View Full Version : paralysis dreams

SuzzanneX
04-29-08, 01:22 AM
Mmmkay...
..Ready for this one?

When I don't take adderrall, I can't sleep well.

........and whats worse is....sometimes........right before I doze off.

I get this feeling my body is dead, and my mind is panicking to wake up.

.........is this something I should mention to my shrink?

anyone else get this terrifying experiance off their meds?

SuzzanneX
04-29-08, 01:33 AM
I found some stuff on it..
.....but, I don't feel the "prescence in the room.
I'm too buzy freaking out in my head that I can't move to notice any spooks.
...Ive seen my share of spooks tho.
they don't bother me.

http://www.dreamsnightmares.com/sleepparalysis.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art48233.asp

SuzzanneX
04-29-08, 03:06 AM
...so far, I guess I'm the only nutcase who has this ..... weirdness.

LOL!

~boots~
04-29-08, 03:10 AM
LOL..not a nutcase..just no-one else who's read it has had it :)

SuzzanneX
04-29-08, 03:13 AM
why am I going to a psychiatrist in the morning if I'm sane? LOL!

.....just playin'

thankies tracy. *smiles*

Sandy4957
04-29-08, 03:16 AM
I sleep better when I take a small amount of Adderall (as in, 2.5 mg IR). Definitely. My mind races otherwise and I have trouble falling asleep, and when I wake up after a few hours (as I inevitably do), I have trouble staying asleep. This has been true my whole life.

I don't usually take anything anyway, just because I feel weird about it, but I know what you mean.

Sandy

texasmissb
04-29-08, 07:08 AM
It sounds like sleep paralysis. I have had this many times and just recently when I took Lunesta (never again). Its absolutely terrifying! The vyvance helps me sleep better and wake up earlier, around 4 am now. You also could be having panic attacks in your sleep or right before sleep. I am afraid almost every night, I dont even think about it anymore until right before I go to sleep. It doesnt matter that boyfriend is right next to me. What happens is I become anxious and then my mind runs wild, with worries about anything from robbers to evil spirits. I hear noises even with the fan on to drown them out. This kind of gets out there but I see ghost and have for most of my life. I see them mostly in the daytime though and lots of them are animal spirits, my mom sees them too. I know you all probably think its psychosis, I told my Pdoc and thought crap....he'll probably label me that way but didnt. Anyway this isnt what I'm afraid of either, this is my own anxieties that seem to surface before sleep. Last night was particularly bad because I have a dog that was rushed to the vet yesterday and may still not make it. It was high tension all day because they dont know what is wrong, cut her oped in her weakened state for something they thought it was and so far the vet bill is $600 and its not over yet, I take her back this morning. I notice that if something is going on that triggers especially past anxietys ( I was in a house fire that killed my animals and I barely got out, this happened at night while asleep) I have it bad before falling asleep. This was not caused from the fire though, I was already this way and that just made it worse. I think that right before we sleep and during sleep our mind trys to work out its fears. Anyway sleep meds make it worse for me and what seems to work the best is just toughing it out and I repeat (like a mantra) in my head something to the affect of. These are just my fears and they are not real, I am safe.
Suzzannx your not a nut case lots of people deal with this. I hope this doesnt happen to you again it really sucks. Our own beds should be our refuge.

xstarchildx
04-29-08, 08:18 AM

LOL!

No your not the only nutcase who has had that happen too, i have many times, try not to fight it and see what happens then, i have had obe (out of body expierences) when this has happened to me, and other things happen which have freaked me right out.

So your not a nutcase really otherwise i am too lol:)

As the person above say's it is called sleep paralysis, i personally think it has a deeper meaning to it. but that's just my view.

busyhermit
04-29-08, 09:01 AM
Haven't experienced it myself but have heard of it more than once on TV programs - it's certainly very real and if I understood it right, there's a scientific explanation for it. You could probably find out more if you did a search.

dcmoney05
04-29-08, 09:14 AM
i happens to me. before i knew i had ADD and was put on meds it happen to me a lot. it feels like something forcing or holding you down. its really weird. i dont think it has much to do with the meds. the meds just probably keep you from being aware of it.
it something else. something deeper.

SuzzanneX
04-29-08, 12:43 PM
I never get it on adderrall.
....it's "med holidays" when I have to sleep after having no adderrall.
almost everytime.

