View Full Version : Vyvanse & Depression

MusikGeliebter
05-22-08, 10:37 PM
Well, I've been taking Vyvanse 70mg for about a week now, before that I had a week off and was taking Vyvanse 60mg for two weeks. And, before that I was on Concerta 108mg for several years.

I just wanted to give my thoughts on Vyvanse and Depression. I have begun to notice that I become depressed in the evenings on Vyvanse and I believe others have written about this.

I believe this depression is from crashing, but it's so different than crashing from the other ADHD drugs that it seems somehow much worse, even though it's better . . .

Let me explain what I'm thinking!

When crashing from Concerta I always felt really depressed, agitated, sick, upset to such an extreme that it started to not bother me, because I knew it would pass pretty soon. I knew it wasn't real. The way I felt was so extreme I knew not to take it seriously.

But, the crash from Vyvanse is "smoother" and so the crash is milder, it's less extreme, which makes me feel depressed, worried, anxious and sad.

You would think that a crash from Vyvanse is easier to take, but for me it's not. I dealt with depression once before in my life, years and years ago, and the crash from Vyvanse mirrors that depression and sadness so well that I actually get convinced every night that I'm depressed.

Let's recap:

The crash from concerta was bad enough that emotionally it didn't bother me because I knew it wasn't real.

The crash from Vyvanse is so much like real depression that having to experience that every night is making me depressed!

Anybody else have any thoughts about this?

Uncreate
05-23-08, 05:16 AM
I have the crash as well. I ended up taking my other pill 2 hours later (2 70mg) and it has worked pretty well with no crash so far. But I must add the the crash was like a down period for 2 hours and then the medicine came back and I felt right again. So now I get the crash when it's bed time.

hollywood
05-23-08, 09:16 AM
I know exactly what your talking about , imagine trialing doses that are not medically large enough so that this crash comes at mid day and last for two hours then back to the normal silly scattered brain that being unmedicated is like....I'd think and ir tablet before the crash would lessen it's duration and help-

streetsk8er794
05-24-08, 11:14 AM
Yep. Crashes suck. Thats why I take 50 mg at 8 am, and 30 mg at 2 pm. No crashes. Period. And about 16 hour coverage. Which is wierd because with only the 1st dose, it lasts for only 6 hours. I think when you're taking 2 doses it has a compound effect and lasts just MUCH longer in the body.

ToneTone
05-24-08, 10:08 PM
MUSIC,

That is one brilliant and insightful post. Truly helpful in capturing a paradox. I'm wondering if you can now begin to practice "not taking seriously" the gradual crash when it comes. I know ... it comes on so slowly that it's not as noticeable as when the concerta wore off ....

But you might be able to identify even the subtle symptoms as you've done here and you may, MAY, be able to practice ignoring those symptoms as well until they pass. Or do they last longer?

Good luck. I really did find your post extremely helpful in sorting out a happening that is strange and odd but totally understandable.

hollywood
05-29-08, 10:30 AM
Musik,

I was wondering how you were doing and handling the vyvanse. I was trialing vyvanse coming from 108 concerta as well. I went back to concerta and cut my dosages back to only 54mg and ir's when needed. My doc hasn't been insightful so being that I've always been logical adhd I'll just handle the scatteredness the best I can . I had read in a post by higherfunctioning regarding the dose per dose magnitude of vyvanse vs adderall being that if your taking adderall for 12hr coverage vs vyvanse for 16hr coverage "hypothetical based on the pi sheet" that the dose of vyvanse would have lower peak concentrations during the elongated period which would explain why you would actually require more mg's than the conversion shows....For example , if you were taking adderall 60mg for 12hr coverage that would equate to vyvanse 140mg but the concentration graphs would be lower , so realistically you would need a higher dose of vyvanse since the peak plasma levels would be far lower due to the vyvanse acting longer. Thus it would only make sense to achieve the same benefit of vyvanse compared to adderall , one would have to increase the vyvanse dosage accordingingly to achieve the same peak plasma levels that mirrored adderall xr's effects-
I'm pretty sure that makes sense-

irelienon
05-29-08, 10:33 PM
Vyvanse was the first ADD drug I tried; it was amazing the first day, and honestly was probably the most helpful in terms of managing my ADD. I was more organized, focused, collected, and less anxious. Until it wore off, when I became totally antisocial, spacey (in a bad way), and depressed. The depression wasn't a severe emotional reaction, it was almost more disturbing...like I really wouldn't want to leave the house or talk to people, and didn't care if I did. I'm trying XR now which seems to be better (and which I don't completely understand since I thought Vyvanse was also made by Shire, but whatever.)

