View Full Version : Chest Pain and Daytrana

hooterville_mom
04-15-08, 02:16 PM
I have adult ADHD and recently began trials of meds. The Daytrana patch is working well but gives me some general discomfort in the area of my heart and down my left arm when it is on. I'm a 40 year old soccer mom who has no history of heart problems or high blood pressure. Seems like a dr. casually mentioned a heart murmur once but acted like it was no big deal. I did use a lot of cocaine and meth in the 80s and had similar but worse chest pain the last time I used cocaine. That was the reason it was the last time and was many years ago. My pdoc seems unconcerned about the discomfort, which goes away when I'm not wearing the patch. Any other experiences out there that can put my mind at ease?

Mary
04-15-08, 02:18 PM
I have adult ADHD and recently began trials of meds. The Daytrana patch is working well but gives me some general discomfort in the area of my heart and down my left arm when it is on. I'm a 40 year old soccer mom who has no history of heart problems or high blood pressure. Seems like a dr. casually mentioned a heart murmur once but acted like it was no big deal. I did use a lot of cocaine and meth in the 80s and had similar but worse chest pain the last time I used cocaine. That was the reason it was the last time and was many years ago. My pdoc seems unconcerned about the discomfort, which goes away when I'm not wearing the patch. Any other experiences out there that can put my mind at ease?

Call the pharmacist and tell them what you've told us.. it doesn't hurt to get a second opinion.

hooterville_mom
04-15-08, 02:27 PM
They said to ask the dr.

I quit using the patch because of this yesterday and have missed 2 days of work now because of the hangover - post-insomnia headache and fatigue. Is it even worth it to be on these meds? They're great when they're working, but bedtime sucks.

I tried Adderall last week and it made me withdrawn and sad, plus the chest pain. Daytrana works for my symptoms without much mood changes, but I am afraid it is damaging my heart somehow.

Mary
04-15-08, 02:31 PM
They said to ask the dr.

I quit using the patch because of this yesterday and have missed 2 days of work now because of the hangover - post-insomnia headache and fatigue. Is it even worth it to be on these meds? They're great when they're working, but bedtime sucks.

I tried Adderall last week and it made me withdrawn and sad, plus the chest pain. Daytrana works for my symptoms without much mood changes, but I am afraid it is damaging my heart somehow.

What dosage of Adderal? What dosage is your patch?

yes it can be worth it. .... but getting the right med is usually trial and error. I'm sorry you're having a rough time.

hooterville_mom
04-15-08, 02:39 PM
the Adderall was 20mg, Daytrana was 10mg. I felt like I needed 20mg of the Daytrana, and pdoc said to use 2 patches if I wanted, but I was afraid to bump up because of the progressively worse insomnia and chest discomfort. How do we know we're not damaging our hearts with this stuff? It wasn't anxiety, I felt calm. I got anxious as it wore off and I got my old self back. The chest pain went away then too.

Mary
04-15-08, 02:46 PM
We don't, that is why I suggest a full physical..with blood testing, ekg, etc

Also, someone else just posted recently about having similar symptoms with another med... theirs turned out to be anxiety attacks as the meds wore off.

Talk with the doctor about what a good combination of meds would be. So you can have one dosage in the a.m. and another later in the day at a smaller dosage. That way your body will ease off at a slower pace so that you're not so anxious.

It's also possible you need some type of anxiety med along with your dosage...your doctor should be able to figure something out.

JMO... but I hope it helps!

hooterville_mom
04-15-08, 03:30 PM
I never had the anxiety and the chest pain at the same time. It was kinda odd. I think I'll have some tests run to put my mind at ease and then make a decision. One way or another, I feel the medication is taxing my heart. My heart is about the only body part that hasn't given me any trouble, and I plan on using it 40 more years. I've gotten by this long and may just tough things out without meds.

Mary
04-15-08, 03:43 PM
Good luck.. let me know what the test results are.

newfdog
04-16-08, 08:28 AM
Heart pains are nothing to be ignored, no matter how insignificant. It also depends on the doctor and what they think.

I had some minor pains a while back and had for years off and on. Finally the last trip to the ER I went to a different hospital that has a cardiac unit. That was Saturday night, Tuesday morning I went home with two stents. I was lucky in the sense I did not have a real heart attack, and the stents worked.

Since you are a woman, makes it even more imperative to get checked as women normally don't have the same symptoms as men or as much pain. In many cases they call them silent heart attacks. Lets us know and hope you get the answers

hooterville_mom
04-24-08, 06:24 PM
Well, I had a normal EKG today at my primary care doc's office. My blood pressure is 120 over 80. They are going to do an echo and a stress test but it looks like I am okay. He thinks the chest pain was muscular.