View Full Version : What is this 504/IEP stuff and how can I get it?

Arei
05-01-08, 10:16 PM
I need help, like, really bad :(

I'm shutting down at the speed of light. I had to quit my job because I was under so much stress from school work and them wanting more hours from me, that my hair started to fall out... and it still hasn't grown back :mad: *pokes stupid bald spot*

I'm not challenged or anything, its not that I don't "get" things. I just have a hard time with the work, because its very overwhelming and when I get overwhelmed I just shut off. Which makes me more stressed out, which makes everything even worse and so on and so forth.

I'm in danger of failing one class, and my sanity will be gone if I have to retake it.

I've lost my motivation to do anything, and I'm a VERY strong writer and timed essays, which I'm usually good at have become a challenge.

I just wanna run away screaming!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I see these custom school plans, and I would REALLY like them. I will NOT get any better continuing the way I am, its NOT just gonna go away and I HAVE been doing what I can to make it better, but I cannot do this on my own. Pushing myself harder and harder is not helping.

But the problem is, I'm not a challenged student. I do not have a learning disability, but my stress has agitated my ADHD, which really affects my concentration and work ethic. Its effected even my HOBBIES, the stuff I LIKE and WANT to do, I can't even find the motivation to DRAW anymore, my favorite thing to do!!! (and I need portfolio pieces!! tons of them!!)

Ugh, its like the free/reduced lunch program. My mom had hardly any money, we had to dig through our apartment trying to find change so I could buy lunch, but they basically would not give us the free/reduced lunch because my mom's income was too high, even though due to her debt (thanks dad XP) and bills we hardly had any money left over, that didn't seem to matter, I couldn't get it.

I can't help but think this is the same thing. My test scores are high, but it comes down to my school grades more then my test scores, my grades in the classes go on the transcript. They REALLY do not reflect the work I'm capable of...

All I know is I'm getting worse, the ADHD meds are not helping me (I need a doctor who will properly assess me XP). This will NOT get better with time, which I've almost run out of and pushing myself to do it does NOT work anymore.

Nor does doing the work make me feel a sense of accomplishment. I just feel even more stressed because I had to do the work.

I do not want an easy curriculum, but a different enviorment. Like where I could work at my own pace with the hard stuff, and fly through the easy useless crap. Of course, they have schools like that but my mom doesn't want to pay for it. And I REALLY need to do my AP Art protfolio to shoot for an art scholarship, because we really don't have alot of money, and I need to get college hours from my AP scores. In alot of "own pace" schools they don't offer that stuff.

FrazzleDazzle
05-01-08, 10:49 PM
Arei, breathe! There.

I would suggest that you do go and get that proper evaluation, it would do you a world of good, if you have not had one yet. Most ADHD has a tagalong, so you will need to find out if you have anything like depression or anxiety or other. You will learn sooooo very much about yourself, the doc will help you to understand your strengths and your challenges, and work with you on some plans to help you with those challenges, and perhaps make some med suggestions or changes too. They will also give suggestions on what they feel would help you on a 504 plan. Then you take that evaluation to a 504 meeting at your school. Read up on wrights law so you have a basic understanding of your rights. On the homepage of the forum you can find resources for obtaining a 504 too.

Arei
05-01-08, 10:58 PM
Thanks ^^

I know I've got anxiety, and I think the stress and anxiety and concentration/overwhelming feelings have made me feel depressed @_@ complicated.

*has trouble breathing* XDDD I have stress-induced breathing problems too... fun =P

FrazzleDazzle
05-01-08, 11:02 PM
Anxiety can certainly make the ADHD symptoms worse. It is a common problem for ADHD to shut down when ADHD gets overwhelmed. I see it in my son all to often. I had anxiety so bad in college, just reading you post made it all come back! :) I truly believe a thorough eval will help you through all your stuff, it's the best place to start.

Arei
05-01-08, 11:06 PM
Ok then, I will definitely get that done ^_^ (though my mom is very slow/lazy when it comes to making appointments =_=)

I feel stupid telling people though, because I can't tell if they're going to understand or just call me lazy. My mom told my history teacher, because he was concerned about my grades not really reflecting how good some of my work was. I'm afraid to tell my other teachers myself, because I'm afraid they will think I'm making up "excuses" because I don't want to do it.

I REALLY don't mind doing it, because it wouldn't take me THAT long if I could just sit down and do it all straight @__@

FrazzleDazzle
05-01-08, 11:14 PM
I hear ya. Good thing to keep the lines of communications going. I wish for you, understanding teachers. I'm not sure how much accommodations they may afford you though, without the 504, maybe summer would be a good time to get that out of the way, and you can start next fall with a fresh/clean/shiny slate! :)

Arei
05-02-08, 09:08 AM
I'm sure a couple of them MIGHT work with me, my french teacher would, but I'm really concerned with English =X Its suppose to be a college level class... @_@ I just wanna go to art school.....

wifeandmom
05-03-08, 04:43 PM
Arei,

I would suggest you go talk to your guidance counselor and get specific information on what you need to do to pursue a 504. You'll have to be persistent; the schools usually aren't falling all over themselves to set them up. It took literally YEARS for us to get one for my dd. I don't say that to discourage you from trying. Every school is different based on the priorities of the administration and every district is different too.

After you talk to your counselor, throw yourself on the mercy of your teachers, especially your Art teacher, since that's your intended course of study.

Arei
07-17-08, 10:27 PM
I'm going to be talking to my counselor once I get back to school @_@

I've picked the art college I want to go to, and my SATs and general GPA are high enough for me to get in, but I have had it with high school. I will burn it to the ground...

So, I was thinking of going the GED route... to save my sanity xD I only have one year left so I might get discouraged from it, but if I get really upset again then my mind is made up.

I'm getting info and going to meet with these people from the art school, and they do take GEDs. My test scores and art skills are good enough to get me in, but I'd feel much better if they will accept my GED if I do go down that way.

I've stopped my ADHD medicine because it doesn't help, it just horribly surpresses my appetite, and I'm very very tired of the side effects. I've also stopped the anti-depressents, though they did me more good then bad. I've been doing accupuncture and herbs, and its working but I still have quite a bit of emotional instability... Its getting worse, I might literally bite someone's head off xDDD

Anyway, thought I'd just throw in an update here.

mctavish23
07-17-08, 11:39 PM
Please check out this book when you get a chance. It's excellent.

How To Reach & Teach Children with ADD/ADHD by Sandra Rief ( Jossey-Bass).

What she's done is take all the most important research from the the last 20 years or so (that's an approximation but it doesn't matter, as it's completely evidence based ), organize it under different headings, and then provide the references.

It's like a giant literature review.

hope that helps

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)