View Full Version : Started Seroquel

jason7655
06-04-08, 09:32 PM
The doctor seems to think I might have a little bit of a mood disorder so he's started me on seroquel. I was on 50 for 8 days and tonight I started the 100 dose.

The 50 makes me quite drowsy and dragging in the morning.

Is the 100 going to make it close to double cause that'd be crazy.

It's a little late to change that now as I'll be knocked out within the hour. Good thing this hockey final isn't turning out to be much competitively so far.

Any other thing about this med ya'll can share that'd be cool. I can't find much on here.

QueensU_girl
06-04-08, 11:42 PM
Seroquel is an antipsychotic, not an antidepressant (for depression). Nor is it good for ADD.

Does he think you are Bipolar, maybe?

jason7655
06-05-08, 09:59 PM
he and the guy that did the memory testing seem to think I might have a mood disorder.

reading up on bipolar I see no way it could be that...but who knows.

lostmykeys
06-06-08, 12:33 AM
Seroqual knocks me out as well. If he thinks you are bipolar II, ask about Lamictal. That seems to really work well with stimulant meds. That medication is given more to those who are have more anxiety mixed in with some depression (could be cyclic but not always). Even 25 mg of seroquel knocks me out. I hated it.

Seroquel is also given for some sleep disorders as well. I know a girl who is on 400 mg and needs that to get to sleep. I don't get it because even 25 mg wipes me out. Interesting how we are all so very different. My friend doesn't have ADHD, though.

Seriously ask about Lamictal. It seem to have the least amount of side effects and has worked for almost everyone I know that has mild bipolar and ADHD.

i4got
06-13-08, 07:56 AM
Ok... Seroquel..

One of the top 3 ~worst~ meds I've ever been given in my life (prednisone being #1 and Paxil being #3)

It knocked me out at night and kept me a complete zombie all day. It was definitely a medication that was "not" right for me at all. It's an antipsychotic. Why give antipsychotics? He told me to use it for sleep, but to me this med is way too powerful and dangerous for "insomnia". I took this stuff for about 5 months and had a horrible time trying to get off of it, but I did succeed. I gained 25 pounds on the stuff, too.. 5 months :mad:

red03stang
06-15-08, 10:48 PM
I take 100-300 mg of seroquel before bed to sleep as needed. It kicks my *** the next day though. I mean all day i cant move at all.

Due to this i can only take it on the weekends. I do feel my brain needing the downtime on the weekends though.

during the week i take two ambien to sleep. My doc says until i get to a more stable place to be just take the sleep meds cuz i have to have my sleep

adhdogwalker
06-19-08, 01:47 AM
I love Seroquel and took it for about 9 months. I am Bipolar as well as ADHD. It helped a lot with my agitation, it also helped me stay organized and focused. I originally started at 50 mg. and ended up taking 500 mg. I took 300 at night and the other 200 spaced out during the day. I was not a zombie at all. I do remember that when I upped my dose, I tended to be a little brain fogged 3 days later (takes 3 days to reach a steady plasma concentration) for 1/2 a day.

The Seroquel did not completely stabilize my mood but I was a lot calmer without being sedated (slept about 6 hrs./night) and felt great when I woke up. It also got rid of all my headaches. Furthermore, I did not gain an ounce.

Unfortunately, I had to stop taking Seroquel because at the 500mg dose, I developed hyperprolactinemia. I can take smaller amounts to calm down during the day; however, I am not taking any right now because it does increase people's risk of heat stroke. I am outside walking dogs all day every day no matter what the weather is. In the summer time, my psychiatrist and I both agree that taking Seroquel is not a good idea.

If you feel drugged the entire day after taking 50mg of Seroquel, I would wait to up your dose to 100mg until your body adjusts to 50mg. The prescribing info states that the sedating effects of Seroquel usually disapper within 5-7 days. I'm not a physician but I just write this from personal experience. I would definitely discuss all your concerns with your doctor and perhaps try a new medication. Lamictal doesn't work at all for me, but a lot of people love it. It seems to be becoming the first choice in mood stabilizers for people with mood disorders.

Feel free to pm me any more questions about Seroquel and I'd be happy to answer them.

Good Luck!

jason7655
06-19-08, 08:44 AM
well, it's a moot point right now.

It makes me so much of a zombie I'm going off of it after being on 100mg for several weeks. Tapering off now and setting up a visit with a psych b/c my doc doesn't want to try anything else but Lithium and that doesn't do well with psoriasis.

We'll see what happens.

Writin' Wrong
06-23-08, 02:27 PM
Well, I guess it depends on the effect you're looking for, but I would say that if it makes you a zombie the next day, the dose is too high.