Anyway, yeah, for me it was beyond a "crash" of becoming tired and a little irritable...it significantly decreased my quality of life in the evenings, which for a mid 20's single female is unacceptable :>

seriously12345
05-29-08, 10:47 PM
Damnnnnnnnnnnnn I Just Got Vyvanse, Switched From Adderall.... Um, I Hope Yall Are Kidding About All This Depression Crap. I Cant Have That!!

Uncreate
06-07-08, 04:26 AM
Well doctors are told to start people on low doses of vyvanse even after they have been stims for years. I don't see the point. No one has really made it well known that 30mg of vyvanse is like a sugar pill to some.

jpwilhelm
01-05-09, 02:55 PM
I have been on Vyvanse for 2 months now. First 30mg and now 70mg. With the the 30 I felt it start to work for about 1 hour and then I slipped into some flat feeling funk. I told the Dr and She put me on 70mg and a 15mg Dexedrine Spansule for when the Vyvanse fails in the afternoon. Well the 70mg of Vyvanse lasts a couple of hours but still feels funky, and when if crashes (around 1pm for me) I take the Dex. That is when I go into a very dark funky depression, almost flat like there is no reason to be living type of flatness.

I was diagnosed with ADD way before it became a fad, about 87. I had been on everything, Ritalin did not seem to do anything for me and I was on that for a while because i guess it was all they had at the time. Conserta was about like Ritalin to me like sugar pill. They tried wellbutrin for some reason. Strattera was even more of a joke. Then when Adderal came out that seemed to work. The best I was doing is when I was on 2 doses of 30mg XR a day. I just hatted the side effects I had at night (teeth grinding, uncontrollable blinking of the eyes, and lack of sleep) other than that, it was good.

I had been of of all meds for about 3 years now for insurance reasons, and my work and family life has spiraled out of control. So I wanted to get help again. So I went to the Dr and she told me about Vyvance, so I said I would try it, but this stuff is horrible :(. Sounds to me like they are just pushing it because of the copy right on XR is ending. I think I want back on XR.

The ADHD Fan
01-05-09, 03:44 PM
I know this sounds a bit paradoxical, but it's possible that some of these crash effects may be from overdosing on Vyvanse as opposed to underdosing. I've been reading quite a bit from Dr. Charles Parker, who has written about the Therapeutic Window for medications such as ADHD stimulants (http://ezinearticles.com/?ADD-ADHD-Treatment---7-Tips-on-Finding-the-Elusive-Top-of-the-Therapeutic-Window&id=1257427). In a nutshell, individuals who take too high of a dose can often exhibit similar symptoms to underdosed individuals as well as some additional negative ones. You may want to investigate with your physician this possibility and try cutting back on your Vyvanse dosage.

jpwilhelm
01-05-09, 04:21 PM
I know this sounds a bit paradoxical, but it's possible that some of these crash effects may be from overdosing on Vyvanse as opposed to underdosing. I've been reading quite a bit from Dr. Charles Parker, who has written about the Therapeutic Window for medications such as ADHD stimulants (http://ezinearticles.com/?ADD-ADHD-Treatment---7-Tips-on-Finding-the-Elusive-Top-of-the-Therapeutic-Window&id=1257427). In a nutshell, individuals who take too high of a dose can often exhibit similar symptoms to underdosed individuals as well as some additional negative ones. You may want to investigate with your physician this possibility and try cutting back on your Vyvanse dosage.

For me the 30mg had all the same funky side effects but with really no good effects life focusing, if it did it was only for less than an hour after breakfast. And by 1pm at the crash I just wanted to go to bed but you cant sleep, so I just stared into the abyss thinking life suck. even though my life is not really that bad, I have to Beautiful sons and a loving wife. I just think Vyvanse is a pill of depression and nothingness for me.

The ADHD Fan
01-05-09, 11:26 PM
That's horrible. I'm really sorry to hear that, but it's good to know that you have family with you, that you're not going at it alone. A lot of research has touted the positives of Vyvanse, but, of course, a number of reports with negative findings are simply not published. It's these personal stories which often carry a lot more weight to them, because they involve real people in real-life situations.