SuzzanneX
04-29-08, 01:27 PM
ghosts don't bother me, I tell em to go look at TV or something.
.....they make my hair stand up but f*** em. They can't do anything to you.

texasmissb
04-29-08, 03:14 PM
i happens to me. before i knew i had ADD and was put on meds it happen to me a lot. it feels like something forcing or holding you down. its really weird. i dont think it has much to do with the meds. the meds just probably keep you from being aware of it.
it something else. something deeper.

O.k. stop scaring the crap out of me :D. Its probably aliens and were are all getting probed but dont remember the....how do I say....probing, so we now have all kind of anxiety disorders from this.:eek: For real though I get totally terrified.

texasmissb
04-29-08, 03:17 PM
ghosts don't bother me, I tell em to go look at TV or something.
.....they make my hair stand up but f*** em. They can't do anything to you.

I have never know of anyone to get seriously hurt by one, they will make you hurt yourself running away. ;)

ADDAWAY
04-29-08, 03:27 PM
O.k. stop scaring the crap out of me :D. Its probably aliens and were are all getting probed but don't remember the....how do I say....probing, so we now have all kind of anxiety disorders from this.:eek:

Probing aliens who don't let you get up? Geeeeezzz, I hope they're not proctologists! :confused:

mijahe
04-29-08, 06:33 PM

Nope, you're not the only one. I get it as well. It had freaked me out for many years, but came and went, so I never did anything about it. Until I had the good fortune to talk to someone about it.... and do some research.

See this thread:
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40029

Yes, I get the sense that there is a 'presence' in the room. Yes, I can't move a muscle - even though I am screaming my head off. It's horrible - and I have claustrophobia. So you can imagine!

The thing that triggers it off for me is: 1. Lack of sleep, (more than 'normal'), 2. Adrenalin, 3. Be hyperfocusing on something.

I'm not so freaked out by it nowadays, because I discovered a good trick to 'break it'.....

Close your eyes!

Basically; If I'm dreaming, and I don't like a situation... then I'll do the opposite of what I'd expect to do. Which always gets me out of trouble. In this case close my eyes. It works every time for me. Just wake straight up again.

before i knew i had ADD and was put on meds it happen to me a lot.

Alas, it has nothing to do with ADD.

ADDAWAY
04-29-08, 06:44 PM
See also http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32576

thePassenger
04-29-08, 07:17 PM
hey who you calling a nutcase? I get this too! The experiences vary from terrifying :confused: to "oh brother, here we go again" :rolleyes: to awesome :cool:.

When you sleep, in most cases your body and mind sort of "disconnect", which basically protects you from acting out your dreams. But sometimes, the mind wakes up before the body does, so you find yourself seemingly conscious and aware, but trapped in a paralysed body.

Not sure how long this lasts, seems like less than a minute, then the reconnection is made suddenly. Generally, I don't like the paralysis feeling.

Other times though, I believe I experience what is referred to as lucid dreaming. Again, I seem to become "aware" before I actually physically wake up...there's usually a loud electrical buzzing the ears, immense pressure on the face and I feel as though I'm in free fall. I swear I have felt "myself" rotate out of my body. Sometimes I feel there is a malevolent presence, which scares me sh**less, sometimes not, at which point I try to drag it out as long as I can before I "reconnect".

The pressure on the upper body and feeling that there is an evil presence in the room is referred to as the "old hag syndrome". In paintings this was depicted as a wart-faced witch basically sitting on your face.

I don't take any ADD meds, so no clue how that influences all of this.

SuzzanneX
04-29-08, 09:29 PM
I've seen so many ghosts, both on drugs and sober...
....it surprizes me everyone does'nt see em.

when I was on drugs, I stopped being afraid of them.

I'll show you one now...

...This clip from "3 men and a Baby"

......when the grandmother picks up the baby, she starts walking, and she says

"Look at the way she's looking at me!"

Right there, there's a ghost in the doorway.

it was pretty public.

.....the parents of the dead child recognized him when they saw the movie and
freaked.

...he died in that house..

and no one saw him on the set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF2f__k0Pnw&feature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF2f__k0Pnw&feature=related)

<!--TEMPLATE: skin_global, Template Part: signature_separator-->

SuzzanneX
04-29-08, 09:31 PM
right there!
.....there's a ghost link.

