View Full Version : 5-year-old voted out of class

Andrew
05-27-08, 07:56 PM
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/05/27/dnt.fl.voted.out.class.wptv

A mom says a teacher encouraged classmates to vote her 5-year-old son, who has special needs, out of class. WPTV reports.

Mary
05-27-08, 08:04 PM
how sad and so very wrong. Thanks for sharing, Andrew.

20trackedmind
05-27-08, 08:08 PM
Oh that little boy looked like my son. It made my stomach hurt.

lunaslobo
05-27-08, 09:44 PM
I watched this on the news and if it is all true, then i so feel for this little boy. what kind of teacher would let others bully like that. the only thing i can see that it does is validate her own feelings of anger and frustration twoards this child. she is a bully the same as the bullies in her class and it will only teach them to be worse. I really wanted to give that kid a hug.

Imnapl
05-27-08, 10:58 PM
Unbelievable. Here is a text version of the story.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2008/may/24/30gtteacher-lets-students-vote-out-classmate-5/

dyingInside
05-27-08, 11:01 PM
GRRRR!!!!! That's just completely insane. This is the kind of teacher that gives the rest a bad name. It would have to happen in my state!

Minicooper
05-28-08, 12:28 AM
I knew before I even looked the state would be Florida. I don't know what's in the water down there, but lately more troubling headlines end up coming out of that state than any other, it seems. My birth state (Indiana) is right behind it! :p

That teacher is inept and cruel.

Barton said after the vote, Portillo asked Alex how he felt. "He said, 'I feel sad,' " Barton said.

Poor little thing! Broke my heart reading that. :(

reesah
05-28-08, 03:59 AM
now try teaching that kid that life isn't some crummy reality show...that made me really angry to watch that

theta
05-29-08, 09:45 PM
14/2 vote. Thats consistant with unethical behavior experiments in the past. Only 1/3 people are leaders and in a group the number gets smaller. Takes hat off to the two heros and shakes their hands.

I have only one memory of kindergarten. The teacher left the room and the entire class but me had a riot(I remained silent daydreaming /watching cartoons(nice shy inattentive). When the teacher returned every single kid was whipped with a yard stick.

20trackedmind
05-29-08, 10:48 PM
What is sad is how the mom found out. The boy was repeating, like some autistic kids do, word for word what the other kids said about him. How could someone do that? Teacher or not?

QueensU_girl
05-30-08, 12:14 AM
I think I smell a lawsuit... ;)

scarygreengiant
05-30-08, 12:24 AM
This brings back memories of middle school. I was voted out of the lunch table and had to sit by myself at lunch.

Mantis
05-31-08, 08:38 AM
This brings back memories of middle school. I was voted out of the lunch table and had to sit by myself at lunch.

Haha, that sort of thing used to happen to me all the time in primary school!

Mantis
05-31-08, 09:51 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention being voted as someone for everyone else to beat the crap out of.
I'll feel more sorry for this kid when everyone else in his class beats him up, hits him really hard on the spine and then leaves him in the dirt with no feeling in his legs for a few minutes.

Mantis
05-31-08, 03:12 PM
Whoops...sorry, looks like I was in a bit of a dramatic mood when I wrote that!! It's been a long time since I'd thought about all that stuff, so I guess it just came out.

Yeah, poor kid. I think it's kind of natural for kids to treat 'special' kids that way since they don't understand about hurting peoples feelings and stuff, but for a teacher to endorsing this behaviour...it's outrageous!

jackers
05-31-08, 04:02 PM
Unbelievable. Here is a text version of the story.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2008/may/24/30gtteacher-lets-students-vote-out-classmate-5/

I know this is irrelevant...but how freaking cute is that kid! I'm sure he can be a handful but he looks like and angel, doesn't he?

One, of many, sad things about this is that teacher had a real opportunity to teach those students about diversity and how important and beneficial it is to recognize we all have differences and learn to embrace those differences. Those students could have been helped to view this child's differences with kindness and empathy and to recognize the differences in themselves as a positive thing, a contribution to our collective rather than a detriment, something that would have stayed with them for a lifetime. They are, instead, likely to fear and hate others with unique qualities, and hate themselves when they become aware of their own. What a waste!
Jackers

zoomman
05-31-08, 04:03 PM
I think I smell a lawsuit... ;)

I think I smell a blanket party.