Based on what you've expressed, I recommend (through your physician's consent, of course) to switch to something different entirely. Stimulant medications often do result in depressive symptoms, have you possibly looked into ones like Strattera or Wellbutrin?

Please let us know how you're doing. Thanks for sharing your personal experiences with all of us on the forums.

For me the 30mg had all the same funky side effects but with really no good effects life focusing, if it did it was only for less than an hour after breakfast. And by 1pm at the crash I just wanted to go to bed but you cant sleep, so I just stared into the abyss thinking life suck. even though my life is not really that bad, I have to Beautiful sons and a loving wife. I just think Vyvanse is a pill of depression and nothingness for me.

RobbieP
01-08-09, 02:40 PM
My first medication is also Vyvanse. I began on 30mg and now 50mg in month two. My first reaction (30mg) was great as I felt the "pick me up" and my concentration seemed to be heightened. This soon passed as I got very little after week one. When I began month two (50mg) I noticed the energy level and not so much a higher concentration level but almost a Euphoric "high". I'm not exactly sure how to explain it as I haven't experienced it before.

I should probably mention that I tend to shy away from social situations and have always been shy, very "edgy" and irritated very easily, etc. I'm not sure if it's been the lack of confidence in myself that built up over time, depression due to the ADD or what. I'm not sure if I am depressed or if these are just the feelings that build up over time when ADD hasn't been addressed early on in life...?

Back to the 50mg dose. It takes 1.5 hour for the 50mg to hit me at which point I feel great and happy. I'm in a mood to call people and talk/chat, motivated to get going on projects and expand my current projects. This great feeling lasts for about 2 hours max and then the "crash". I start to think the worthless me thoughts, the thoughts about how my current work situation is hopeless (self-employed) and nobody would ever hire me for a job again, etc. These are thoughts I have had before but this phase hits me after that initial Happy Me stage and it's downhill from there...

I am stuck with a nurse practitioner that reads from her little list every time I come in so I am going to try and get in with another recommended psychiatrist even if it takes 4-6 weeks. My last visit she told me we should try 70mg since I get some benefit from the 50mg.

I'll update here as it seems like a few of us have some similar effects even though it also looks like the other meds have produced some similar results for other as well.

We'll see...

Thanks to all for the input here!

JASON973
01-08-09, 10:12 PM
Exact same thing here. Was good for about a week, and then I had 2 days that sucked. The last one was so bad. I had the same thoughts of doom. I had big plans that night, and I almost cancelled. I ended up taking a 10mg Aderall IR later, and ended up doing a complete 180. Since that day, I am off Vyvanse and just doing Aderall IR. He recomended XR, but the Vyvanse put such a bad taste in my mouth (literally and figuratively) that I didn't want anything that lasted that long.

It's only been about 2 weeks, but I like it much better. I have more control. I got 15 mg for the AM, and 15 mg for afternoon, and 10's if I need to stretch into the evening.

Good Luck

amandave
01-14-09, 07:12 PM
I went off 100mg Strattera + 20mg Methylin two months ago and switched over to Vyvanse 30mg. I'm just thankful my Dr. didn't know about the 20mg because I am sure he would have put me on it first.

First 3 days of Vyvanse was great but I think this was also because I has the Straterra in my system. After three days I had no focus. Needless to say it was a bad month.

The next month I go to see the doc and he was in a bad mood. I had to wash the four letter words out of my ears when I left. He wasn't mad toward me but his attitude was making me feel uncomfortable. He called the pharmacist to find out how long Vyvanse is supposed to last. After realizing that 30mg may not be enough he gave prescribed the 40.

40 was good for about two days. I am currently getting ready to fail two online classes. In a panic I decided to take some Strattera that I have from months ago with my Vyvanse. I have been able to get more done and I don't sit around the house worrying about every little detail about why my life sucks.

Class ends in a few days and I am going to quit taking the Straterra. I hope he moves me up to 50mg and I hope 50mg works. This is beginning to become a problem. Without the Strattera I have anxiety issues. I quit taking the Straterra because of the unwanted side effects. I really don't know what to do.

kkslider
02-07-09, 07:39 AM
the most frustrating aspect of the medication, definitely. i can deal with anxiety during the day and occasionally confusing people by being overly talkative and acting somewhat strange, but the depression and frustration that comes every evening comparable to a severe depression i faced years ago and thought was a part of my past is the absolute worst. i wish i could figure out a way to combat it, but as vyvanse has been the only effective add drug i've taken since i was diagnosed over a decade ago, i'm too afraid to risk it.

