View Full Version : benadryl?

chattygirl
05-29-08, 10:52 PM
I feel like Benadryl makes me antsy. I take it and feel a little sleepy for about 10 minutes, then I am super fidigety.

Also, I have ALWAYS had difficulty sleeping. My mom takes Tylenol PM about once a week. I do not. I have may 3 times in six months or so. Anyway, I took 2 because I was sleeping in a waiting room (my grandmother was in ICU. Mom stayed in there with me. She didn't sleep at all and said that every 10 minutes or so, I would wake up then roll over. Later that day, the nurse told mom that Tylenol PM is basically Tylenol and Benadryl- ha! no wonder!!!

Anyone else?

theta
05-29-08, 10:58 PM
Yeah anti-histamine that can cross the blood brain barrier do not agree with me. If I need and anti-histamine for other uses like and itchy throat I take
loratadine/Claritin. It does not cross the blood brain barrier so it does not effect the mind.

chattygirl
05-29-08, 10:59 PM
good to know, thanks!

hollywood
06-02-08, 02:10 PM
Theta,

I moved to atlanta from phoenix about 3 years ago, I've had allergies ever since not to mention that my fiance has cats. What allergy med does not interfere with add meds? Currently I've been taking allegra, any advice?

theta
06-02-08, 02:15 PM
Theta,

I moved to atlanta from phoenix about 3 years ago, I've had allergies ever since not to mention that my fiance has cats. What allergy med does not interfere with add meds? Currently I've been taking allegra, any advice?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fexofenadine allegra

Fexofenadine, like other second and third-generation antihistamines, does not readily cross the blood-brain barrier, and so causes less drowsiness than first-generation histamine-receptor antagonists

Your likely okay. :)

Grafter
06-02-08, 02:16 PM
Allegra? or Allegra-D?

I stay away from anything containing psuedoephidrine, which the D-version has.

hollywood
06-02-08, 02:22 PM
Just allegra, I have some pretty bad sinusitus issues from all the tree typed and pollens combined here in the metro atlanta area. I don't think I'm allergic to one per say it's just all of them combined that really slows me down. Thanks theta for the heads up

QueensU_girl
06-05-08, 02:31 PM
Some people get hyper from sedatives such as Benadryl, Gravol, benzos.

It is esp bad in the elderly and kids.

Lots of hospitals will NOT give such meds to the elderly b/c they can go squirrely.

Sandy4957
06-05-08, 03:27 PM
Benedryl knocks me on my a*s. Allegra does not, nor Claritin, nor Zyrtec (not the D formulae, just regular). Even just one Benedryl will do it, even. Two and I am SCARY out. Two feels BAD. One is just dead tired, can't stay awake to save my life kinds of stuff.

My shrink prescribed Ambien for sleep, Chattygirl. My problem is staying asleep and it does the job for me. Nice thing about it is that it is supposedly not habit-forming. Makes a huge difference for me if you need a sleep aid.

theta
06-05-08, 05:50 PM
Anti-histamines that cross the blood brain may be problematic for most ADHDers.

Atomoxetine increases histamine release and improves learning deficits in an animal model of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder: the spontaneously hypertensive rat. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18346050?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_RVDocSum)

Methylphenidate and atomoxetine increase histamine release in rat prefrontal cortex. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17198700?ordinalpos=3&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_RVDocSum)

Drugs under investigation for attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12211416?ordinalpos=7&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_RVDocSum)

There are also a number of new compounds under development for the disorder, including several non-stimulant agents. These compounds target the noradrenergic, histaminergic and dopaminergic systems.

The histamine H(3) receptor: an attractive target for the treatment of cognitive disorders. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18469850?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_RVDocSum)

The cognitive-enhancing effects of H(3) antagonists across multiple cognitive domains in a wide number of preclinical cognition models also bolster confidence in this therapeutic approach for the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder

The histamine H1-receptor mediates the motivational effects of novelty. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18331338?ordinalpos=5&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_RVDocSum)

Histamine and histamine-1-receptor (H1R) agonists induced arousal and wakefulness in humans and rodents, e.g. by stimulating cortical acetylcholine (ACh) release.

An antihistamine might block that action hence the drowsiness.

Histamine H1-receptor blockade in humans affects psychomotor performance but not memory. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18208925?ordinalpos=8&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_RVDocSum)

Results showed that dexchlorpheniramine impaired performance in tests of spatial learning, reaction time, tracking and divided attention but showed no effects on working memory, visual memory, word learning or memory scanning.

Effects of a sedative antihistamine, D-chlorpheniramine, on regional cerebral perfusion and performance during simulated car driving. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18181241?ordinalpos=9&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_RVDocSum)

These results suggest that D-chlorpheniramine tends to suppress visuo-spatial cognition and visuo-motor coordinating functions rather than attention and motor functions during car driving.

