View Full Version : Zyprexa

Xero
05-14-08, 06:13 AM
Well, I went to see my pdoc today and he prescribed me another drug. I'm a little concerned about it after having read up about it since there are a lot of side effects. Pdoc believes I am comorbid with some form of Bipolar type 1. Was diagnosed in Jan 08 and given Dex, then started Valproate in Feb 500mg/2x daily. In Early march I was upped to 1000mg 2x/daily and nearly lost the plot. Since starting Valproate I've been quiet on edge and nervous, anxious and so on.

Currently on Dexamphetamine (Dexedrine) 50mg/day, Valproate 500mg twice/day and now given Zyprexa wafers. Mostly worried about this drug as it almost certainly promotes weight gain - which I am sensitive to as I suspect I am bullemic but too scared to tell ANYONE). More anxiety I guess.

Anyone have any good/bad experienece cpmbining these 3 drugs and/or experienced weight gain on Zyprexa? Or even other side effects?

Thanks!

fxfake
05-14-08, 02:11 PM
Currently on Dexamphetamine (Dexedrine) 50mg/day, Valproate 500mg twice/day and now given Zyprexa wafers. Mostly worried about this drug as it almost certainly promotes weight gain - which I am sensitive to as I suspect I am bullemic but too scared to tell ANYONE). More anxiety I guess.

How do you suspect that you are bulimic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulimia_nervosa)? I guess the non-purging type (<10% of cases) could be less-than-obvious, but the more common type would seem more clear-cut.

Either way it's something that you really should mention to your doctor. You don't have to tell the doctor the self-diagnosis; you can tell him/her the symptoms (if that makes you less nervous).

Regarding the valproate... have you told your doc about the side effects? Has it provided benefits? If not, why are you continuing on it? If there are benefits, why the Zyprexa? These are the kind of questions you need to ask your doctor.

netsavy006
05-14-08, 08:48 PM
I currently take Zyprexa Zydis. It helps me very much. I use to have terrable mood instability before Zyprexa. I have gained some weight on it though but it's something I'm going to have to live with. Zyprexa I read is one of the best drugs on the US market for getting your head straight. For me, Zyprexa was a godsend. I like how it evens my mood and how it helps with anxiety too. Give it a chance. It's not a bad drug, except for the weight gain.

I've heard off of Insider Medicine in 60, that you can take Metformin in combination with lifestyle changes to help with the weight gain.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bH0FUtN7dnQ

Xero
05-15-08, 07:07 AM
How do you suspect that you are bulimic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulimia_nervosa)? I guess the non-purging type (<10% of cases) could be less-than-obvious, but the more common type would seem more clear-cut.

I don't really binge. I just purge even if its a few mouthfuls of something I dont think I should have eaten or if I feel I've overeaten. I've been doing it since 2003. It's not a self-diagnosis at all but it seems to be what it is. I probably should mention it to the doctor but I keep forgetting to.

Regarding the valproate... have you told your doc about the side effects? Has it provided benefits? If not, why are you continuing on it? If there are benefits, why the Zyprexa? These are the kind of questions you need to ask your doctor.

I might call them tommorow. My first day on Zyprexa was a train wreck. I've been anxious, feeling miserable, dizzy, sleepy, and had strong feelings that I couldn't connect with other people and sat at my desk staring at nothing contemplating things like why my heart was still beating and why I was still conscious!

Another vague self-diagnosis but it sounds a bit like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychosis Psychosis... I'm kind of annoyed that the pdos I've been going to ... hasnt done any tests with me. No SPECT, no verbal tests, nothing to indicate whether I have ADD or the anger disorder and bipolar he claims I have. He just keeps saying to hang in there saying my speech needs to improve and I have to work hard on improving my confidence thru therapy and so on.

Really I'm just not sure ... what to do.

netsavy006
05-19-08, 02:21 PM
Well the first few days on zyprexa zydis was a bit rough for me too. It made me sleep over 11 hours a night and I felt drugged and "flat". You will feel out of sorts for the first few days. It's part of the adjustment period. Over time the side effects should lessen if not completely go away. The weight gain I do understand is a concern for you. It concerns me too. But I continue to take the Zyprexa Zydis because I want to remain well. Here's a page that has suggestions on weight gain side effects:

http://crazymeds.us/WeightEffects.htm

I'm also bipolar 1, and the med I rely on most to releave my symptoms is in fact Zyprexa. I know that if I take it, I won't have all the ups and downs I did before.

