MY dad is adding a lot of stress and my agitation levels are off the chart...can that be the cause????
my bp was up when I went for medical the other week. It's never been high...I wonder if it's the meds too
141/90:eek:

adhdogwalker
04-12-08, 01:22 AM
I'm no expert, but I think that stress can definitely cause it. My normal blood pressure is 90/60 (got it checked at dr. right before I started meds about a year ago). I hate getting my blood pressure checked because of the way the cuff squeezes me-- I get freaked out and agitated. Anyway, I went to the ER during my "transient alternating blindness" psychotic episode and they checked my blood pressure. I was also extremely afraid and paranoid due to the psychosis. I started flipping out and screaming at the nurse that I was going to die because the pressure of the cuff was more than I could handle at that moment. That evening, my blood pressure was 136/80. I sincerely hope that the meds are not causing a rise in blood pressure as extreme as that. I could be wrong, but I think it was related to the extreme anxiety and stress I was experiencing. I will try to get it checked again soon so I can figure out if it's a problem or not and how I should address it.