View Full Version : Low dose Tricyclics

penguin
06-14-08, 10:37 PM
Hi,
Has anyone tried the 10 - 40 mg desipramine that Dr. Halloway(sp) mentions in books and articles?
I am about to abandon Strattera and I don't like stims. There are supposedly no side effects at this level.
Thanks, Ken

simpleblue
06-15-08, 04:43 PM
I tried desipramin about 15 years ago after the effects of Ritalin weren't helping me. At that time I was taking quite a large dose of Ritalin.

I was on desipramin for quite some time. I remember dry mouth and constipation as the side-effect. Easily remedied side-effects. I can't comment on how well it worked. I'm certain it did its job or I wouldn't have continued it.

That's all I can tell you. I'm going to be asking my doctor to try it (or Wellbutrin) again because stimulants give me chest pains. So maybe we can compare our experiences. :)

penguin
06-16-08, 09:25 AM
Hi,
I have been on 10 MG strattera for the last 2 months and I still find the guy thing to be troublesome. I also have been taking 300 mg Wellbutrin last 4 months(recently reduced to 200 mg due to memory issues). Since I don't believe I will be able to endure the side effects of 25 let alone 40 - 80, I want to let my GP know what I want to try next. He is very flexible as long as it doesn't involve more than vyvanse. I don't want to go the stim route yet because I remember hating the crash cycle when I was teen in the 60's.
The "Delivered from Distraction" book lists low dose desip as one of the things to try.
Thanks, Ken

simpleblue
06-16-08, 10:00 PM
I don't want to go the stim route yet because I remember hating the crash cycle when I was teen in the 60's.
Crash cycles is what stims are all about. It's the same as a chronic caffeine drinker, only far more intense. They'll pick you up, then crash you, leaving your ADD FAR worse then it was to begin with. That's just my experience. I'm sure it's been great for others.

As for now I find exercise is working fine for me. There's no crash and so many added benefits such as decreased depression/anxiety, better sleep, good for the body, all of which stims do the reverse. Not to mention natural motivation and energy.

Just an idea for now.

penguin
06-16-08, 11:38 PM
Hi,
My current exercise regimen consists of carrying a pack with 30 lbs(the amount of weight I lost over a year ago) over a very hilly 3 1/2 mile loop.
I do this 3 - 4 times a week. It takes me 55 minutes to accomplish this.
The rest of my exercise is hammering in my blacksmith shop. I see all sorts of faces on my anvil.:rolleyes:Wellbutrin gives me about 1/2 of what I am looking for(focus,concentration) as long as I exercise regularly. You are correct that for me, exercise is a key component.
Strattera is becoming too heavy handed with the side effects for the little bit that I want to achieve. (10Mg during the last 6 weeks.) I promised my Doc to try it for 8 weeks before moving on. There is no way I can survive 25 Mg. The 10 mg leaves me with nothing but side effects after about 3 hours. I might be ok if I can quit my teaching job and become a full time time backpacker.:(
Thanks, Ken

irony
08-02-08, 07:40 PM
Hi,
Has anyone tried the 10 - 40 mg desipramine that Dr. Halloway(sp) mentions in books and articles?
I am about to abandon Strattera and I don't like stims. There are supposedly no side effects at this level.
Thanks, Ken

under 50mg doses of desipramine work wonders for my ADD.

it makes me hyper anxious though, so I can't take it.

definitely worth a try.

mctavish23
08-02-08, 07:45 PM
I 've taken a low dose of nortriptyline (Pamelor) for years to help with sleep.

My doctor also said that, in addition to help with falling asleep, it may also have a synergistic effect with my other ADHD meds (Wellbutrin SR ,Adderall & Adderall XR ).

It definately helps me get to sleep and my meds have been working well.

However, I can't necessarily say that it has that effect.

Either way, this combination has been helpful for many years.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

penguin
08-05-08, 09:11 PM
Hi Irony,

Did you have any "male problems" with the low dose desipramine??
The Vyvanse 30mg and high protein combo leaves me after about 7 hours.
Thanks, Ken

penguin
08-08-09, 02:02 AM
Hi,
Anyone else tried the low dose desipramine regimen similar to "Delivered from Distraction"?
If so, any "Man" issues? I am looking for it to help out with Vyvanse as Wellbutrin has started to hammer my memory. Strat was terrible with the side effects. I want something that wil help out on "Vacation days" from stims as well as minimize the effects of the wear off at the end of the day.
Thanks, Ken

irony
03-15-10, 01:22 AM
Hi Irony,

Did you have any "male problems" with the low dose desipramine??

just semi-painful ejaculations. no problems standing at attention that I remember, if that is what you mean. If anything, the opposite.

alexander123
03-23-10, 08:43 AM
is it correct that Imipramine metabolises into desimipramine, so if I cant get the latter in my country, I should take the former (i.e. Imipramine)?