If you are really worried about weight gain, you could ask the doctor for a trial of either abilify or geodon as they are weight neutral drugs.

LVG
05-19-08, 05:53 PM
Adjustment period for me was pretty rough. I had a very strong hypomanic experience (most hypomanic / manic I've ever been) in the first week that lasted for a day or two.

After 5-10 days I adjusted and it was great. Made me sleep VERY VERY well, woke up refreshed on 8 hours. My head was clear, but it did make me a little more hyper on average. Switched to Lamictal for the mood problem beause I was getting very small twtich/involuntary muscle movements from the Zyprexa which scared me, but looking back it was mild and I did sort of like Zyprexa.

I CRAVED sugar, cake, ice cream, food etc. I gained like 10-15 lbs in 2 months. Mostly because I couldn't control myself from eating ice cream all the time.

E4rolls
05-25-08, 01:51 PM
I have been taking 15mg Zyprexa for almost 3 years and it helps me alot with the mood swings. I have gained over 30 lbs since I started taking it and that is the worst side effect I've experienced. Before I started Zyprexa I was having bad depression every afternoon and now that problem is gone. Really good med for me.

tom888
05-25-08, 06:25 PM
i gained 5kg in a week or two... it will make ya hungry and is prescribed off label for bulimia - i think your doc knows already we do too so why not talk about it freely?

strange&unusual
07-17-08, 10:39 PM
I am on zyprexa zydis and I love it. it stabilizes my moods and stops panic attacks which had become debilitating since I trialled strattera. I am also on 50 mgs of dexamphetamine a day. Zyprexa zydis did aggravate my restless leg syndrome and my pdoc instructed me to take 10 mgs of dex on going to bed. He was right! It worked and no more RSL. I found also that if I swallowed any of the dissolving zyprexa then I would be up all night eating. I mean a seriously out of control appetite. I now do not swallow ANY of the dissolving wafer, I even go to the extreme of rinsing out my mouth after the wafer has dissolved. I have lost weight using this method as my appetite is further reduced. I prefer zyprexa zydis over valproic acid which made my hair fall out and did nothing for my panic disorder. Personally Zyprexa Zydis is really helpful....apart from heavy comatose sleeping and waking up in a pool of drool :D

netsavy006
07-18-08, 08:17 PM
strange&unusual there are medications that can be tried to help the drooling. They are labeled anticholenergic medications and include Cogentin and Artane. I take Cogentin but not for the drooling and it helps with the restlessness I get from the Abilify.

curseandablessi
07-20-08, 10:29 PM
Hubby's been taking it for about a year. It's not caused him weight gain, he takes the zydis form at night, before bed.

netsavy006
07-21-08, 03:49 PM
Zydis usually doesn't have the same weight problem so I'm told.

strange&unusual
07-22-08, 02:56 AM
strange&unusual there are medications that can be tried to help the drooling. They are labeled anticholenergic medications and include Cogentin and Artane. I take Cogentin but not for the drooling and it helps with the restlessness I get from the Abilify.

Thanks for the recommendation I will look into that before I destroy more bedlinen.

netsavy006
07-22-08, 05:03 PM
You're welcome strange&unusual. Happy to help. Reason why this works is because the anticholenergics has a side effect of dry mouth and if your mouth is dry, there ain't much chance of drooling...

Guest1
09-07-08, 12:36 AM
my fionce is on this one is there any side affects you guys have and whats your feelings towards it other then you wrote on here

E4rolls
11-29-08, 09:54 PM
Well, I went to see my pdoc today and he prescribed me another drug. I'm a little concerned about it after having read up about it since there are a lot of side effects. Pdoc believes I am comorbid with some form of Bipolar type 1. Was diagnosed in Jan 08 and given Dex, then started Valproate in Feb 500mg/2x daily. In Early march I was upped to 1000mg 2x/daily and nearly lost the plot. Since starting Valproate I've been quiet on edge and nervous, anxious and so on.

Anyone have any good/bad experienece cpmbining these 3 drugs and/or experienced weight gain on Zyprexa? Or even other side effects?

Thanks!

Zyprexa has ruined my life! :) joking!
I gained 45 pounds in three months after starting Zyprexa. My appetite was furious! Now I can't seem to diet/excersize the weight off my body , IDK why.

Ravenna
11-30-08, 10:25 PM
I heart my zyprexa...it keeps me sane. I am a manic mess without it.

Yes Im gaining weight and craving sugar and carbs, but Im trying to stay aware of what I eat and trying to get a little exercise each day, hopefully that will keep the weight gain to a minimum.