View Full Version : My journey comes to a close.

Adrupert
06-04-08, 02:12 PM
I'll start off with a brief background on myself. As a young child I was brilliant, and excelled throughout elementary school, gifted program, easily the smartest kid at my school. I was always high energy and routinely fulfilled my role as the class clown. I had been a trouble maker, but I think this wasn't seen as ADHD because I excelled so well in my education. Yet as I entered middle school things changed, the workload was too much for me and I was even failing one of my classes, and I had only turned in one fully completed math assignment the entire first semester. Yet I managed a C- because tests were 70% of the grade and I managed to get a 100% on each test. I was obviously still intelligent, yet the motivation was not there. My family and I chose to see a psychiatrist to evaluate the situation.

Well, I was diagnosed with ADHD at the end of my 7th grade year. I was prescribed 10mg of Adderall XR and it worked wonders. I was back to getting all A's and B's and everything seem fined. However, around the middle of eight grade I noticed the adderall was no longer giving me the same stimulation I felt when I first began treatment, and was bumped up to 20mg. This trend continued untill the 10th grade where I was eventually on 40mg of adderall xr, and at this point I felt the adderall was still not as effective as it once was, and the side effects were too much. I was very anti-social on adderall and felt very zombie like all the time.

This is where my journey for a new medication began. I tried metadate CD with limited efficacy at doses up to 100mg, though it did have minimized side effects compared to adderall. I then tried Strattera for about two months, and it worked OK, but again lacked the efficacy of the more powerful stimulant group. My psych put me back on adderall and this continued for about half a year. I was convinced this was not the best medication possible for me and I asked him what else as available. Vyvanse was the next medication he prescribed me. It seemed to be effective but I felt even more side effects than I had on Adderall and abruptly stopped the treatment after about a week. Again, I went back to adderall, still unsatisfied.

It was at this time I took things into my own hands, I began research on ADHD medications. Somewhere along the lines I came accross Desoxyn, initially I looked over it because I had heard nothing of it. As my research continued I found more and more praise for the drug, and when i finally decided to do look into it I thought I had found the holy grail. "most effective, least side effects!" I brought it up in a meeting with my psych and he seemed familar with it, but thought it had gone out of production many years back (which was partly true, the XR version is no longer available) but he took a look in his psych book, gave my mother a brief a description about it, what it was, side effects, etc. My mother was hesitant, but we mutually agreed to try it.

Well, it is now the end of my junior year in high school and I couldn't be happier. It has a strong stimulant effect like adderall, and completely lacks side effects for me. I am once again the social little butterfly I always had been and I am back on track in my education. Best medication by far for myself, and I am sure more people with similar experiences will find the same thing.

alert
06-06-08, 08:49 AM
Yer dude no surprise it's Methamphetamphetamine-the strongest of all stims,

What dose you on?

Adrupert
06-10-08, 06:38 PM
Yer dude no surprise it's Methamphetamphetamine-the strongest of all stims,

What dose you on?

I actually don't believe it is any stronger than dextro-amphetamine, although that is a different subject matter. I am currently taking five tablets a day, each containing 5mg of desoxyn for a total of 25mg daily. I take two tablets in the morning, one at lunch, and one mid afternoon.

KobraKommander
07-01-08, 04:58 PM
I actually don't believe it is any stronger than dextro-amphetamine, although that is a different subject matter. I am currently taking five tablets a day, each containing 5mg of desoxyn for a total of 25mg daily. I take two tablets in the morning, one at lunch, and one mid afternoon.

You don't believe it is any stronger than D-amphetamines? are you delirious from your high dosages? Desoxyn is methamphetamines, although you take it in small therapeutic dosage, 1 mg Desoxyn (methamphetamines) > 1 mg DextroAmphetamines.

theta
07-03-08, 11:59 PM
You don't believe it is any stronger than D-amphetamines? are you delirious from your high dosages? Desoxyn is methamphetamines, although you take it in small therapeutic dosage, 1 mg Desoxyn (methamphetamines) > 1 mg DextroAmphetamines.

Based on dose methamphetamine is more potent. But even if you adjust for that
and compare two equivalent dose of the two drugs you might find people generally find dextroamphetamine more stimulating. Lars who was instrumental in creating the Desoxyn forum and who has used both has confirmed dextroamphetamine is more stimulating to himself.

There is a study on the neurotoxicity of the two drugs its interesting because
dextroamphetamine caused dopamine deficits in more locations in the brain than meth and methamphetamine caused a serotonin deficit. Methamphetamine is not merely a more potent dextroamphetamine its a more potent drug with some significant differences in its actions.

Adrupert
07-18-08, 05:07 PM

Sure, Methamphetamines are more potent than Dex-Amphetamines per mg, but my dose was adjusted to accomodate this (40mg Dex to 25mg Meth) and to me it feels about as stimulating as Dex, maybe a bit less stimulating actually, albeit more or less the same. It is the reduction in the severity of all of the negative side effects of amphetamines that causes me to prefer Methamphetamines over Dex-Amphetamines. I also feel like Meth improves my mood and makes me more social, totally opposite of my social withdrawal and slightly depressed mindset I experienced on Dex .

