View Full Version : Too tired to exercise

merkel
04-25-08, 05:28 AM
Youíve had a long, taxing day at the office and youíre ready to head home and collapse in front of the T.V. You promised yourself youíd do a thirty minute workout but feel too exhausted to even think about it. Does this sound like a familiar situation? Two of the most common reasons people give for not working out are lack of time and fatigue. After all, a long day taking care of family or working at the office takes time and energy. Unfortunately, you still need exercise for both fitness and relaxation. What can you do to motivate yourself when youíre too tired to work out?
<o:p> </o:p>
Too tired to exercise: Have your iron levels checked
If you already exercise and find youíre approaching your daily workout with excessive fatigue and lack of motivation, see your doctor and have your iron level checked. Your doctor can do a blood test called a ferreting level which measures your bodyís stores of iron. Aerobic exercise can cause slow depletion of iron levels with iron being lost through sweating and through leakage of small amounts into the gut with sustained movements. Plus, itís not uncommon for women of child bearing age to be iron deficient. If youíre iron deficient, iron supplementation may make all the difference in your energy levels and your attitude towards exercise.
Too tired to exercise: Exercise when you awaken in the morning
If you feel tired and less motivated to exercise in the evening, try setting your alarm thirty minutes early and get your exercise session out of the way before the day starts. An early morning exercise session can help to energize and motivate you for the rest of the day. Plus, you can look forward to an evening of relaxation knowing youíve accomplished your goal. This can be a simple solution to the problem of being too tired to work out.
Too tired to exercise: Do it anyway
Sometimes the best cure for fatigue is a vigorous exercise session. Have you ever noticed how you can walk into the health club exhausted but after thirty minutes of motion you feel energized and invigorated? Thereís nothing like exercise to get your blood flowing and zap fatigue. If itís difficult for you to get motivated to make that trip to the club, promise yourself a small reward after you finish your session if you follow through. Just make sure itís not a jelly donut!
Too tired to exercise: Lighten up your workout
On nights that youíre too tired to work out, follow a lighter, less rigorous routine. To motivate yourself to take the first step, tell yourself youíll only exercise for ten minutes. After ten minutes have elapsed chances are youíll feel so invigorated that youíll want to keep going.
Too tired to exercise: Change your exercise format
If you feel fatigued with a lack of motivation towards exercise on a particular evening, change your workout entirely and substitute something fun. Instead of walking thirty minutes on the treadmill at the club, take your dog for a brisk walk or do thirty minutes of stretches while you watch your favorite T.V. show. You can get back on schedule the next time you exercise and the variety will be good for you both physically and mentally.
Give these tips a try and soon youíll no longer need the old excuse of being too tired to work out. Plus, youíll look and feel like a new person.

meadd823
04-27-08, 02:17 AM
I would enjoy an exchange about exercise it is one of my favorite subjects however I am not interested in resistence bands - {this is a no spam zone.}

If you really want to have a discussion about exercise without trying to sell me some thing then I all you got to do is respond by saying so.

Ian
04-28-08, 01:37 AM
Exercise means aerobic work at first to let the body adapt. It doesn't matter to me what you do as long as you're not working so hard that you can't sing or lightly enough that you could talk non stop. You should be able to carry on a conversation. That means the other person gets a word in edgewise at least some of the time. :D

After that there are more options. Any core strength work impresses me too. :) But I'm really impressionable. :P
Ian

Edit: It usually gives me more time and energy than I gave up to do it in the first place. Free time!!!

meadd823
05-20-08, 06:56 AM
Exercise means aerobic work at first to let the body adapt. It doesn't matter to me what you do as long as you're not working so hard that you can't sing or lightly enough that you could talk non stop. You should be able to carry on a conversation. That means the other person gets a word in edgewise at least some of the time.

It is the aerobic exercises I have to make room for in my day walking three miles - actually I end up walking jogging and running back to walking - I keep my heart rate up for at least 30-45 minutes - I don't have one of those special heart rate things but I have discovered that when it comes to exercise my body and brain seem to automatically know what to do and how far to go - I was already mixing sprints in with brisk walks even before reading about it in John Ratey's new book "Spark" - exercise is one of the few things that comes natural to me - all I have to do is make the time and put on my running shoes

Strength training well I get paid to do that part - I left all day and I normally have parts where I lift a decent number of repetitions in succession - it is not unusual for me to lift 40 pound pallets from a trailer 100 at a time - one after another. I lift metal shelves - scrape iron - I also use a 12 pound nail gun for several hours a day and swing a hammer - I have been playing around with learning how to hammer stuff left handed - that way I can use the nail gun right handed and the hammer left handed - I can hit stuff left handed so I practice this when I am by myself least I hit the wrong thing - like my husband's head.

I have a hard time explaining to Gary why after a day of lifting and swinging I need to walk several miles - to him exercise is exercise but I have noticed the aerobic exercise aide in warding off the depression and PMS better than the lifting alone - when my grandson was born last week and I went almost a week with out any real physical exercise I came home an emotional wreck - my husband still doesn't understand the walking jogging thing but he does understand wife in better mood

goughy
07-13-08, 04:39 AM
I was a too tired to exercise, to busy to fit it in. I started running 2 months ago and just persist with it. Mostly, I have to get up at 5.20am to run and run in 2 and 3* temps but man do I feel good afterwards. I also ride an exercise bike and do resistance band workouts and they are like at 9pm at night. But I just do it.

Now I no longer feel too tired to exercise. I feel bad when I don't do it!

Ian
07-14-08, 11:29 AM
I was a too tired to exercise, to busy to fit it in. I started running 2 months ago and just persist with it. Mostly, I have to get up at 5.20am to run and run in 2 and 3* temps but man do I feel good afterwards. I also ride an exercise bike and do resistance band workouts and they are like at 9pm at night. But I just do it.

Now I no longer feel too tired to exercise. I feel bad when I don't do it!

I love this effect from an increased activity. I believe that any time I put into aerobic work is likely to pay off in an increased energy level so that I'm able to be more effective, regardless of what I do during the day. Helps with the sleep too.

I'm envious of your morning routine, but I'm just not cut out to be at my best that early in the day. :)
Ian