View Full Version : Scholarships for high school

nhasheville
05-11-08, 04:55 PM
I am trying to find information on how to apply for assistance in paying for my son's private school. He is unable to attend public school because of his ADHD.

Jarleigannor
05-14-08, 10:26 AM
I am trying to find information on how to apply for assistance in paying for my son's private school. He is unable to attend public school because of his ADHD.

If there are well defined aspects that the local public school is unable to accomodate, they are required to cover tuition for a school that will provide him with a "Free and Appropriate Education". But that can only happen with specific, supported information and issues. They can't be forced to pay on the basis of a diagnostic label, or when they provide supports to accomodate his needs. If they could, the public school system would probably be in an even more desperate financial situation.

The public school system isn't required to provide the *best* education, just one that qualifies as free and appropriate. "Best" is pretty much a personal decision that brings personal financial responsibility.

That said, most private schools do have their own scholarship programs for both financial need and academic achievement. Have you contacted them about aid?

Jarleigannor
05-14-08, 10:33 AM
Just wanted to add, NC does have a virtual public school if that route interests you.

Tara
05-14-08, 12:49 PM
Talking to an Educational consultant is probably the best place to start. They have listings at http://www.educationalconsulting.org