Although, I am sure everyones experiences will not be the same as mine, I am just giving my personal take on how Desoxyn helped me.

trying
07-22-08, 11:10 AM

Neither your tone nor a confused appropriation of dose equivalency considerations is useful here.

Dextroamphetamine is considerably more potent in stimulating norepinephrine release, after dose equivalency is checked. The ratio has been reported for d-amph at 5:1 norepinephrine:dopamine and for dextromethamphetamine, 2:1.

Dextroamphetamine is also more peripheral, while dextromethamphetamine is even more central.

Dose equivalency is interesting, but each molecule has its own considerations.

ecu20
12-26-08, 05:14 PM
Neither your tone nor a confused appropriation of dose equivalency considerations is useful here.

Dextroamphetamine is considerably more potent in stimulating norepinephrine release, after dose equivalency is checked. The ratio has been reported for d-amph at 5:1 norepinephrine:dopamine and for dextromethamphetamine, 2:1.

Dextroamphetamine is also more peripheral, while dextromethamphetamine is even more central.

Dose equivalency is interesting, but each molecule has its own considerations.

Sorry to drag up an old post, but you are mistaken. Dextroamphetamine is hardly a PNS stimulant, it works primarily upon the CNS, since most people's CNS has a preference of D-amph over L-amph. However, D-methamph also exhibits strong CNS stimulation, and fairly little PNS stimulation.

Think of it this way, Racemic psycho stimulants (we are talking strong, schedule 2 or 1 type drugs in the United States) are almost all the same to follow suit to this rule: The dextroratory isomer exhibits strong CNS stimulation, and minimal PNS stimulation, while the levoratory isomer exhibits stronger PNS stimulation, and minimal/moderate CNS stimulation (if any). It is true that drugs affect people in different ways, but this is the way it's been reported, and I have failed to see d-amph exhibit even moderate PNS stimulation in myself or others around me that take it.

This rule goes for amphetamine, methamphetamine, methylphenidate, phenmetrazine, pemoline, 4-Methyl-aminorex, and EVEN the body's own NATURAL stimulant phenylethylamine, among many others I failed to mention.

This is why you see the US military along with ADHD patients using dextroamphetamine, and some ADHD patients also use dextromethylphenidate in the currently patented drug Focalin. More CNS stimulation, minimal PNS stimulation. You certainly wouldn't want a pilot getting the strong urge/need to stretch out or "move around" in a cockpit of a plane while on a racemic amphetamine combo.

I am presently unaware of any exceptions as far as typically used stimulants, but am sure there ARE exceptions to that rule.

mijahe
02-10-09, 02:00 AM
Moderator Note:
This looks like an opportune moment, (delayed, but nevertheless opportune), to remind members of the existence of the ADDF guidelines (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75), and to remember to keep the conversation civil.

Thanks.

Now returning you to your regularly scheduled program....

WickedGirl
02-10-09, 03:03 PM
I find this to be an interesting discussion. So far, I find any of the pure Dex stimulants to make me far too mellow. I can focus for sure....almost too much, but only on the things that I want to focus on. Plus, I have zero motivation to do anything on them except lay on the couch.

Now on Adderall, I am not mellow at all. I can be quite *****y. But, the Adderall is the only med that provides the motivation to get up and do the things I need to do, including study. I am sooo confused! I can't stand myself when I take Adderall (and neither can anyone else), but I get the motivation (oh and my sex drive returns). I only took 10mg to 20mg per day. On Dex or Vyvanse, however, I am like a freaking zenned out Buddhist monk. Is there anything that can give me a combination of the best of both? I miss my herb...Ma Huang.

hannielaggie
02-10-09, 03:22 PM
Give Adderall or Vyvanse sometime to work. It took me a few months to a year to adjust the beneficial effects of those drugs. When I take it I no longer feel the effects. I feel normal. I feel the same way you do: motivated, mellow, and determined to focus on everything besides things that I prefer to focus on. Don't give up so soon.

cunanse
07-12-09, 10:34 PM
Remember that 50% of meth is metabolized to D-amphetamine in your system.

Yellow
04-07-10, 11:06 PM
good im now a college professor, so bein able to accept desoxyn now*and hopefullt get the rx* coudnt happen at a better time for me (well for the fall)

RonRitalin
11-05-10, 01:26 PM

That's FOUR pills, Mr. Head-of-the-class.

I've read that desoxyn is prescribed when the patient can't tolerate the big 3 (methyl, adderal, dexedrine), because, in pill form, methamphetimine is the most gentle. I'm glad you found success with it. Does your pharmacy have to pre-order it just for you? That would be a big hassle if they forgot to order it in time, or the shipment was delayed. You NEVER hear of it for medicinal use because as the documentary currently running on cable calls it, it's "THE MOST DANGEROUS DRUG IN THE WORLD".

Don't you just love the stilted, judgemental PR for stimulants...??