RobbieP
02-12-09, 10:11 AM
I just switched from Vyvanse for similar reasons as I have posted some previously here. In two months I moved from 30MG to 50MG of Vyvanse with minimal results but significant depression like symptoms. I would have a great hour of "feeling super", however that feeling quickly disappeared and the depression sank in for hours.

I decided to change doctors and I felt much more comfortable with my second doctor just in the number and types of questions asked. I moved to 36MG of Concerta & moving my way up in dose with Stratera to help any of the depression like symptoms. The combination works great for me although I'm still not sure where I could or should be with the Concerta. I definitely have the energy, but I do not seem to have a whole lot of focus which was also the case with the Vyvanse.

I'm sure it will take more than 3 months to find the right levels/combination, but this is a step in the right direction for me as a feel much better 24/7.

Best of luck!

Rob

brownie527
02-26-09, 07:52 PM
I have been on Vyvanse for about a month I take 140 mg per day. I work a very high pressure high stress job that pushes me sometimes beyond by breaking point. This seems to be the only kinda job I dont get bored at so I do it. I started to take meds again a few months ago to help me focus and be more productive. I took Rit for years when I was younger but went off meds. Last month I was on the Aderroll and that works well but my dr insisted on Vyvase saying it would help me multi task much better. For the fews couple weeks it worked amazing. I would go the entire day without stopping and got so much done. I would smile and feel so in control. Recently I have started to get down and sad over things. I get edgy and moody. I thought perhaps its because I dont eat all day that this is happening. But today it hit me like a ton of bricks. I was sitting in my car thinking about my life. I started to feel alone and that I was failing in life. Mind you i do live alone and I work on Average 70 hours a week. I felt like I was in a dark tunnel of emotions and I was starting to lose a grip on myself. I have never had depression however this feels like from what I hear could be it. I am going to stop taking this meds. I was on Adderoll short acting 20 mg 2 to 3 times a day and it worked well. But I noticed sometimes that I got chest pains from it. Does anyone else get that? What else would be nice? Should I go back to the rit? It always worked well. The Addy IR? Help if you can thanks!

brownie527
02-26-09, 07:53 PM
did my dr give me to much?? I use to take 20 mg adderoll now on 140mg vyvanse

tomtom
02-26-09, 08:02 PM
I take 10mg lexapro I'm the morning with 50mg vyvanae, then 50mg more vyvanse at 1pm. This has been for two weeks. I feel better and sleep much better. Loving vyvanse this is my first ADD med so I don't have anything to compare.

robin87
05-07-09, 09:20 AM
I have been prescribed Vyvanse for a short time now, and I do like it minus the "crash", which several others have addressed. I am more productive, and can finally focus on one thing and not be distracted and restless feeling like i have to get up and move all the time.

About and hour, maybe 2 after I take the pill (50mg), I feel extremely giddy and talkative-I end up having a lot of heart-to-hearts I feel like. This is getting less intense as I grow tolerant to the medicine I think. This time is also probably the time I feel most lighthearted and happy during the day with Vyvanse. I would say that feeling lasts for about 2 hours, maybe 3 for me.

However, occassionally around evening, I find myself extremely down. Not depressed more of just a weird mediocre feeling for about an hour or 2. It's really annoying, and i worry a lot at that point about stupid stuff. It is helpful to remind myself that I am not truly upset about anything, it is just the medication making me antsy. I get pretty quiet, and sometimes friends of mine ask if I'm alright. Awhile back I left a movie that I had been finding amazing out of the blue because I could not stop thinking about how much I wanted it to be over and how long it had been on. Very weird feeling.

Of course, it will definitely keep you awake if you take it too late. The earlier taken the better unless you're planning on a restless night!

Despite the weird sadness that I occassionally experience on Vyvanse, I am quite happy with my experience.

