View Full Version : Do any of you like IEP/504?

Tiako44
04-27-08, 07:49 PM
I am no longer in public school but now in college and looking back IEP/504 was useless for the most part. Only at one time I ever found it useful and that was with an awesome counselor.

My experience was that anyone in the program they treated like a "special kid" in the bad way. When I was at one school in high school they would have IEP study class where you would have a tutor help you. They would pretty much do the homework for you and push you through school. It just made me feel like crap when people did that to me. I just don't feel like it is set up to handle anyone with ADD at all...

What are all your guys thoughts?

Jarleigannor
04-28-08, 07:41 AM
I am no longer in public school but now in college and looking back IEP/504 was useless for the most part. Only at one time I ever found it useful and that was with an awesome counselor.

My experience was that anyone in the program they treated like a "special kid" in the bad way. When I was at one school in high school they would have IEP study class where you would have a tutor help you. They would pretty much do the homework for you and push you through school. It just made me feel like crap when people did that to me. I just don't feel like it is set up to handle anyone with ADD at all...

What are all your guys thoughts?

I think that you must not have had a *proper IEP. An IEP isn't one document used for many students. It's legally required to be written from scratch for each individual (hence the I) student in accordance with their unique needs, for plans to attain their unique goals.

That said, I'd bet good money that the vast majority of any type of students, not just adhd'ers, don't have an IEP that is written or followed to the letter of the law.

Imnapl
04-28-08, 08:56 AM
Tiako, do you have a learning disability?

Tiako44
04-29-08, 03:38 PM

Yeah, why?

Imnapl
04-29-08, 06:53 PM

Yeah, why?

I just don't feel like it is set up to handle anyone with ADD at all...

What are all your guys thoughts?Not everyone with ADHD has a learning disability and because of that, they often don't qualify for a support block or an IEP. I know kids who wish they could have a support block to help them keep on top of things at school. I'm sorry you felt bad at your school.

Tiako44
05-01-08, 11:26 PM
All the programs at school to help me always tried to push meds down me or give me extra easy work. My problem, and has always been the same problem is the fact that I just don't study for anything or do the homework.

Their thought process was that because I did not do the homework it must be too hard so lets give him homework a two year old could do.

Imnapl
05-02-08, 12:43 AM
All the programs at school to help me always tried to push meds down me or give me extra easy work. My problem, and has always been the same problem is the fact that I just don't study for anything or do the homework.

Their thought process was that because I did not do the homework it must be too hard so lets give him homework a two year old could do.Why didn't you study or do homework so the situation could change?

Tiako44
05-02-08, 11:36 AM
Why didn't you study or do homework so the situation could change?

I just don't do homework. Give me a test and don't fill my day up with busy work.

Aoife
05-18-08, 12:27 PM
Homework is to solidify the knowledge and skills, Tiako, so you can retain them for a long time as opposed to just taking a test and forgetting them. It's like basketball practice, except it's life practice.

It's not just busy work, at least it's not intended to be.

That being said, it's unfortunate that the IEP didn't help you.