View Full Version : How Do You Like To Exercise?

4gotAgain
05-23-08, 11:09 PM
How do you like to exercise?

team sport?
fast/slow walk?
the gym?
short/long run?
walk to the telly to turn it on? ;)
exercise machines?
hiking?
.......?

What's your preference..?

meadd823
05-24-08, 12:18 AM
I like to walk - I live in a small town so I can do so without worrying about being mugged. I like bike riding but the streets around here and pretty narrow, having less than full time law enforcement people drive as fast as they please. This combined with the mind set of living in BFE it is safer to walk along the side of the road as opposed to riding a bike in it.

I also lift stuff most of the day while I work - when I worked an office job I did martial arts - I was part of a demonstration team and that was way cool.

I exercise while reading post - I hold my butt off the chair using my hands and upper body on the arms of my chair but this can tear up the chair pretty fast. . . .

They have groups of ladies that walk the track at the school less than a block from my house I can see them from my front yard some times I go down there but being hyperactive means I run circle around them literally - so I do not do this often because I think it is discouraging for them - they have been walking longer than I have - but I adapted much faster physically than they did {oops} - I not only began after they did by like a year I am also older than most of them - the power of hyperactive ADD {shrug}

I have to be physically active or I become depressed and lethargic even on my Adderall.

20trackedmind
05-24-08, 12:33 AM
Walking my childen in the park and about four hours a week of riding horses. Mostly posting trots which really work the thighs and abs!

4gotAgain
05-24-08, 12:41 AM
I used to exercise alot when I was at school. I played basketball, middle distance - long distance running, soccer for teams, Netball for school, touch rugby and cricket (occassionally) just for fun. I used to go for alot of walks also.

Since leaving school, have gotten quite lazy. I do often walk to or from work which is a good 45 minute walk but just like Meadd not being active makes me lethargic... I've started back with running, as of last night. Just need a goal to work towards..

Mary
05-24-08, 01:12 AM
It depends on my day. Today I walked out behind the house at least 4 different times. I walked from the front door to the railroad tracks..about 45 feet one way. Then back again. 3 different times.

Walked through the dollar store 2 times...

At the farm I walked to the south side of the yard....and to the pig pen (LOL) Then over to pet the steers...

But, I hurt like crazy tonight. Although I did notice... tonight I'm not suffering from migraine.

Ian
05-24-08, 01:21 AM
I like to run. :)

franny
05-24-08, 01:28 AM
I walk A LOT. Pretty much how I get around most of the time. I do surf occasionally but I'm really not that good so probably not the best exercise. Although, I am sore as hell the day after when it's been awhile. I love to swim in the ocean which I'm lucky to say is very accessible here on the big island of Hawaii. Nothing phases me when I am out enjoying the ocean. It's the perfect antidepressant!

~boots~
05-24-08, 01:37 AM
I used to love walking :) I did it for so long though I wanted to run the same route...which I did....then my hips gave me too much grief :(
Then I got lazy....and started gaining weight...then I fell down a kerb and hurt my ankle really really really badly. Level 3+ strain, 3 torn ligaments...my foot even went flat!
So...needless to say, that cut out most things for about 8 months..

Now it's about 90% better (10 months later) I am fatter still and looking at my treadmill while I am typing this :)

I loved walking at night...it was my alone time and it gave my chance to clear my head..

I need to get enthused and re-vive my exercise thread in the science section that went a tad off track :)

qhcowgirl
05-24-08, 02:24 AM
dancing and work (generally ranch work and riding)

Imnapl
05-24-08, 02:29 AM
I love to walk, but I found walking with a purpose such as getting to and from work easier to maintain.

Prusilusken
05-24-08, 10:00 AM
Hmmm...I hardly get any exercise!
I actually wish I had just a grain of hyper ot impulsiveness...but I don't...

I love to walk and hike, but I have immense difficulties getting out there, which I don't understand, because I DO like it - shouldn't I only have problems initiating activities I don't care for?

And love working with horses/horsebackriding, but I don't have the opportunity to do so at the moment and haven't had it for almost ten years. Oooooh...don't want to think about this. It makes me miserable!

And I dance, but since I take classes in it, and don't dance while on my own, it's not very good exercise because so much of the time goes by with explaining and going through things (and I don't get better doing a choreography by getting it explained again and again and again...I get worse)
Dancing is quite good exercise...if you dance... ;)

I suck at and therefore hate all teamsports.
I can't focus and people get mad at me because I mess up the game and during my public school years I had two concusions because I was hit in the head with some sort of ball.
You'd think that made me focus, right?
But nooooo...
Anyways - I realized many years ago - no teamsports for me.
Just makes me miserable and I want to be happy. ;)

About the walking - I've decided to try out geocaching.
I mean - I've just bought a handheld GPS to help me not get lost all the time, and I love it so much! I might as well find another - and healthy - excuse for using it even more - right? ;)

jackers
05-24-08, 02:08 PM
Now it's about 90% better (10 months later) I am fatter still and looking at my treadmill while I am typing this :)

I have a treadmill too. Mine is being used as a drying rack for laundry these days.