MommaMel
07-03-09, 04:01 PM
Hello, I am very new to this forum and just found this thread. Although I am 31, I was only recently diagnosed with ADHD in January. I have always suspected I struggled with the disorder and finally approached my doctor when I began a new and very demanding job. He put me on 30 mg of Vyvanse to begin with and it has changed my life. I wish I had spoken up years ago! HOWEVER, he gave me strict instructions to only take it on days I work, typically Mon-Fri. Last month we bumped up my dosage to 40mg. I usually take it at about 6 in the morning. I have also struggled with wicked anxiety all of my life but stopped taking Zoloft 2 years ago when I was pregnant. I hate the side effects of anti depressants! I work about 55 hours a week and also stay home with my two small children...you can imagine my stress level is through the roof. Lately I have been crashing shortly after noon but even before I really feel the crash my anxiety will become almost debilitating. I honestly feel as if I am on the verge of a full blown panic attack (tight chest, hyperventilation, shaking, light head, racing heart) which is terrifying while having my kids home with me. Then comes the crash....depression, accompanied by physical symptoms of disorientation, exhaustion and just feeling like crap. I am fairly young and I will feel like I am 70 years old....no energy what so ever. My mother is telling me to talk to my doctor about it but he is so conservative so I fear he will want to take me off medication all together. This medication has helped me tremendously on the focusing and being productive, that I don't want to risk it. He told me that Vyvanse is alot smoother compared to Adderall, etc so I don't even think he would switch me over to something else. And I don't have anything to compare this medication with since its my first one. Anyone have any thoughts or advice on how to deal with this??? I am almost desperate since I really cannot continue to feel this way...this isn't how to live and I worry that its affecting my kids.

Thank you!

jadedmamajess
07-03-09, 04:20 PM
interesting, in the evening when I know my meds are gone, I have been feeling very depressed and alone, just wanting to sleep the rest of the day off...

I was being treated for depression with the Vyvanse, but last week asked my dr if I could stop taking the antidepressant on a trial basis.

Last night, I remember saying to myself, "I just want it to end.... I can't deal." Maybe I need to get back on the antidepressant again. :/

burman
07-06-09, 02:48 PM
I suggest talking to your pdoc about the possibly of taking an SSRI, like Zoloft or Celexa, to supplement your Vyvanse. I've had great luck with both SSRI's. No side effects.
I suffer from anxiety. Vyvanse has helped my anxiety considerably. I also take Zoloft for depression.
I take 100 mg of Zoloft with 40mg Vyvanse around 8AM. I take both meds with a 20 gram protien drink. I eat half of a 30mg protien bar around 4 hours later and I get approximately 11 hours of coverage with no crash and I sleep like a baby. Of course, I eat periodically after I eat the protien bar because I do get very hungry on Vyvanse.
I was on Adderall SR for almost 2 years and had to quit because I couldn't deal with the crashes and only sleeping around 4 - 5 hours a day during my work week. I took Adderall SR (35mg) once a day about an hour and a half before work. It would last just long enough for me to be effective at my job. I never took the second dose.
After I would get off work, I drink a Starbucks coffee or have a regular coke to get me through the rest of the day because I usually have a lot of things on my plate daily. Hope this helps.

wilhelm
07-06-09, 04:35 PM
because vyvanse increases focus, focus your energy on being positive! trust me it works!! I was more fearful at first, not so much depressed. It actually got rid of my depression because i feel so much smarter and able to succeed at things

katerbrig
07-08-09, 05:55 PM
I have the crash as well, but I have found that taking 100mg of a mood stablizer, like Lamictal, along with my vyvanse, seems to cushion the fall a bit.

tomlinson
07-08-09, 06:15 PM
did my dr give me to much?? I use to take 20 mg adderoll now on 140mg vyvanse

I'm on 70mg of Vyvanse.

My pdoc moved me up to 120mg. I found it to be too much.
Felt like I was locked in a mental "zone" all day that was unnatural and, at the end of the day, exhausting.

Went back to 70mg, with a few Adderall 10mg IR for the evening when the Vyvanse begins to wear off, and to "spike" the Vyvanse during the day if needed.

This combination has been working pretty well.

fairtex
07-11-09, 04:04 AM
ok guys...... here we go. I've studied indocrenology aswell as exercise science for years. I have competed in competative bodybuilding and have batteled with adhd since childhood. I've tried addy xr 20mg and am currently on vyvanse 30 mg.(med)

y all these feelings of depression while on these meds????
there are a few likely reasons that may b easily solved.
First u have to understand a stimulant and what exactly it does to ur mind and body.