I did'nt put it there, and when I go to edit it ....it's not there.

SuzzanneX
04-29-08, 09:34 PM
I lived next door to my old high school in atlanta...me and my ex used to
walk his dog around it but it would'nt go near the batting cage...it would bark and back away from there...so we went and sat on the bleachers facing it and my bf goes...do you see it?
I looked at the batting cage and said ...a rolling F*** scene?
yeah...
we sat there and watched this ghost girl get raped over and over by four
ghost guys for an hour in horror.
we and the dog were sober.....so I got obsessed with it!

I was back every night for a month...alone and with all my friends ..

I could'nt belive it. the whole football field was haunted as hell.

I found several other ghosts.

when you walked up to the gate , there was a figure in the bleachers across the field......when you walked to the bleachers it was gone and there was a person standing at the gate.

when you look up at the empty box that the announcer sat in...figures moved around in the shadows.

my friends started warning me to stay away from the spooks there............

it was bad...

....this thing started where everytime I went to sleep...

in the twillight between awake and asleep...group screaming would wake me up.
it sounded like the beginning of pink floyds "breathe"...or .."the wall"
..............with the chopper noise then AAAAHHHHHHHHH!

it didnt stop till I moved from that apt.

like they followed me home....how weird is that ?

they cant hurt you but they make you very nervous.
the whole town knows about the school....its urban legend there.
the kids know.

they ended up closing that batting cage..
even the apts I lived in were 50 years old and alot of people died there
creeeeepy!

the school...boarded up the tool shed and batting cage now it was so weird.

__________________________________________________ ________
I saw one in my apartment.

I woke up in the middle of the night....and turned over,
as I turned over I could see the dinning room from the bed.
....there was a girl sitting in one of the DR chairs looking right at me.
I blinked and she was gone but I flushed with chills and the hair on my neck stood up.
I got up and turned on all the lights, and kept them on for a very very long time after.
all my friends said....
.........how much acid did ya do suz?
only my parents belived me....my mom stayed w/ me a week or so after the hant.

...this one is a good one!

I was asleep next to my BF...and I sleep with a fan on to drown out daytime noise...Ive always been a night person.
.....I was dead asleep and I woke up to click! click! click! click!
so I threw back the covers and got up going toward the fan saying
"the ******* oscillating fan is stuck!"

I get there and stop.....my bf (different bf from last story) goes.." that aint the oscillating fan suz...."
I sat down on the end of the bed
......."its comming from under the bed"..I could feel the bed moving
everytime it went click! click!
...................I freaked and it woke me right up!

I was on my knees in the middle of the bed ....trying to keep my feet from getting eaten off or some crap....and it sounded like someone knocking or running all the way around the room...it started behind me on that wall

then moved all the way around all four walls....and I was out the door....sounded like when squrells scamper across a roof or something
but this was an end apt made of brick!
I dunno how that noise could be made in there in that way.
impossible.
we went to the bfs house to sleep that night....

everytime I had these kind of experiences I live in the apts next to the school.
<!--TEMPLATE: skin_global, Template Part: signature_separator-->

SuzzanneX
04-29-08, 09:45 PM
I called me a nutcase.
...you're fine. *smiles*

texasmissb
04-30-08, 09:39 AM
I now see more animals than people in the last 5 years, it never scares me because its almost always in the day time and they look tangible so until they disappear I dont know they are ghost. Now the feeling of some evil presence is different I get really scared, when this happens I usually dont see anything but doors close, tv comes on, ceiling fan turns by itself. My boyfriend doesnt really believe in anything and when he has witnessed these things, he will just say he doesnt know how what ever happened but he is sure there is a "logical" explanation. Whatever it is this stuff has happened to me for as long as I can remember so I dont think its our house. I know that my fear seems to make it worse as does praying about it. I have come to the conclusion that for me it is best to ignore and refuse to recognise it when it has that negative feeling and it seems to go away faster. My mother has the same experiences so she believes me too. My boyfriend I think may but that is a very big stretch for him. If I pin him down on explaining something that he saw too he will just not answer me. My ex boyfriend believed me but I dont think he really did until we lived together. I have wondered if my mind makes this up but I dont see how if others see it too. As far as them feeling whatever that negative energy is, no one else does.