Every fall I get really super motivated to exercise. It's kind of weird because it is EVERY fall, consistently. And then somewhere around December I lose interest and just stop. This past fall was no exception and now I'm bummin' because by November, I had lost a ton of weight, I was walking on my treadmill every morning for 30 minutes and feeling really good. Then as usual I just stopped and now I am fat again and not feeling so great. But I just can't get motivated to get back on the treadmill. Not sure why this keeps happening year after year, or what it is about fall that gets me going every time.

SuzzanneX
05-24-08, 02:24 PM
I like areobics..
...I make my own tapes, all music that makes me wanna move.
and I took so many areobics classes in the 80's I know how.\

if you don't know how, get an areobics tape and turn down the sound when you
know what to do and make your own tapes.

...you start with a warm up song to stretch to...and then about 4 or 5 fast songs.
...then another slow song to cool down to.

some times step aroebics is good.
....now that Im 43...I do low impact (keep one foot on the floor) or swim.
when I was in my 20's I did High impact.

goughy
07-13-08, 04:43 AM
I just started exercising again 2 months ago. I run 3 odd times a week, and do 2 or 3 exercise bike rides with a resistance band workout afterwards. It has become a total trip to do it and I can't see myself ever stopping. I get such a high from it. My wife doesn't understand how I can feel so good when I hurt so much ;)

I'm entering some 10k runs in my area in the future and have committed to doing some triathlons with my wifes boss (can't get out of them now) next year so today I got the old old bike out to start with before I buy another. And I better get swimming too. Am I still on topic?? I haven't been in here for a while ;) :)

Ian
07-14-08, 11:30 AM
I just started exercising again 2 months ago. I run 3 odd times a week, and do 2 or 3 exercise bike rides with a resistance band workout afterwards. It has become a total trip to do it and I can't see myself ever stopping. I get such a high from it. My wife doesn't understand how I can feel so good when I hurt so much ;)

I'm entering some 10k runs in my area in the future and have committed to doing some triathlons with my wifes boss (can't get out of them now) next year so today I got the old old bike out to start with before I buy another. And I better get swimming too. Am I still on topic?? I haven't been in here for a while ;) :)

If you're still enjoying doing it, you're right on topic.
Cheers! Ian

lis dexia
07-14-08, 11:49 AM
dance, dance, dance - on my own

Pilates classes 2x week - small group classes at a studio that only does pilates (quiet, no music, no mirrors and very focused - the instructors say this "helps you listen to the music of your body"). You pre-pay in advance, if you don't show up you lose your money. My motivation to show up and I have stuck with it for over 6 years.

A gym setting would distract me, gives me the option to keep putting the class off because I would just go to the next one. Monthly a gym would be cheaper, but not if I didn't go.

blueyeyore
07-15-08, 11:24 AM
I went to the gym with my friend last night and I enjoyed it...*shrugs* I honestly used to hate even thinking about going but this place made ya feel so comfy and everyone seemed so friendly (or I was just that friendly)....I'm definitely going to go back there.

mykill
07-15-08, 12:31 PM
I like to walk for miles and miles, preferably in a city- nature bores the bejeebus out of me. I lived in downtown Oakland a few years ago and walked around Lake Merritt every day, one lap is about 3 miles. I walked it at least twice on weekend days. I don't have the time or the environment now, so i'm in the process of replacing my couches with exercise equipment. I can't get up any earlier (i was up at 4:15 today), I already walk a minimum of one mile at lunch (2-3 miles if schedule permits), and i tend to work until 7:30 most nights. Literally, the only time i have for exercise is during my nightly dvd (one episode of Buffy or Battlestar Galactica, lately) before bed. The plan is to outrun vampires and cylons on my elliptical.

I have been a member of two kinds of gyms, the 24 Hour type, with the attitudes and the awful music and mirrors and neon (made my mind melt) - and a tennis club, subdued colors, non-obtrusive music, minimal attitude (was too bored to feel energized). I guess i am just not gym material.

Oh, and i finally canceled the gym membership after making about 5 years of payments that i did not use the gym even once during. Only because my wife made me, otherwise i'd probably still be making it today.

MusikGeliebter
08-04-08, 02:25 AM
walk/jog, weight training with dumbbells, tae bo video, pilates, 30 day shred video, jump-rope, stairs, tennis

I'm really kind of new to this though, I'm not really fit yet, but I'm looking forward to trying every different type of exercise out there. I think I like always doing something different, either every day or every few days, it keeps it fun.