1. diet
Obviously its gonna decrease ur appetite
if uve ever competed in bodybuilding r have carb cut for any other reason.. i need say no more... u allready what im about to say.

if ur not eating on the med.... which alot of peep r not..... ur body gets carb depleted aswell as many other nutrient difficiencies.
see the med decreases ur appetite and u dnt eat. when infact u actually need more nourishment than normal. because the stimulant property while making u less hungry is actually making ur body burn more energy.. a.k.a. ...calories...a.k.a. food.
this makes one highly irritable. withdrawn, causes headaches and even depression and since of worthlessness.

If this isnt your problem. please contact me and ill explaine all other possible reasons aswell as how to possibly solve this.

as far as people having to constantly increase dosages and taking multiples in a day. while diet may b part of the problem its for more in depth for you and some of the others.

The patient is just ill informed. It s not deciet or even misleading, the fact is most family docs and general practitioners dnt fully understand how the med works.... asfar as hormonal effects and chemical changes in the brain.

but the depression can b beatn

(please) if you have children on med please rem they may not always express their feelings of depression to you or to neone. keep an eye on them and watch for any changescin mood.....(specifically lack of drive and interest in things they r normally passionate about)

having said this i think vyvanse is a wonderful med and by becoming educated and fully understanding how it works it has done wonders for me.

Mizdezigner
07-20-09, 08:18 PM
I know that feeling in the evening and to me its kind of stupid. Like, I feel teary eyed and so sad but I am like why? Like right now i want to cry like my best friend died or something. The thing is I suffer from depression too and I know that this feels different than regular depression. Regular depression is just blah, no motivation, no positives in life, no energy, etc....Right now its just like the feeling you have when you just got the call somebody died suddenly, like surreal and saddened. Its weird to explain because I mean to me I just feel real sensitive. I find it helps though to talk to people and stay sociable, watch something funny, listen to lil wayne (yeah horrible but at least you will laugh). It's weird because I find I can easily get out of the mood with a good laugh.

I wonder if its because I also don't eat. Like I don't know why but I can just slack on eating. Like I ate twice this morning before i took my meds (2 bowls of cereal) and haven't eaten since. It's like, "I should probably eat but I'll get to it later". Now its 7 and i don't really want to eat anything but i will probably order a pizza or something that i always love to eat regardless of appetite.

Reading the above post I will try to eat more tomorrow and see if it improves my mood. Maybe my blood sugar is just low.

KillZone
07-20-09, 09:23 PM
Weird, I never get these crashes. Everybody's brain chemistry is a little different, but I have heard that Methylaphenedate (Concerta) always guarantees a bad crash because it is so abrupt. The only time I ever get a crash is the next day if I don't get enough sleep. Sleeping resets the brains chemistry. I would suggest for you to start taking L-Tyrosine, becuase it's a precauser to dopamine which means it will restore lost dopamine.

alysnchaynes
01-06-10, 02:19 AM
Vyvanse: My Story...

Truth be told, I was introduced to Vyvanse about a year ago by a friend of mine as a "pick me up" drug. Neither of us have ADD or ADHD and the only reason he got the stuff was to get high. What's also sad is that he actually obtained a 70mg prescription for the drug even though he truly was not a candidate for the medication. With that said.... I have also made the mistake of acquiring my own prescription and have mixed feelings about the medication and would like to share my experience.

__________________________________________________ _

It's 11pm. I took 2 30mg pills around 9am. Around 2pm, I took another 30mg. Boy... do I regret that now! It's now past midnight, I am wired, and it doesn't look like I'll be sleeping anytime soon. Whoops....

The effect that Vyvanse gives me feels similar to that of Cocaine. Of course I've never done cocaine (but I've had friends tell me about it... hehe).

My palms are sweaty and my back is starting to ache from not getting proper sleep for the last 2 nights. My feet are freezing cold and are like ice and I can't seem to get them warm.

Wow. Do I really have to be at work at 8am? My mouth feels dry, but wet and I can't stop clenching my teeth. I haven't quite experienced a bad comedown this time yet, but I feel that one may be right around the corner.

I sometimes get depressed when I am coming down from Vyvanse. With no apparent reason for my depression, I start to explode the negative aspects of my life into unbelievable proportions. Suddenly, I feel helpless. Why did I take this drug. If only I had some Ambien...

