View Full Version : Looking for information on synaptic tranmissions

Be Inexorable
04-11-08, 01:06 PM
Hello,

I am a 20 year old biology student with ADHD. I've lived with it for much of my life with little exogenous medical intervention.

However I have recently started taking concerta due to the sheer magnitude and ubiquitious nature of my most recent academic edevours... In sort, my psychological coping techniques and organizational strategies are proving to be ineffecieint in times of great stress. School is my life, and this is what I do.

Furthermore the "3 pound world" in my head is my most prized organ, and I try to avoid anything that alters it in such a way that it could cause long-lasting adverse changes.

I'm looking for any scientific studies on the effects on Methylphenidate on the synapses upon which it acts... Does anyone know if the agonist effects that this medication exerts on the synapses VIA exocytosis and re-uptake inhibition cause any damage to neurons in the long run?

I would say that, at my current rate of consumption, I am likely to consume a bottle of 30 every 3 months for 8 months of the year... That being said, I would not really be classified as a "true long-term" user just because of the refreactory periods

Thank You,
BI

Riff Raff
05-16-08, 07:12 PM
I Googled it, and got a whole host of things. Try this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11044595