View Full Version : a change of scenery

whirlygirl
06-10-08, 05:50 PM
My favorite strategy for cleaning or reorganizing a room is to start BIG. I come up with a major change I would like to see in a room and make it happen Afterwards I find I have the energy and focus to clean up and re-organize the rest of the room. For example, if I rearrange the furniture, I find I'm interested enough in putting the room back together to finish the job. I'm dying to see how it will look. Or if I decide that making an organizational change will improve my quality of life in some way, then because I want to see improvement I will tackle the clutter and basic cleaning that need to happen anyways.

I know that this is backwards from how most people do things, but I wanted to see if anyone else finds that this works for them. It must be that the novelty factor of a change of scenery allows me the focus I need to complete an otherwise dreaded set of tasks.

MECMR
06-28-08, 05:19 PM
Hi! I just found this, and I think it's really interesting.

I don't think I really work backwards that way, exactly. I do know that I have a hard time starting small, because I get caught up in the minute details and drive myself bonkers trying to figure out where to start. If I start on one little spot and say "Okay, I will just get this sink cleaned", I find 50 other things that need to be done, and I get pulled all over the place. Then, nothing gets completed, or even started.

I sort of have to be in a mood, and get myself going. "Alright, that is it, today I clean the WHOLE BATHROOM!" Then everything gets scrubbed and the linen closet gets organized.

But a change of scenery does help to drive me. I really want to get my first floor painted (living room, dining room, front hallway), and in order to do that, I ahve to clean up AND out, and move things around. So, I leave the paint swatches and inspiration photos right where I can see them, and don't let them get covered by clutter. Staring at them, then looking around, reminds me of what I want to get done.

whirlygirl
07-05-08, 09:43 PM
So, I leave the paint swatches and inspiration photos right where I can see them, and don't let them get covered by clutter. Staring at them, then looking around, reminds me of what I want to get done.this would help me too! Maybe another piece of the picture is that I'm very, very visual. It's harder to forget what I'm supposed to be doing when the couch is suddenly in the middle of the room or a luscious shade of red taped to the wall. Is this because of the visual reminder of the task at hand or simply the novelty of change?

All I know is that big shift in the appearance of a room or photos/swatches of a change I'm trying to create seem to result in more productivity than a detailed list. Now if I could just manage to work with both. . .

mychizzz
07-14-08, 04:27 PM
It helps for me, too. I become more comfortable to work if my environment or my work setting is well arranged according to how I want it. Basically, I do it in a way that all my needs for my work can be easily reached. You know it bothers me if I wouldn't do it first, especially if I can visualize how comforting the result will be.