On the up side: the high of Vyvanse makes me more outgoing and "happy go lucky". If the rush takes me over too much, I drink a Sprite or eat something with high carb or protein content to help even me out. Even with the highs, I have noticed that the drug can leave you "spacey" at times. You will find yourself concentrating so much on 1 thing that you "zone out" and instead of being more alert... you're further off in "La La Land".

I sometimes get anxiety (pressure) in the middle of my chest and back with rapid heartbeat and slight trouble breathing. These are bad tradeoffs if you ask me.

I hope that my insights are appreciated by some of you. For I am just trying to be honest about the drug.

If anyone else out there is taking this drug as I have, I would highly suggest good ol' fashioned exercise for improving your mental focus as a healthy alternative.

beavis
03-04-13, 05:02 AM
i dont know if anyone still checks this thread but it was the first site the registered when I typed vyvanse and... and figured it was appropriate. I have been taking 70 mg vyvanse for about a year now and it has been a life saver about 95% of the time. I have never really had problems with it. sure if you take it after 12 pm your gonna be up very late. no ****? its a hardcore extended release stimulant, dont take it in the afternoon unless you intend on being up late (no brainer?). But I have done my research. I have taken written and verbal tests given by doctors to confirm that I have ADHD and I have anxiety that contributes to my problem (who knows the validity, frankly who cares). I have experienced the "come down" feelings for about a year now and I would rank them in 3 categories: didnt notice, depressed/exhausted, and wtf. if i take it for 4-5 days id say 4/5 days i have no issue. every now and then i have the depressed/exhausted mood where i cant talk to my roommate even about things i feel passionately about. The WTF category some times I feel bi polar or just extremely sad for no reason.

Then recently, this has never happened in my entire life until last week: I thought about suicide. For no reason at all. Im 23 and i graduated college with a business degree and I am now in graduate school on a practically a full ride scholarship. Sure I have had my problems, i lost both my parents when i was 12 but I have literally no qualms with the world. I have everything going for me right now and I am truly blessed to be alive. but i was completely sober, coming down from vyvanse and had thoughts that have NEVER entered my brain. I am the role model for 2 young sisters and I would never leave them in this world in the cowards way out like that. But why did i have these thoughts. have I been taking so much vyvanse that it has chemically altered my thought process? I still stand by vyvanse and would reccommend it to people if they are prescribed it by their doctor and understand the side effects going into it. I embrace it, it has changed my world professionally and educationally and has given me confidence. But **** time to evaluate how much should be taken in a week i guess. anyone else experience anything like this hit me up id be interested to hear about it.

Newyorkboy
03-05-13, 11:26 PM
I have all the same symptoms described in this thread. My Dr. just have me 10mg of adderol to take after the vyvanse wears out....hopefully it helps.

AnnaBanana85
05-01-13, 03:02 PM

I am new to the forum so I hope I'm doing this right. I am also new to the ADD world as I have just been diagnosed and put on Vyvanse (I believe 40 mg). You took the words right out of my mouth. I am currently at the heart of a crash and I cannot focus on anything, just staring and thinking how much life sucks. I have no interest in anything during these crashes. Friends will call, and I get irritated that they want to talk to me and I have no desire to chat. I'm at the point of depression that nothing is interesting to me, except having a cocktail to make the pain go away. I have a great life and should have no reason to be depressed. The feeling is overwhelming. I don't want to go through the cycle of changing meds because it seems like they all have a crashing effect that brings on depression. Does this side effect subside after awhile? I am only on my 3rd week of taking vyvanse.

Kelrym
05-20-13, 11:34 AM
Anna, I think you're lucky you found out it can cause this so early on. I wouldn't really know when it started for me, but I'm on year two of vyvanse 50mg, and it has progressively gotten worse. Attempts to cope with it don't seem to help much, but I've been utilizing some pretty destructive coping mechanisms (alcohol) and I see you're saying you want to have a cocktail to make it go away. I'm not much into alcohol abstinence or AA sorts of dealing - I don't think abstinence is the answer, balance is. But when you sense that your balance is being or already has been thrown off, you should consider the full spectrum of causes to the depression. To be honest I didn't think vyvanse was as much a culprit until I read all the other posts in this thread. I'm beginning to wonder.

