View Full Version : What kind of love do teachers have for their students?

bandie08
05-26-08, 01:11 PM
<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
I do know good teachers have compassion and feel like they need to protect their ADHD students but i know they love all of their students. Is it like a parental kind of love?

SECURITY LOVE:This love is the love that everybody needs to survive. It is that feeling of being cared for and nurtured. Some people would describe this as the type of love parents have for their children.

FRIENDSHIP LOVE: This is a love between yourself and someone that is totally honest, open and comfortable. You really only have this kind of bond with a few people. You might know a lot of people and be "friendly" with them in a group situation but they are not the best friends I am talking about here.

FAMILIAL LOVE: is a type affinity or natural affection felt between members of a group bound by common ancestry or blood ties, or through friendship and care. Familial love can also be experienced through kindhearted teachers to their students too.

Im so confused.

DeloresMelon
05-26-08, 03:07 PM
Smart teachers don't "love" their students at all. If it's anything it's of a parental/caregiver variety.

At least those that don't want to get arrested, fired and labeled for life that is.

bandie08
05-28-08, 11:04 AM
I say that because My band director doesn't have any kids yet but anyway he loves us like we are his own kids. He always takes care of us and he buys us donuts after concerts. I think band directors have a relationship with the students that no other teacher has. Its a very special thing because Band really is a family.

lostranslation
05-28-08, 01:33 PM
I think that there is an appropriate and healthy kind of love a teacher can have for his or her students. It is the kind of love that wants only the best for them; that wants them to learn and grow and succeed. Nothing wrong with that kind of love.

lunaslobo
06-09-08, 12:16 PM
<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
I do know good teachers have compassion and feel like they need to protect their ADHD students but i know they love all of their students. Is it like a parental kind of love?

SECURITY LOVE:This love is the love that everybody needs to survive. It is that feeling of being cared for and nurtured. Some people would describe this as the type of love parents have for their children.

FRIENDSHIP LOVE: This is a love between yourself and someone that is totally honest, open and comfortable. You really only have this kind of bond with a few people. You might know a lot of people and be "friendly" with them in a group situation but they are not the best friends I am talking about here.

FAMILIAL LOVE: is a type affinity or natural affection felt between members of a group bound by common ancestry or blood ties, or through friendship and care. Familial love can also be experienced through kindhearted teachers to their students too.

Im so confused.
what is it that has you so confused? you stated in another post that he buys dounuts for the band, wich is ok. but does he buy other things or some students and not others? Is he having those students stay late or alone with him? and last but not least does he ever ask or do things he does not want other teachers to find out about? If the answer to any of these questions is yes then red flags would and should go up. there is a fine line between being profesional and well being to friendly. Now days it is hard to see that line and easy to cross. so yes this can be very confusing for a young person. remember you have the right to not be uncomfortable in any situation and if you are you need to let him know, and know that you need to be respected for your feelings.

aloha1983
08-01-08, 01:46 AM
Bandie I am a teacher myself, and the way I "love" all of my student is that I think they can all achieve amazing things. Real life has no criteria the way schools do... so I think they should become their own people and follow their hearts to do jobs that they are passionate about. Sounds cheesy but it's true for me.

There are appropriate ways to act around students, but becoming too familiar or crossing boundaries which are normally left to friends or parents or even romance is NOT APPROPRIATE!

Yes, your teacher may look out for you, and you should be able to trust him to provide you with the best care, within reason. There is a Duty of Care when they are in charge of your welfare and they should abide by this.