Modafinil: a review of neurochemical actions and effects on cognition. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17712350?ordinalpos=19&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_RVDocSum)

Modafinil exhibits robust effects on catecholamines, serotonin, glutamate, gamma amino-butyric acid, orexin, and histamine systems in the brain.

Comparison of diphenhydramine and modafinil on arousal and autonomic functions in healthy volunteers. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17092978?ordinalpos=44&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_RVDocSum)

First generation antihistamines, such as diphenhydramine, are likely to cause sedation by blocking excitatory H1 histamine receptors in the cerebral cortex

In conclusion, diphenhydramine and modafinil evoked opposite effects on arousal and sympathetic functions, which are likely to reflect their interaction with the central histaminergic and noradrenergic systems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histamine

H3 receptor antagonists (which stimulate histamine release) increase wakefulness.

About to try 2 grams of sustained release niacin(known to cause histamine release) and 10 mg loratadine. Logic being loratadine will block most the body effects of histamine but not the mental.
I take naicin to boost HDL (good cholesterol) but not often. Its hard to notice mental effects because your so busy flushing, hot and itchy.

meadd823
06-05-08, 06:25 PM
I take naicin to boost HDL (good cholesterol) but not often. Its hard to notice mental effects because your so busy flushing, hot and itchy.

Although your post is informative as per usual I think I shall put off ingesting any thing that causes flushing and hot flashes, after all being female I have menopause to look forward to - The itching I would rather by pass all together if at all possible but if I have to itch I do not want to be any more awake for it than absolutely necessary.

theta
06-05-08, 06:38 PM
Although your post is informative as per usual I think I shall put off ingesting any thing that causes flushing and hot flashes, after all being female I have menopause to look forward to - The itching I would rather by pass all together if at all possible but if I have to itch I do not want to be any more awake for it than absolutely necessary.

Took at 5:12 pm felt itch in face at 5:27. At 5:37 I'm on fire. Not quite as red as my Coca Cola sweat pants though. Do feel a little alert needless to say. :)

Mary
06-05-08, 09:21 PM
I have to keep benedryl on hand.. since I have allergies to insects and so do the kids. It's in my medicine kit.

If I didn't have it.. I'd have to have an epi pen. Liquid is best ... but pills will do in a pinch.

I rarely use tylenol pm.. but sometimes do. It helps me sleep through the night when nothing else helps.. it just depends.

Lunacie
06-05-08, 09:23 PM
Benedryl puts me to sleep as well. But I've read that it doesn't last a full 8 hours so many folks wake up halfway through the night and have trouble getting back to sleep then.

I've heard only good things about using the supplement Melatonin. There aren't any side effects that I've heard of, but it doesn't work for everyone. But then, what does?

Imnapl
06-14-08, 10:55 AM
Some people get bad dreams with Melatonin.

Lunacie
06-14-08, 11:59 AM
Some people get bad dreams with Melatonin.

I wonder why that is?

I've had bad dreams when taking Benedryl... I think it dries out my nose and throat and when I'm not breathing well I tend to have bad dreams.

Maurice
06-14-08, 12:24 PM
hollywood, I take Zyrtec for sinuitis (hayfever) and it does not interfere with anything. The only thing I have ever used Benadryl for is itching. Theta and meadd823 I have high cholesral and one time a doctor gave me Niacin. In about 15 minutes my face was red as a beet, I took my shirt off and I looked like a cooked lobster. So I ran over to my neighbors and asked if they thought I should call for an ambulance? They suggested taking a cold shower and I did and it worked. The remaining Niacin capsules went straight down the toilet. And whoever said they take Ambien and it does not last long enough? Ask your doctor to try Ambien CR, it works a lot better for me.

garykelly
06-14-08, 05:01 PM
Yes, that is true, the same chemical compound found in Benadryl (diphenhydramine), is the exact same chemical compound used in Tylenol PM (or it's generic equivalent). Diphenhydramine's primarly usage if for allergies, but it has a side effect of making most people sleepy. Because of its somnolent effects, it is used in Tylenol PM as a sleep aid.

Of course, individual's chemistry differs, so it doesn't always have the same effect. There are probably some psychosomatic effects as well. I had a friend tell me that Tylenol PM made her sleepy, but Benadryl did not. I just laughed.

theta
06-14-08, 07:18 PM
I wonder why that is?

I've had bad dreams when taking Benedryl... I think it dries out my nose and throat and when I'm not breathing well I tend to have bad dreams.

Starting , stopping or adjusting the dose of any medicine that effects the mind
can trigger vivid dreams (good or bad). I've done it a hundred+ times and usually notice the effect. Its a short term side effect.

QueensU_girl
06-25-08, 11:51 PM
I think anticholinergic drugs like Benadryl can also cause memory problems (bad for ADDers who already have memory issues).

IIRC, they may also boost sleep disturbances (e.g. cause limb jerks).