SuzzanneX
04-30-08, 07:00 PM
I thought shadow people were just for tweakers...
....nope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_people

sober peeps can smell them, and feel dred...
......I was just like....pffft.

so.

after some of the other spooks running around.
.......where I saw the girl ghost...she went away for awhile, after the excrosist
did the 7 day cande/ cleansing thing. (my uncle was dating an excrocist at the time coincedentally, she came and ran her off and told me not to give her any energy, like turning on all the lights and freaking out)

.......till I picked up meth again.....then she came back.

and would sit and look at the side of my face, 2 inches away, while i was drawing.
.......I'd say....go look at TV or something whats wrong with you?
you trying to haunt me again?? LOL!

Arei
05-01-08, 01:12 AM
Mmmkay...

........and whats worse is....sometimes........right before I doze off.

I get this feeling my body is dead, and my mind is panicking to wake up.

I had that happen once about 2-3 years ago, and thankfully its only happened once. This was before I took any medicines.

As soon as my head hit the pillow this night, I immediately started dreaming, I mean IMMEDIATELY. I was in a dream state while I was still technically awake and conscious. My throat's dry, and I want to get up and get a glass of water. When I tried to wake up the dream immediately vanished and I felt totally paralyzed. I couldn't breathe or move and I felt like I was being sucked into something. After a few seconds I woke up, took forever before I went back to sleep that night, scared the living crap outta me. THANKFULLY it hasn't happened again.

Every so often, as long as I can remember, I have gotten the "falling sensations" but thats about it.

Iluvpoptarts
06-27-08, 08:38 PM
i have this too.. sometimes i snap out of it quickly within seconds, and sometimes it can last a minite ormore and i will have delusions.. pretty scary..
its called the "hypnogogic state" or REM and its related to nacrolapsy.

Snow
07-02-08, 01:13 PM
I used to get sleep paralysis once or twice a week for a few months when I was in my late teens... very, very scary to wake up and not be able to move - mind plays tricks on you... I thought I was being abducted by aliens! :rolleyes:

roseblood
09-26-08, 01:57 PM
This has been happening to me since I was about 15. I had begun to get used to it but the more I've looked around the Internet for other people's stories, the more afraid I've become again. This is because many of these stories involve claims which suggest the hallucinations may not be hallucinations, such as witnesses to them, and changes in the environment that remain when the paralysis stops (I have decided I would by far prefer to believe myself to be psychotic than haunted) and because they involve experiences I haven't had, but which I have no reason to believe I never would have, especially once the ideas are planted in my brain.

Anyway, the point is, I really want it to stop happening. Perhaps more than I want anything else. Wikipedia's page on it now claims that Ritalin can help. Others' experiences here appear to confirm that. Can anyone tell me more about any connection they've found with medication? My appointment is for next week and I think I may beg for Ritalin whether they think I have ADHD or not. Acetylcholine, which plays a part in concentration, is the same neurotransmitter that causes at least the normal, unconscious kind of paralysis found in REM sleep. So perhaps both conditions can be caused by the same underlying malfunction?

Justtess
11-06-08, 09:01 AM
OMGosh.... I didn't know other people experienced this too!

It doesn't happen to me as often as it did years ago, however, in my teen and early 20s, I used to get these often (and hated it too)

I would wake up in the early morning unable to move and try as hard as I can to move something. There is a pressing feeling as if something is pushing me into the mattress. I try to scream but no sound will come out.

I thought some "force" was doing this... then one episode, I tried as hard as I could to sit up and all the sudden I felt like I was floating to the ceiling. I turned around and saw myself sleeping on my bed. In an instance I fell back into the mattress and wake up breathing very fast.

I just read earlier this week that sleep paralysis can actually be some sort of sleep disorder where a stage of waking where you are consciously aware before your brain sends the signal for your muscles to wake up.

IDK.... I kinda liked the thought of levitating... then a bit freaked out if I couldn't return.

SuzzanneX
11-06-08, 10:05 AM
wow! you had an out of body experience!

...dedicated meditators try very hard to achieve that thru meditation.

