View Full Version : Adderall for ADD and anorexia

Laura89
04-24-08, 01:18 AM
I am so sick of people thinking I am using adderall as a diet pill. Every therapist is like "really your doctor presibe you adderall? Does he know you have a history of anorexia?"

Then there's the side effect of adderall, which is lost of appetite, and weight lost. Yes, my appetite has decrease; I am not eating very much.

However, there is a different:
I am not eating so I can lose weight.
I am not restricting so I can lose 10lbs.
I am not doing it on purpose.

In addition, since taking adderall I could tell a decrease in eating disorder thoughts. I am not counting calories, or thinking how fat I am.

morethanadiagno
04-24-08, 01:37 AM
I got this a lot when I first started taking Adderall. I've never had anorexia, but everyone around me thought I did. Something that you could point out though is that anorexia is not about numbers; it's not about weight or calories it's about a thought pattern and if Adderall is helping that it could be helping.

Adderall really helped with my obsessions by allowing me to focus on other things and not be so distracted by the one, is this what it's done with you? Does anyone else get this?

Mincan
04-24-08, 02:05 AM
When one realises they are hungry but the medication makes it so they "don't want to eat" (aka anorectic in denial) whatever the hell that means, or in reality they don't eat, that's annorexia. Your body is still sending the signal but the medication is overriding your impulses, that's what stimulants do, reduce impulsive behaviours...

Laura89
04-24-08, 04:12 PM
I know at some point all anorexic girls have the feeling of hunger. The only differents is that they ignore their hunger with the choice of not eating. Having no appetite yes you may lose weight. However if you're responding to your hunger singles your body won't eat it's muscle. Starving yourself your body lose so much weight you don't have any muscle/fat to cover your bones.

I am tired of people thinking that anorexia is just a person who's not eating. It's much more then that! You have to have a BMI of 17.5 still think you're fat, and trying to lose more weight.

Mincan
04-24-08, 04:28 PM
This isn't aimed at anyone:

BMI of over 17.5 isn't "fat"... but then again "fat" is a pretty idiotic word, that people with small compartmentalised brains use. Fat is but one component of our body mass. Someone can be "large" or "huge" with relatively little body fat... or can store all their excess energy reserves in one particular area of their body, buttocks, thighs, stomach, etc, and still not be overweight, although appear disproportioned. As the new gurus of weight loss say, it's not about looks, it's about placement... where your body is storing fat is a good indication of how healthy you are and also your risks for unbeneficial outcomes should it be stored to excess in certain areas... especially around your organs... which is why they tell people to try to stay below a certain measurement rather than go by weight, which as anyone who thinks clearly understands, means nothing between one person and another. You can be 120 and obese and I can be 220 and not overweight at all... its all about height, body composition (muscle, fat) and frame size (there are quite the variable to this, for instance upon measuring the bones in my kneecaps and elbows and looking up the data, found I am the 2nd largest frame size on the charts, after my measurement it just says "above"...which is why people do not believe I weigh as much as I do, they think I weigh less)...

...anywho, as I know you know, only above 25 BMI is one considered overweight.

Another interesting fact is athletes do not use BMI, as their results are greatly -skewed by their relatively low fat-to-muscle ratio... as you also know muscle consumes twice as much energy to sustain itself than does fat and weights approximately double. This means anyone living an active lifestyle shouldn't be hard on themselves if they are using a scale for ... well anything at all... I haven't weighed myself since early last year sometime... it really serves no purpose other than for statistical information on ID and such.

nikkiana
04-24-08, 09:25 PM
Eating disorders aren't something that I have personal experience with, so my thoughts certainly come with a grain of salt and a dose of ignorance, but I figured I'd say something anyway in case the questions I have might be helpful...

I guess the big thing I'd be wondering in your shoes is... Is what I'm experiencing now typical of people in my situation? Do people who have struggled with eating disorders notice that they're eating more than they used to, but are still losing weight and are finding the psychological symptoms don't seem to be as intense or are absent? What would happen if I stopped taking my medication? Would my psychological symptoms come back because I have hunger trying to prompt me to eat more? What if I start making a conscious effort to eat more while on medication to try to maintain my weight, would the fact that I'm making an physical and mental effort against the side effect of the medication cause me to relapse because what I really want on a subconscious level is the scale to go down?

I don't know if that's even helpful or not.... but I guess that's the sort of stuff that I might be wondering...