Before I was diagnosed ADD, I was prescribed Seroquel specifically for sleep, although I'm sure the fact that I have generalized anxiety was a factor in the choice of sleep med. For sleep, doses are 25-100 mg. I find 100 works best for me. Now that I've started Adderall, my doctor (a different one than the original, who maybe doesn't know enough about Seroquel) said I could go up to 200 if I wanted.

At too low of a dose, the sleep-inducing effect don't last long for me. One day I tried 125 mg, and I felt like a zombie the next morning. But 100 works just fine to get me drowsy when I want to go to bed (I take it 1-2 hours before I want to sleep).

I'm not sure if I agree that Seroquel is bad for poeple with ADHD I guess it depends on what your comorbid factors are, and whether you're on stims. For people who have a lot of anxiety or wicked mood swings from stims, maybe it helps (I'm not a doctor though this is just my experience).

For me, I couldn't take Adderall without it (although I'm sure there are other drugs that would work, in their own way). I have no desire to sleep until about 5 am on Adderall. This is a mistake I made just this weekend. I wanted to stay up Saturday night, so I didn't take my Seroquel. I only slept for about three hours on Sunday morning, and then I woke up to a horrendous all-day anxiety attack. I thought it was the sleep deprivation that caused it, but in retrospect, I think it was missing my Seroquel that caused trouble.

Interestingly, taking 100 mg last night probably made me a little zombified this morning. I am assuming that's because I missed a dose.

I don't know why anyone on Seroquel would take it in the daytime, but I'm not bipolar or psychotic, so I can't speak to their needs. It just seems to me that even if you weren't taking it for sleep, it would make more sense to take it at night. If you did have to take it in the daytime, I find that most of the sleepiness wears off in a couple hours' time.

Writin' Wrong
06-24-08, 03:47 AM
I want to revise and extend (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=606059&postcount=3) my remarks.

hockeygurlx1
07-08-08, 07:43 PM
My first psychiatrist diagnosed me as being bi-polar and put me on about a gazillion meds. Most of them made it really hard for me to sleep. So she put me on Seroquel to sleep. It seemed to be a really high dosage (about 70 mg) but did knock me out. It wasn't a great experience for me. But it was nice when I didn't have to wake up the next day. However, if I did, I was groggy the ENTIRE day. Ugh!

My new, and more competent, psychiatrist diagnosed me as being ADHD (instead of manic) and depressed. Two seperate problems as opposed to one. I'm now on a pretty effective medicine routine.

Tulsatime
08-04-08, 10:34 AM
My psychiatrist has put me on Seroqual XR 200mg and Ambify to help me with I guess bi-polar behavior, sleep disorders, aniexty and depression. I walked in with my almost empty container of Adderal and asked for a refill and he would not do it. He said it would only made your symptoms worst over time - "burn your brain out" were his words. I was given the talk he has done psychiatry for 26 years etc... Which I am fine with that and want to trust him but reading this forum and other online information I am taking very serious medications. I started my meds Friday night and today I was border-line drueling, barely able to verbally get my sentences out. I am praying this is just a phase thing and I should be fine in a couple weeks. But why would this doctor not fill my Adderal perscription??

ikgbixcal
09-27-08, 02:10 PM
i have to take 400-450 along with 2 ambiens 12.5mg each sumtimes that even doesnt even work

beachwalker
11-28-08, 02:48 AM
Seroquel is only an anti-psychotic at large doses (usually 400 +)
doesnt touch dopamine receptors until a lot of others are flooded
less seroquel treats bi polar less again social anxiety less again depression and less again ADHD
The one thing in common is it is for more anxious types i am told

I thought it was **** for ages, started at 50 mg a night to sleep

I am on about a third of a 25 mg a night, chew it off ie 8 mg a night (it allows me to sleep, not powerful like a benzo but it still works give or take a little time)
Even 25 mg a day and I am whacked a bit all day

Please dont say a medicine is antipsychotic... end of story... when you dont know!
I got sent into a panic because of these type of remarks until it was explained
ie I was thinking he thinks I am delusional but want tell me (I must be bad)! I am still on the 30 mg dexedrine a day for the ADHD!

elegy
11-28-08, 09:56 PM
^This person is correct.

The less you take, the sleepier you are. Get past 250-300mgs, your sleepiness will most likely dwindle. It also doesn't act as an anti-psychotic until you hit those doses.

Before you rag on it, inform yourself about it.

Tinatheawesome
11-27-14, 06:28 AM
My doctor put me on Depakote that fail then Rispederal too many side effects but worked really well then escitapaem for depression that worked no side effects but still have syndromes so added Ativan 0.5 for other things and seroquel the Ativan was put on me in the hospital but, knocked me out really quick because the lady gave me a full size pill instead and I metabolize medicine slowly.