I could never do it.

bailee33
11-06-08, 12:37 PM
Are you taking any sleep meds? If so, I think alot of them have this side affect. I remember hating bedtime b/c the med I was on made me feel all weird and out of body and if I took it too early I could barley even walk and get in bed. I also passed out a couple times. But if your not taking any sleep meds and your tired during the day and get paralysis at bedtime it may indicate narcolepsy (I only say that b/c paralysis and cataplexy are symptoms of narcolepsy). FYI

Topspin
11-08-08, 03:28 AM
Some points concerning the appearance of ghosts and animal spirits:

1. There is nothing "crazy" about it.
2. It is a neurological condition, much like ADD
3. Some people are predisposed to it; it can also be induced by drugs.
4. While you are actually seeing (or hearing or feeling) these things, this does not mean that it actually exists in the outside world
5. It is not uncommon for a family member to be experiencing what you are experiencing; like ADD these states of mind are often genetically passed down
6. Find a doctor you can trust; he or she should be able to help you clarify things, and also help you block out whatever it is that you are seeing (if this is what you'd like)

Seeing, hearing or feeling things that are out of the ordinary (i.e. visual, auditory and tactile hallucinations) are not the same as sleep paralysis or the out of body experiences that occur during sleep.

Justtess
11-09-08, 06:34 PM
Seeing, hearing or feeling things that are out of the ordinary (i.e. visual, auditory and tactile hallucinations) are not the same as sleep paralysis or the out of body experiences that occur during sleep

Topspin, I'm not sure what you are saying. :confused:

Perhaps the out of body experience was hallucination (I would like to think so:p) If it really happend, I would be more curious as to how to control it since the whole experience was not in my conscious control.

SP would wreck havoic on my anxiety anyway... maybe it only happens to younger people.

Topspin
11-12-08, 08:27 PM
Hey Justtess,

Sorry for the confusion. I was comparing two things to each other....
1. The appearance of ghosts and animal spirits while you're wide awake
2. Sleep paralysis and out of body experiences (these happen during sleep, just as you're about to fall asleep, or just as you're about to wake up)

The first is less common and more serious--it can respond well to medication if you choose to be medicated. The second can happen to almost everyone given the right conditions, and are more common.

Both do not "really happen" (at least not in the realm of science..!). However they can feel as real as real life :D

SuzzanneX
11-13-08, 09:37 AM
I've seen so many spooks, I can hardly believe other people haven't.

illusive
11-29-08, 07:12 PM
Ah, I wonder if a higher percentage of people who have ADD suffer from Sleep Paralysis than the percentage of people who don't?

My own experiences with sleep paralysis I certainly wouldnt wish on anyone. But it does make life interesting.

The thing to keep in mind when you cant move is that it will always pass. If you have experienced it before and have some sort of understanding of it as an experience that passes then that can help in trying to stay calm.

I think its the individuals own perogative weather they choose to attribute a scientific or a spiritual explanation to crazy sleep things.

olavia
11-29-08, 07:35 PM
Oh yeah, this is sleep paralysis. I had that many times. I talked it over with my neurologist, she wanted me to check out narcolepsy. I donīt think I have that. Still going for a sleep test though.

I donīt find it so scary because I found out what it is. It really is a crazy feeling, I can think to myself that "right now I want to move", but nothing moves!. And then I can observe that I am thinking these things and that my body does not move. And then the vivid imagery. If I get it in the morning, it is a lot worse than in the evening though, cause my dreams get so nightmarish and I want to wake up and I canīt even if I am sort of awake, and I want to move, but canīt.

Funny with the weight on the chest. I get that too, and found that meditation made it a lot worse! During the session that is. And then I got into this hypnagogic state.

The strange thing is that I had some attacks in the afternoon after I started with ritalin. Canīt remember I got that before. So I am quite convinced this is related to ADD and variations in dopamine firing etc. Since it comes in the ritalin withdrawal phase, it makes sense that other people also get it when going off Adderal. The scientific explanation for me:-)

Mooch
11-29-08, 09:41 PM
sleep paralysis is a huge sign for narcolepsy

narcolepsy is much more widespread then we realize since we only tend to associate it with narcolepsy as seen in movies. but if you have sleep paralysis, have any funny sensory stuff while falling asleep it should definitely be looked at.

