View Full Version : healthcare in bc...

06-12-08, 01:27 PM
i am going to see my doctor and he will probably refer me to someone for an add diagnose testing.

i live in victoria bc canada, i know if i took it upon myself i would have to pay out of my own pocket... but if my doctor refers me is it covered by bc medical? or do i still have to pay?


06-14-08, 09:44 PM
I'm in Vancouver... I don't have a family doctor but got referred from a walkin clinic to a psychiatrist who diagnosed me. But his testing consisted of me telling him my history, the symptoms I saw, and then filled out this short questionaire. All that was covered, as well as subsequent treatment. Or at least I haven't received a bill yet :eek: ;).

But I've heard other people refer to more extensive testing at a place that specializes in it, maybe this wouldn't be covered? For me, his diagnosis was good enough, I'm more interested in improving my life than confirming what I already know.

Anyway, hope that helped, good luck!

06-16-08, 08:44 PM
so after the psychiatrist questionnaire what did he do? refer you to more testing? medication? somewhere where they can help you cope with add?

06-17-08, 01:34 AM
Then we started medication. First Concerta, now methylphenidate (Ritalin). Also have worked on strategies since then to help me deal with things better, like time management, because medication doesn't do it all.

And recently I had to get a re-referral from the doctor back to him, because apperently after six months our system requires you to do that, I guess to try to weed out people who don't really need therapy? Anyway, that was no problem, just took two minutes and briefly explained how things were going and that I still needed to see him because we were still working on stuff. He had also sent several updates to my file back to the doctor over that period, probably something they're required to do.

The frequency I saw him varied between 2 weeks to a month depending on what we were working on or if I was trying a new med etc. But I've also been trying to address some other issues, so ymmv.

Edit: There's a regional forum, you might get more specific feedback there? Also, while it's all the same system, my impression is your experience may vary a lot depending on the approach your pscyh has, as well as your approach and attitude.

06-26-08, 04:25 AM
In Canada it's free to see a doctor and a psychiatrist for a diagnosis (but you need a doctor's referral to see a psychiatrist). you only need to pay for a psychologist, unless you have extended medical coverage.

I have a list of people known to diagnose adhd in the Vancouver area, if you can't find anyone in Victoria to diagnose you, (hard to find medical professionals that are knowledgeable about ADD in Canada) email me if you'd like the list


06-27-08, 02:37 PM
Psychologists (who do testing) opted out of MEDICARE in Canada when it was set up in the 1960s.

MDs don't usually do testing for brain deficits (e.g. memory; auditory processing; exec dysfunction).

08-11-08, 06:42 AM
I'm curious - are there any Psychiatrists that specialize in ADHD in Victoria?

01-14-09, 03:57 PM
Dr Patrick Lydon, He is in the phone book