View Full Version : I am searching for the right GPS to meet my ADD needs! Advise?

Prusilusken
05-28-08, 01:44 PM
Hi everyone!

I hope I've placed this thread correctly.

All my live I have been useless at finding my way, for several reasons.
It has cost me so much stress and frustration and dependence and low self esteem and people being annoyed at me and angry at me that it's just not worth thinking about. It makes me so sad.

I have only recently been made aware of the fact, that many of those reasons are due to ADD, which was a tremendous relief for me.
I'm not stupid. Who would have known. ;)

BACK TO THE SUBJECT, LISE!!!

Sorry...Now I have decided that I am going to get myself a GPS.
You know the kind for walking and geocaching and such.
I know that it has been a huge help for many other ADHDers, and I am positive that it will be for me.

But I have NO clue what to look for.

Which kinds are any good?
ADHD friendly?
What should I be aware of?

That sort of thing.

I'm very interested in hearing from you guys, especially if you have a handheld GPSsystem. Pros/Cons about the one you bought.
Any advise concerning this subject.

Thank you in advance!

Prusilusken
08-11-08, 03:16 PM
I just realized that this was put in the wrong category. :o

Maybe I can get on of you lovely, slim and goddesslike elegant and/or strong and viril and all muscle manlike moderators to move it to the appropriate category?

Maybe I'll get some answers there. :rolleyes:

Grafter
08-11-08, 03:38 PM
Oh. Sweet talking will you get you everywhere. :D

I'll let one of the Section Mods know of your request.

Prusilusken
08-11-08, 05:14 PM
Grrraaaaw! :D

AnalogDog
08-12-08, 12:38 AM
OK, on to the topic at hand. My neighbor and my brother both use Tom-Tom products. My brother has it for his Palm TX, my neighbor has it mounted in his car. They both are quite nice to get around with and my neighbor tells me that you can get customized voices for it. He uses Yoda.

"Turn left in 400 feet, you will."

curseandablessi
08-12-08, 06:40 AM
I saw a CBS news show the other day, just be careful. (I am not saying this to deter you from buying it or to scare the beegeebies out of you, I think probably 98% of the time they're pretty good).

Apparently some people got lost and almost drove off of a cliff at night. Then one road had a building in the middle of it, with a big fence so everyone had to turn around.

They had one of those "experts" on who said you should check a map b4 you go into unknown areas, and to use common sense. Isn't the GPS pretty much supposed to replace a map?? Common sense?? what's that??

Prusilusken
08-12-08, 04:03 PM
Thanks, guys!

This GPS I'm searching for is a handheld one for walking, since I don't own a car, and sometimes I want to go to the forest or something, so I need one that doesn't only "look" a the roads for cars.

For "walking" GPSes almost everyone here in DK use Garmin, like Garmin Colorado, but I know there are plenty of manufacturers and models out there - and I have no idea which kind to chose or what's important to look for when bying one.

AnalogDog: Hey! But an inbuilt Yoda voice thrown in makes me lean toward TomTom! :D

KatInOuterSpace
08-13-08, 10:26 PM
My husband has a Garmin Nuvi...we both love it and I consider it very ADD friendly. ;)

hollyduck
08-13-08, 10:42 PM
I love my Garmin -- it plugs into the cigarette lighter, but can also be detached from its base and carried around on battery power. But I haven't tried using it while walking about. I guess it ought to work, but I can't testify to that.

But what makes it 100% useful is that it will talk and tell me when to turn and how far. And if you haven't programmed in a destination, it will still show you where you are on its map.

Good luck.

ILADHD
08-16-08, 10:37 PM
Garmin Nuvi here. Whichever model you buy, make sure it says street names and not just turn right.

Love it.

NowIKnowWhy!
09-01-08, 12:10 PM
I have a Nuvi too and I *love* it. It is seriously the best material object I have ever owned in my life. If you miss a turn, the voice (mine is "Jack") just calmly says that he is "recalculating," and gets you back on your way.....no judgement, anger, or irritation, just sweet Jack. :)

Before I had Jack I literally would need directions to get home from work. I cannot tell you how much my life has improved!

Oh, and I do use "him" for walking, although sometimes I get funny looks on the street if I forget to mute him. :o

planetdave
09-01-08, 01:11 PM
They might be complete rubbish (I don't know anyone who has used the function) but the Nokia N95 and iPhone both have gps - and there has to be more.

For occaisional use they're probably fine - and no need to carry another gadget.

mijahe
09-01-08, 07:14 PM
If you miss a turn, the voice (mine is "Jack") just calmly says that he is "recalculating," and gets you back on your way.....no judgement, anger, or irritation, just sweet Jack. :)

This is the major difference between all GPS units. It's not so much the resolution and 'canyoning' ability, but rather the ability to get you 'back on track' when you take a wrong turn. All GPS units these days are reliable and accurate. What they are not, are intelligent enough to get you back on track easily.

The most important things in a GPS unit in order of priority, (IMHO):
1. Destination track redirection.
2. Map updates.
3. Usability.

I think this still applies for ADDers, because if a GPS unit gets you to your destination even though you've taken numerous wrong turns; then even point 3. pails into insignificance.

NowIKnowWhy!
09-01-08, 09:57 PM
They might be complete rubbish (I don't know anyone who has used the function) but the Nokia N95 and iPhone both have gps - and there has to be more.

For occaisional use they're probably fine - and no need to carry another gadget.

I've heard that the iPhone is not very accurate....but it is indeed nice to not have a million gadgets in your bag....