I think ADHD has a tendency toward depression because of the dopamine resistance in our brains (I am pretty sure I read that somewhere but don't quote me without a reference). We have drugs that help even it out but there's always a balancing factor in the body to neutralize and normalize any swing that's too high or too low. With vyvanse, it seems that the swing is severe enough but also subtle enough to be dangerous and fly under the radar. One guy posted that IR Drugs caused him to crash hard and that it was obvious to him that the crashes were resulting from the drug, but vyvanse was more cunning and he was convinced over and over each night that he was depressed. Since this has also been my experience, I'm starting to really wonder about vyvanse...

Yerrowdude
06-05-13, 08:24 PM
My first medication is also Vyvanse. I began on 30mg and now 50mg in month two. My first reaction (30mg) was great as I felt the "pick me up" and my concentration seemed to be heightened. This soon passed as I got very little after week one. When I began month two (50mg) I noticed the energy level and not so much a higher concentration level but almost a Euphoric "high". I'm not exactly sure how to explain it as I haven't experienced it before.

I should probably mention that I tend to shy away from social situations and have always been shy, very "edgy" and irritated very easily, etc. I'm not sure if it's been the lack of confidence in myself that built up over time, depression due to the ADD or what. I'm not sure if I am depressed or if these are just the feelings that build up over time when ADD hasn't been addressed early on in life...?

Back to the 50mg dose. It takes 1.5 hour for the 50mg to hit me at which point I feel great and happy. I'm in a mood to call people and talk/chat, motivated to get going on projects and expand my current projects. This great feeling lasts for about 2 hours max and then the "crash". I start to think the worthless me thoughts, the thoughts about how my current work situation is hopeless (self-employed) and nobody would ever hire me for a job again, etc. These are thoughts I have had before but this phase hits me after that initial Happy Me stage and it's downhill from there...

I am stuck with a nurse practitioner that reads from her little list every time I come in so I am going to try and get in with another recommended psychiatrist even if it takes 4-6 weeks. My last visit she told me we should try 70mg since I get some benefit from the 50mg.

I'll update here as it seems like a few of us have some similar effects even though it also looks like the other meds have produced some similar results for other as well.

We'll see...

Thanks to all for the input here!

I have too admit i feel exactly the same. After a initial high of feeling great, I start to feel worthless, and how I have no friends. I have also tried Aderall, Concerta and intuniv. Concerta and intuniv did not work, and Aderall crashed horribly.

bugasman
06-11-13, 03:56 PM
Split the dosage and take the last dose 3-4 hours after the first. To sleep take a antihistamine or do exercises, weightlifting, etc...

AnnaBanana85
06-20-13, 05:34 PM
Thanks for your reply. I actually got off vyvanse and ended up on adderall for a month but it didn't work. I couldn't focus on adderall so I got back on vyvanse. I am again at the peak of my crash and it sucks. At this point, I'm done with ADHD meds, they just aren't worth it.

beckah
06-22-13, 02:13 AM
I can relate to all of this (except alysnchaynes) I was on Vyvanse 20mg at first and didn't feel anything, then went to 40mg and it was awesome. Felt clear, awake, alive. For a month or so. Then randomly, in the middle of the day, I would get sudden 3 second extreme depressions throughout the day. Not just depressed, it was like I had suddenly remembered my partner or parents had died just yesterday and I would start sinking. Then as soon as it came it would go. Suddenly my head was above water again. But I could not help but think there was something really awful I was forgetting, and as soon as I remembered what it was, I would sink into oblivion.

I would get these 3 sec. episodes probably 4-10 times a day. The past couple of weeks I've started getting them for longer and longer periods. Today it was probably 2 hours 11am-1pm.

I'm also on 60mg of Prozac for depression which I take just before bed. But this feels awful. Like I might actually do something about it. Or I may get stuck in it.

I really am considering just quitting all ADD drugs since every one seems to have terrible side effects as well.

Jamestoo
06-22-13, 03:47 AM
I was on adderall xr for three months when my doc suggested Vyvanse. The first week I was on it was great--I can focus, concentrate, track conversations easily. On the second week, I was having anxiety rebound. When I told my doctor this, he immediately it me back on Adderall--now I'm back to my normal medicated self.

Anna and Beckah, maybe you should try the other ADHd meds before giving up such as Concerta, Ridalin, Focalin. Or the nonstims like Intuniv and Straterra?

beckah
06-22-13, 01:23 PM
I've tried Ritalin IR & SR which didn't help at all. Kind of nervous with what I have heard about Concerta and Adderall. Getting very discouraged :(

VanillaBean01
07-08-13, 12:42 AM
Same exact thing over here!!