Q: What's the difference between this teacher and a racist?

A: Nothing.

Hope that teacher is sterile. I'd hate to think that creature might breed.

Better no education than an education in bigotry.

Mantis
05-31-08, 05:03 PM
Hope that teacher is sterile. I'd hate to think that creature might breed.

I think we can allow it to breed so long as the offspring is removed and raised by a human.

Jett
06-03-08, 02:23 PM
I think we can allow it to breed so long as the offspring is removed and raised by a human.

I sure hope this creature doesn't have children either! She should also have her teaching license revoked and should not be allowed to have ANy type of job working with children or disabled adults.

Lunacie
06-03-08, 07:22 PM
I have read the news story and an update, and it sounds like it was actually the teacher's idea to do a "Survivor" type thing, having the kids say what they don't like about the poor kiddo and then taking a vote. She should be ashamed of herself, but somehow I doubt she has enough class for that.

The school should also be ashamed that the teachers aren't better trained in how to deal with special needs kids. If they can't handle them in the regular classroom, it's time to suggest an IEP and possibly moving them to classroom where they could get extra help. Humiliating the child is so "last century."

zoomman
06-03-08, 07:46 PM
I have read the news story and an update, and it sounds like it was actually the teacher's idea to do a "Survivor" type thing, having the kids say what they don't like about the poor kiddo and then taking a vote. She should be ashamed of herself, but somehow I doubt she has enough class for that.

The school should also be ashamed that the teachers aren't better trained in how to deal with special needs kids. If they can't handle them in the regular classroom, it's time to suggest an IEP and possibly moving them to classroom where they could get extra help. Humiliating the child is so "last century."

Humiliating the child is very very this century, though not officially. Sadly, teachers are trained to deal with special needs kids, they are trained to do most things right...but choose to ignore the right things to do. When I was student teaching I had one of my "mentors" say, "Don't bother with those guys. They're knuckleheads. Put your time into the kids who are going to learn something."

Read that again, please. That was a person who was supposed to be a "mentor" to new teachers. (incidentally, I requested, and was granted, a relocation in my student teaching. My university hadn't used that h.s. before, and I'm happy to report, won't again.)

SpirallingSnowy
02-28-09, 04:30 AM
That poor boy. I want to go and give him a big hug :(

I know first hand how it feels to be made fun of or humiliated, and so does my brother, and it upsets me that the stuff that went under the radar is still being allowed to go on like that.

I know i havent forgiven school bullies. That kid is going to have so much trouble learning to trust that people arent going to hurt him or let him down....... It upsets me that people still let others treat people like this .

And the teacher condoned it!!!! That teacher would be suspended over here in aus. My mother is an Assistant Principal with her masters degree in special ed (behaviour) and runs a team of itinerant support teachers (behaviour) and before it even got to this point they would of intervened.... arragghhh people like that teacher make me so angry!!!

GetSet
03-03-09, 10:52 AM
That's ridiculous...

Johnnny
03-03-09, 11:24 AM
This is very wrong

I was singled out my whole life cause i was hyper, lol, now iam a one man army :)

I hope this child stays strong at heart , cause if he is properly guided he too could become a one man army

Hoshi
03-03-09, 12:27 PM
I am confused as to how *any* adult could ever think this is acceptable behavior.
I don't care if the child has Autism or not, it's not acceptable under ANY condition. Much less when the child has a disability. Ridiculous.

RedSkittles
03-05-09, 12:07 AM
Quote "The other students said he was "disgusting" and "annoying," Barton said." Unquote. Wow. if the teacher is encoraging this behavior, I feel the only "disgusting" person is the teacher and the "annoying" people are the kids. Okay, yes they are young, but in kindergarten you can tell weather someone is "differant" or not. Your not in preschool; you actually have common scence. <object width="425" height="344">
</param>
</param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SxyDvfXwrmc&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>