View Full Version : ADHD Children's Interpersonal Intuition Gift

TammyS
04-12-08, 02:22 AM
Hello. I am fairly new this this board but have been reading it for almost a year - very informative.

My seven year old has ADHD and I am a parent WITH ADD. Even though it has been a double struggle, in a way, I am glad I have it so that I can relate to him. I am reading this book that explains the Gifts of ADHD (most uplifting and positive book I have read thus far on the subject). I wanted to share the below story from this book because I notice this with my son. I have found that persons with ADHD read people's tones, faces, hand jesters, etc just as much if not more that what someone is saying to them. Since many people do not say what they truly feel, children with ADHD don't know how to feel or what to do so they act out........

The Gift Of ADHD
`by Lara Honos-Webb, PH.D

Story from Chapter 7:

"A therapist-in-training, Amy Williams, reported feeling anxious about her responsibilities as a coleader of a group therapy treatment for adolescent girls. As a new therapist, her anxiety was predictable as she assumed this new role. As the group developed, her anxiety turned to dismay as she realized that one of the group members who had been diagnosed with ADHD was unmanageable. This member was loud and obnoxious and disrupted the group at every turn. Amy felt like she was losing control of the group and worked hard to keep it on track. After weeks of group therapy that seemed out of control because of the disruption caused by this one member, Amy mentally gave up. She walked into the next group meeting with the realization that she could not manage this group, and that she would just have to stick it out. She accepted defeat and in so doing, banished her anxiety. No longer was she intent on making the group work perfectly or doubting herself if she couldn't control its course.
Amy reported a remarkable transformation. The very day she conquered her anxiety, the group process transformed. The one menber who had been so disruptive suddenly was the model group client. The group therapy proceeded, and for the first time the process facilitated healing for ALL members.
In Amy's account of this remarkable transformation, she realized that the client with ADHD had been ACTING OUT AMY'S anxiety about managing the group and her new role. And, as the client continued disrupting the group, Amy's anxeity escalated. A vicious cycle was set into motion as the client's behavior grew worse and Amy became more anxious. As soon as Amy dissipated her own anxiety by giving up, the vicious cycle was stopped and the client's behavior was no longer disruptive or disturbed.
Amy remarked that her first impressions of this client were that she was pretty superficial and incapable of connecting to others. After realizing the startling connection between her own emotional state and this client's behavior, Amy saw that the client was more connected to her than any other client was. In fact, this client was so attuned to Amy's emotional state that she ACTED IT OUT. The transformation from seeing the client as superficial and obnoxious to highly sensitive, attuned and connected to her will serve as a template for understanding the interpersonal gifts of ADHD."

Imnapl
04-13-08, 10:10 PM
Great story. I am definitely going to order that book.

Imnapl
05-10-08, 10:32 AM
Well, the book arrived a few days ago and I decided to thumb through it. I am very disappointed in Lara Hono-Webb's two page discussion about medication and her recommendation of a book by Peter Breggin as an important resource. Sigh. I will give the book a chance because it cost me hard earned money.