View Full Version : Help please!! Extreme nausea!

Zuzu
04-23-08, 06:52 PM
Hi
I started taking Ritalin 10mg twice a day about 4 weeks ago and so far I haven't felt a thing, nothing.
As my depression was getting really bad I asked my doctor to switch me over to Reboxetine from Cymbalta.
I had been taking Cymbalta for about a year mainly for neuropathic pain, but also for depression, It help a bit with my pain but totally useless for my depression.
Anyway, I have been taking Reboxetine 4mg twice a day along with Ritalin, and didn't really have any side effects for over a week, then on Monday of this week I suddenly started to feel really nauseas.
I mean horrendous nausea all the time, I have felt like this for the last three days and keep hoping it will go away, I mean I can't move, as soon as I get up and walk I have to sit down as the wave of nausea is unbearable.
I was wondering if this could be either withdrawal from Cymbalta or side effects from Reboxetine, this is so confusing I don't know what to do.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Jennifer:confused:

Mary
04-23-08, 08:22 PM
Jennifer.. did you call the doctor? If you can't get an answer there.. try the pharmacy. Something is definitely wrong.. if you're that unsteady after taking it.

Either should be able to help. If all else fails.. and it's after hours.. go to the ER.

amiegrace
04-24-08, 04:44 PM
Some antidepressants have the side effect of nausea pretty badly, because the neurotransmitters they plug into affect gastrointestinal functions also.

The up side might be that it is affecting your gastrointestinal system so badly because it is also going to work on the brain chemicals that will lift your depression.

sloppitty-sue
04-24-08, 06:36 PM
While your waiting to find help for your nausea, I have found the anti-nausea products at my local health-food store that contain mainly GINGER to be EXTREMELY EFFECTIVE at immediately stopping nausea like 5 minutes after ingestion. The one I have currently says "safe for pregnant mom's with morning sickness" because all it is is fresh ginger ground/juiced into honey. I just take a spoonful and my nausea is gone.

I've also tried the ginger gum they used to carry, but they didn't have it last time I needed it. The anti-nausea stuff I purchased at CVS - this red, sugar syrup - did not work at all for either me or my daughter. Obviously when I was pregnant, I couldn't take any DRUGS for nausea -- but even NOT pregnant, this stuff WORKS FAST! And I believe that even boiling up some fresh ginger and making your own recipe for consuming a bit of it would work also.

And I know this sounds silly, but is it possibly that you're pregnant? The only reason I ask is because whenever I was pregnant - the overwhelming nausea came pretty early into it. And I know some people who have been told they can't conceive and/or who don't have regular periods have been pregnant for a while and not even known it until after many, many weeks.

Hope you get this straightened out A.S.A.P. :)

Luv,
Sue

Zuzu
04-25-08, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the replies.
My doctor came to see me and gave me some tablets for nausea and it went within 20 minutes, so thats OK. I am dubious about keeping on these tablets if they are having such a reaction on my body, they are also making me really constipated. Anyway, I am just going to have to figure this one myself and decide what I am going to do.
Hey sloppitty-sue, definitely not pregnant unless its the immaculate conception.;)
Thanks for the replies I really appreciate it.
Jen

Mary
04-25-08, 12:47 AM
Jen.. you mentioned the constipation. My youngest has what is called slow stomach..where she gets so constipated that her whole system backs up to the point that she vomits.

The meds causing constipation might be doing that to your system. Hence the extreme nausea. Try drinking juices that don't have high citric concentrations, throughout the day. It may help keep things regulated so you can find neutral ground, so to speak.