View Full Version : binge Eating before period

bandie08
05-26-08, 07:51 PM
ok I take vyvanse and it works for my apatite and weight loss except when I am PMSing Before I start my period. Even when I take my medicine and its in my system. I eat until there is no tomorrow. I try to always eat healthily and I manage fine until 2 weeks before my period. I absolutely BINGE? Is this normal?

Mary
05-26-08, 07:57 PM
Talk to your doctor....if you have one.. your OB-GYN. If not... your regular GP should be able to answer your questions...

It's possible it could be a lack of something your system needs... or it could be a number of other issues. JMO

QueensU_girl
05-26-08, 08:13 PM
I think it depends on how clinically the term BINGE is being used.

Cravings or an extra serving or two of dessert? Or eating until you are sick. (As in, 'bingeing and purging'...)

There is a hormone switchover that happens at PMS time (estrogen drops; progesterone rises; estrogen is the feel good hormone; progesterone is the ache and bloat and cranky hormone).

Overeating can be a way that people with self regulation issues (progesterone makes us feel pretty crummY), can try to self soothe with food. Certain foods (carbs, esp) can make us feel better, as they release stuff like serotonin... another feel good chemical.)

Princessc
05-26-08, 08:15 PM
I am not on any of the meds that where mentioned but I do find that I tend to eat until I am almost sick just before my period.

~boots~
05-26-08, 09:26 PM
I crave choccy really bad at that time :)
I don't even like it that much, and only eat it about once a month if that

SuzzanneX
05-27-08, 12:14 AM
there's not a woman alive that has a safe alternative.
...it is, what it is.

I'm saving for the famine.

taterbug
02-28-09, 03:53 AM
I have the same problem and during my pregnancy when progesterone goes nuts for 9 months, I managed to go from 135lbs to almost 200. Now 8 months later I am 144 and trying to get to 125 and when I get near my period I simply cannot stop eating. It is like I lose my mind and need chocolate.

cthulhufhtagn
02-28-09, 06:25 PM
It's possible that you're over-restricting when your appetite *is* suppressed, so when your hormones change and your meds are perhaps slightly less effective, your body's drive to compensate for the calorie deficit leads you to binge-eating...

Then again, you could just have hormones that are a little out of whack. Two whole weeks before your period you binge? Do you have regular periods every ~4 weeks? Because if you do, a half-half binge/restrict diet is ridiculously unhealthy. Not that either is healthy, but the combination tends to be pretty bad, since each exacerbates the other.

Sq2Peg
04-20-09, 04:55 PM
Your body burns up an extra 200-300 calories when you're PMSing, so increased hunger isn't surprizing. Myself, when I was dieting, realized that it was futile to try to fight nature, so I ate the chocolate. And what ever else I was craving, and went right back to the diet a few days later. And you know what? I still lost weight. The bonus was I wasn't homicidal during PMS either, the way I was when I tried to diet while premenstral.

Sq2Peg
04-20-09, 04:59 PM
Actually, the "2 weeks before" binge also makes sense. Some women feel the effects of ovulation more strongly than others. Fourteen days before the onset of her period would mark ovulation, at which time levels of FSH and LSH drop and estrogen and progesterone increase. Estrogen is well known to increase appetite.

x Alanna x
04-26-09, 10:37 AM
Im really bad before my period, nothing seems to fill me up, i always want loads of food and lots of chocolate, cakes n biscuits.

After my period i am back to normal

its just a pain in the bum just before it when you cant stop eating lol

Carissa
04-27-09, 10:10 PM
Maybe you are just hungry:) I get hungry before my period too:)

Ruby85
05-01-09, 11:05 PM
Maybe you are just hungry

LOL yes, that's what they've been saying. Physical appetite does increase just before and during your period. It's not just cravings, it's real hunger. No matter what men say, it's not all in your head. Try explaining that to your growling stomach. You burn more calories during this time, so your calorie needs are actually higher than usual.

rockingurl27
10-23-09, 02:33 PM
Hi.
Well, in my case, two weeks before my period, i'm eating like an absolute cow. No matter how much I fill up my stomach, I never seem to feel full. I'm always craving food, always wanting more. Then, two weeks starting from the 2nd or 3rd day of my period, I feel so full. So full that I can skip meals without feeling hungry afterward. I don't look forward to my meals as I don't feel like eating at all.
Is this normal?

iforgot813
12-06-09, 12:28 AM
Bandie08

I do the same thing and I'm on Vyvanse too :o)
once a month for a week or 2 before my period, i need to eat every crumb of food in front of me. mostly carbs...but i cannot stop eating. I'll feel sick and I'll still eat and eat and eat.

The rest of the time I'm fine and I eat well...I don't have any eating disorders, or any weight problems, but I do eat like a crazy person...sometimes drinking a LOT of water helps. stimulants make us dehydrated...

and iron too :o) I'm always anemic everytime i go to a doctor. do you know if you have an iron deficiency? sometimes vitamin/mineral deficiency causes excessive cravings/hunger!

hope that helps!

fracturedstory
03-23-10, 07:39 AM
Almost every woman gets food cravings and eats too much when they have PMS.
When I dieted I would just have water when I felt hungry. Water is 0 calories and is an appetite suppressant.

Lately what has worked for me is this:
no matter how much I eat I won't feel full, so I have one big meal and don't eat after that. I'm so full of food I can barely move. Don't stock up on little snacks, especially refined carbs and sugar. That will just make you more hungry.

Sit-n-Spin
04-21-10, 12:14 PM
Yes, carbs, carbs, carbs! Chocolate and chips! It wasn't so bad before my pregnancy and weight gain, but now I'm pre-diabetic. I developed gestational diabetes during my pregnancy due to the underlying condition of poly-cystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). That's very common. Unfortunately, I gained a lot of weight and continued with the insulin resistance/glucose intolerance. So, if I lose the weight I will probably no longer be even insulin resistant. However, having it makes me hungrier than I've ever been. And then the medication that I was taking to treat the condition caused me to ovulate too much! So, then I was just PMS all the time, which made me crave the carbs and the chocolate and prevented me from losing weight so I didn't need that medication at all. Vicious cycle. I'm working with an endorcrinologist on this problem along with my OB/GYN. You might consider one to see if you have an underlying condition. And, for what it's worth, my endocrinologist diagnosed with me PCOS when I was not overweight at all. It's a syndrome, not something for which you can test completely. So, my then OB/GYN thought I could not possibly have it because I was so thin and most women with it are overweight. Cut to my pregnancy, my gestational diabetes and major weight gain, and it's obvious to everyone that's what I have. Yet, it should have been back the with my other OB/GYN. I say try an endocrinologist.