View Full Version : does walking 3 hours a week increase attention and memory?

doc_holiday
05-30-08, 06:26 PM
i heard that the increas in oxygen helps but i didnt know of any people that actualy tried it?

ToneTone
05-30-08, 11:47 PM
doc,

Not sure what kind of shape you're in ... But exercise is a relative thing. If you are completely out of shape, then walking will raise the heart rate and count as good exercise.

I'm in pretty good shape, and walking does not really help me. I have to run for my heart rate to really rise.

But yes, exercise definitely seems to help with adhd. Exercise, researchers are learning, is generally great for the brain.

patboul
05-31-08, 01:24 PM
Any kind of exercise help me. Like Tonetone said, it is relative. Walking 3 hours a week would do nothing for me. I use to exercises between 15 and 20 hours a week when I was in high school, mostly swimming. Today at 35, I do approximately 5 to 10 hours a week of exercises: walking, cycling, swimming, kung fu, playing with the kids, gardening...

If 3 hours do good for you, stay on that course, increase at your own pace. Envoy it, that's the important thing. You will certainly feel the benefit one day.

MusikGeliebter
08-06-08, 08:35 AM
yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes YES!

Dizfriz
08-06-08, 09:33 AM
i heard that the increas in oxygen helps but i didnt know of any people that actualy tried it?

Exercise is specifically beneficial for ADHD. According to Barkley, it raises the dopamine levels which is just what is needed and the effects apparently last for a while.

Dizfriz

Ian
08-06-08, 12:07 PM
Any activity applied three or four times a week for thirty or forty minutes each time is good. The ticket to nail the proper "zone" of intensity for the biggest bang for your buck in the first year or so is to work hard enough that you can't sing, but not too hard that you can't carry on a real conversation.

I think that rule of thumb is just way too cool.

It might not feel like a work out, but it will leave you feeling sharp and euphoric. :) I'm five years into it and my life is a different place.

Establishing the habit is the biggest hurdle and that seems to take forever. Using this forum to mark my progress and struggles as I went were key to getting the habit going. Now it's like brushing my teeth. It would feel really ugly not to do it.

When I began, it was all I could do to maintain walking three times a week for a half hour. Now, at 49 I am in the best shape of my life and loving all the benefits that come with a better outlook on self care. It's spun off into so many other aspects of my life and I'm so grateful to have had the support of the people here which made it possible.

How much or what you do isn't nearly as important in the beginning as making room for it and actually doing something. Intensity is best kept to the aerobic level for a many months as that's where you're likely to see the biggest improvements, but your aerobic levels will rise dramatically in the first few weeks if you can work in the correct zone. This has the bonus of helping to protect you from injury as well by allowing your body to catch up when your mind has already adapted and suggested more or faster is better. :D

I sure hope you can keep us posted.
Ian