View Full Version : Focalin and my 5 yo daughter

ladykmd
06-02-08, 05:46 PM
Does anyone else give focalin to a child by breaking the capsul open and adding it to food or drink?

I spent last weekend in a knock down/drag out with my 5 year old daughter trying to get her to swallow Concerta. She had never swallowed pills before and the horrible tasting grey coating who could blame her. Yes I tasted it myself. After 2 hours on saturday and trying everything from ice cream, pudding, hiding it in french toast sticks, we were both in tears and I called the doctor for a change.

Does that decrease the duration of the medication and how long a duration does it have for your children?

I'm going to go pick up her script tomorrow and start her on it this weekend so I can best moniter her reactions. Any other words of advice are greatly appreciated.

nicky818
06-11-08, 01:55 AM
My son (also 5) takes Focalin XR and I also open the capsule and put it in either applesauce or baby fruit or something mushy. I tried having him swallow a cap and that was a joke for us too. The Focalin lasts him well into evening (I give it to him about 9 in the morning) and his teachers have seen a big improvement in his behavior, focus, etc. while on it (he's been on it 2 months so far). He used to take Adderall and he seemed to have every side effect known to man. I notice he doesn't have the anxiety or rebound he used to have on the Adderall and he just seems happier and more social.

Good luck.

Contrapunctus
10-01-08, 07:42 PM
Yikes! Adderall for a 5 year old?