i think im a bit narcoleptic since i have a tendency to dream as i fall asleep and ive had dreams when i'm waking up that are semi-lucid and they're freaky since ill try to open my eyes or talk in them but i can't...pretty sure it's a form of sleep paralysis.

i want to get a sleep test done but you have to set it up way in advance where i am since they're usually booked and you have to be off all sleep aids/stims etc for 2 weeks before making it difficult....:-/

Lola
01-26-09, 03:45 PM
NO WAY! I get this too although it's been ages since the last episode. Mine always turns into someone there who is trying to touch me. I know I'm not asleep but I can't move. I got it so often for a while that I knew nothing could hurt me and let it carry on but then got too spooked and finally manage to let out a very wimpish scream which brings me back to life! Not sure it's ADD related and I don't take meds........although the first time it happened was when I went through a spell of trying amphetamines. Had it lots since when not taken anything for years...

Shirei13
01-26-09, 04:39 PM
A few days ago I had a dream about me dreaming, and in that dream I was reliving parts of my live that I had forgotten about, switching from one moment to another every few minutes but I felt drunk. I couldn't stand straight and I kept falling over. I began to panic, I knew I was dreaming however but I couldn't wake up and began to have a panic attack? I figured if I laid the same way I was sleeping I would wake up, eventually I found the position and I woke up in a panic. It felt like I was underwater the whole dream and I finally surfaced, I started gasping for air but eventually calmed down. It was a very odd experience.

SuzzanneX
01-27-09, 11:04 PM
Ive gotten so good at em, I pretend I'm at a beta conscienceless red light now.
..I just wait until I can move.

roseblood
04-23-09, 08:06 AM
The strange thing is that I had some attacks in the afternoon after I started with ritalin. Canīt remember I got that before. So I am quite convinced this is related to ADD and variations in dopamine firing etc. Since it comes in the ritalin withdrawal phase, it makes sense that other people also get it when going off Adderal. The scientific explanation for me:-)
I've been on Equasym (IR methylphenidate) for 8 days and haven't had any sleep paralysis in that time. For the last few weeks I'd been having it every night to every other night. Could be coincidental this early on but I'm hoping the stimulants actually reduce it for me as some people report. I suppose it's like insomnia and anxiety. Sometimes stims help, sometimes they make it worse. As I've mentioned, acetylcholine is a neurotransmitter implicated in both ADHD and sleep paralysis, so perhaps it is the reason why medication for one seems to affect the other.

Stimulants also sometimes reduce the time spent in REM sleep. The first few mornings, I woke up feeling like I'd had a terrible night's sleep even though I'd had my normal hours and no SP, and I wonder if this is due to a lack of the REM stage. Maybe after that adjustment period the Equasym stopped leaving me with too little REM sleep and actually normalised my sleep stage transitions so that the REM brain activity doesn't continue after I wake or set in before I sleep. Interestingly, I often go from awake to dreaming to unconscious, which is apparently associated with sleep disorders, instead of from awake to unconscious to dreaming, so my timing is off even when not having SP. I'll post here if anything changes.

doiadhd
06-24-09, 08:45 PM
ok glad to know i'm not the only one with sleep paralysis.

this ghost business is freaking me out though....a fair bit.

lets say i,m about 5-7 years old and i have a great-omg getting old thoughts back....
and i have a great imagination!I play shot the pretend soldiers while they are on the stairs and my brother wants to play-i say no for what ever reason and my mum and dad beg me to let him play so i agree,he starts shooting in the wrong direction straight away i,m saying they are over here cant you see them?he is saying they are here i'm really confused as to what is going on here........kids at school play similar games....but it is not the same at all....i wanna know why they dont want to play the real one

I really dont know-in my mind at the moment i remember them as blurry green....i gotta stop this now.

KDLMaj
06-25-09, 03:45 AM
I've had this off and on all my life. There IS evidence of a connection between ADHD and sleep paralysis actually (as well as a connection between anxiety disorders and sleep paralysis).

It was a HUGE relief when I discovered what it was- god it was terrifying as a kid. I don't get the "evil presence" or "choking" (thank god), but to this day the terror is overwhelming. Even though I know exactly what it is logically, the feeling of terror never fades. On the plus side, I have lots of interesting out of body experiences on the off times when there's less terror (low enough that I can completely intellectualize it)-it's fun to feel like you're floating.