View Full Version : Parasomnias: sleep talking, acting out dreams...

gogogo
05-31-08, 10:59 AM
Hi - I've always sleep talked or acted out my dreams (thrashing, hitting, pinching, punching, who knows what else) but lately it's almost every night. I'm on Dexedrine, Wellbutrin and a small amount of Cipralex. I know they can all increase myoclonus (night twitching) and that doesn't bother me that much, but the extent of dreaming and the extent of acting out my dreams is beginning to bother me and my husband. The acting out has always been there regardless of medication but it has been steadily increasing.

Can anyone help? Has anyone had similar experiences while on any or all of these medications? Has anyone found any treatment that helps?

ditzydreamer
05-31-08, 12:24 PM
My husband is on Welbutrin and he had really vivid dreams at the beginning of treatment but it has subsided. He's been on it for about 12 months now and the only times he mentions really intense dreams has been when he's really stressed.
One time he was dreaming about being in a brawl of some kind, and yeah... I got the punch! :p Luckily it wasn't a full blown punch (and just on the shoulder) since he was sleeping, but he felt sooo horrible. My dad was the same way....poor mom :p
He has talked in his sleep more since he's been on it too.

My daughter is a 'thrasher', but is still awaiting referrals for her behavioral issues. She walks, talks, kicks, screams (night terrors) etc all without waking up at all...very creepy sometimes. It helps for her to be woken slightly an hour or 2 after she falls asleep (sometime before the episode usually occurs). Scheduled Awakenings are usually suggested for children, but it might be worth a try. It would probably mean that your husband has to see if your episodes occur at predictable times, and then set an alarm to wake you about 15 minutes before.

Needless to say I am very careful to make some noise before I get into bed... and I think maybe my going to bed later than my husband and making sure he wakes up slightly kind of serves as a scheduled awakening. Even though he still talks in his sleep, he hasn't lashed out or anything like that for quite some time...

Good luck!

gogogo
05-31-08, 03:52 PM
Thanks Ditzydreamer. That's a good idea. I also think I'll keep notes of time and activity, if I'm able, and ask my husband to do it as well. Timing is a very good point. I guess noting bedtime and any particular stresses is a good idea as well. Once again, thanks.

gogogo
09-15-08, 06:01 PM
Thought I'd follow up this thread in case anyone in the future has any interest. After lots of research I learned that SSRI's can start/aggravate both Restless Leg Syndrome and Periodic Limb Movement Disorder (nocturnal myoclonus), as well as REM Sleep Behaviour Disorder.

Apparently, theoretically, Wellbutrin should decrease all of those because it increases the amount of dopamine available. Dexedrine according to my sleep doctor and psychiatrist should not affect sleep those types of ways because of its short half-life.

I had a sleep study done and was told I have periodic limb movement disorder. I understand that PLMD is sometimes associated with REM Sleep disorder. Just for sake of illustration, the other night my hands were twitching while I had my arm draped around my husband. I was dreaming that I was doing up his buttons :)

PLMD does not affect just the legs. It can affect the hands, head, any part of the body and is not limited to sleep. The twitches, jerks, full blown body shudders can also occur while resting. It can be a single movement or a series but it occurs with intervals of seconds between the movements. There may be many repetitions of these series of movements during the night. It is these facts that differentiate it from other possible disorders - it occurs while asleep or resting. It's the degree of the movement that determines when it becomes a disorder, how much it is interfering with deep sleep.

It's genetic. It increases in frequency in the population as we age. There seems to be some correlation between PLMD and AD/HD (ADD) in childhood.

I'm taking a small amount of clonazepam. It helps. The body shudders and twitches have decreased but not completely eliminated. I had forgotten that sleep is meant to restorative. Instead of feeling dozy from the clonazepam I have more energy - but I guess that's a direct result of sleeping better, longer and deeper.

anonone
09-18-08, 02:41 PM
I used to be a kicker. Way back when I was 5-9 (and on Ritalin) my parents would tell me I kicked in my sleep. I probably dreamt of running, I can recall dreams of running as a child, dreams where my legs wouldn't quite move fast enough to get me away (which was a nightmarish feeling). This doesn't happen to me too often when I use off and on adderall.

A couple years ago, however I had a dream where I was playing soccer and I was right in front of the opposing net with the ball, and I got really excited but I couldn't quite get my leg to kick the damn ball (I played defense and have never scored a goal in real life =( ) . In a panic I mustered all of my energy... to just dominate the **** out of my bedroom wall with my foot, chipping off a portion of my toe nail. Odly enough it was my left foot I used as opposed to my most comfortable shooting foot, and the foot I believe I intended to shoot with in the dream. I'm not quite sure if I woke up then kicked, or if I kicked and then woke up from the pain.

Just thought I'd share. I'm a bit currious though, when you were buttoning your husbands shirt, were you in any sort of hurry, or panic or was it a more or less calm buttoning?

gogogo
09-18-08, 03:04 PM
The "buttoning" wasn't hurried or panicked. However, prior to clonazepam, all those "acting out" dreams involved high emotions - fear or anger or panic.

My bet is, :), those dreams and leg kicks are going to increase as you get older!

Jed Thorton
09-27-08, 05:19 PM
weird stuff