Ms. Mango
04-04-10, 09:00 PM
is it correct that Imipramine metabolises into desimipramine, so if I cant get the latter in my country, I should take the former (i.e. Imipramine)?

That's my understanding. My son takes imipramine and when his blood level was checked they looked at imipramine and desipramine levels.

For my son the imipramine causes sedation. He hasn't complained of dry mouth or constipation although those are well known side effects.

He hasn't complained of any *ahem* male problems, either. But then again, he's only 7. :rolleyes:

irony
04-18-10, 11:49 AM

In my personal experience imipramine did nothing for me, where as desipramine did lots.

but everyone is different.

meridian
04-18-10, 01:59 PM
Everybody is different it seems.

The first med I was put on was imipramine. It made me jittery, buzzy, impatient.

Wellbutrin gave me psycho nightmares.

And Strattera (aside from cold hands and dry mouth) does work for me.

You have to try what's available and stick to what works.

alexander123
04-26-10, 08:57 AM
... thanks for the replies to my question.!.

one other thing: desipramine is supposed to be genotoxic in fruit flies, according to wikipedia at least. I am not a fruit fly, or dare I say Drosophila etc., but this is a bit disturbing...

marie-johanne
07-01-10, 01:25 PM
I 've taken a low dose of nortriptyline (Pamelor) for years to help with sleep.

My doctor also said that, in addition to help with falling asleep, it may also have a synergistic effect with my other ADHD meds (Wellbutrin SR ,Adderall & Adderall XR ).

It definately helps me get to sleep and my meds have been working well.

However, I can't necessarily say that it has that effect.

Either way, this combination has been helpful for many years.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

Hey - I was placed on Nortrip (35mg), then Ami when Nortrip made me so ill in the first week. Ami was worse. What dose were you on? I can't seem to tolerate this line of medication.

Ridgerunner
06-13-12, 12:52 AM
Penguin,
I got the idea many years ago, to ask my new Psychiatrist, to add 50 mg
of Norpramin (desipramine) to my methyphenidate dosing, (one 20mg at wake-up, and one 20 mg after lunch, 1PM. This was about 15 yrs ago, "the idea came directly, as many of you have mentioned, from the book "Driven to Distraction" and the followup book, "Answers to Distraction"
At the time, I was wrestling with the uneven, "boost" that Ritalin gave me, which definetely helped my concentration, and focusing, but, the crash,
and waiting for the return of feeling "unscattered" was by year three, becoming a persistant minor problem. I had already in 1996 tried, the Ritalin extended release, but, it was too weak.
1. My M.D. immediately prescribed me the generic form of Norpramin, however, he also reduced the dose of my methyphenidate to one 10 mg at 8AM Noon and 4PM, and, I took, the desipramine, in the evening.
2. I was only in my first marriage, and, the beginning of the 2nd year....
I experienced a significant, delay in my ability to both reach a climax,
and, the climax, was "watered down" I am positive, due to the desipramine, thus, it was a dysphoric cycle of having sexual relations with my spouse. It bordered mild pain, to reach ejaculation, and, the normal,
pleasure of relief, just did not feel right, compared, to when I had not added any tricycle antidepressants.

3. My M.D I asked :can we return to the original formula, of 2 x 20 mg of
Ritalin per day? he was very controlling, and, for the next 9 months, refused to make any changes. I also, experienced some mild constipation, within days of taking Norpramin,as well, as "Tinnitus" (a ringing in the ears)

4. I sought out another Psychiatrist when I ask a local Chadd ADD group for advice, thus, never tried it again. My next psychiatrist, did titrate in two
new drugs, Adderall 40 mg a day and Wellbutrin 75 mg a day. I got a tightness in the chest, with the Wellbutrin, and sometimes a tension headache, thus after a 4 month trial, I stayed on Adderall, for many years.
The only other anti-depressant I mixed with my stimuants, was, some 8 to 10 years later, 30 days of Remeron, take at bedtime, (I hated Remeron, was very drowsy, in the AM, and tried one month of Prozac, only 10mg of it, and I experienced, the same side effects, "Tinnitus, mildly irritated stomach, a tightness in the chest, and, some delayed ejaculation, and, a
blunted climax, with sexual intercourse. Adderall I/R, Dexedrine I/R. and
both the Dexedrine Spansule and/or the Barr generic d-amphetamine never gave me any man problems, ever.

spunkysmum
06-13-12, 01:08 AM
I tried a low-dose tricyclic once. It was before I was diagnosed with ADHD and was actually while I was experiencing a depressive episode, and it was not prescribed to me but was among a surprisingly wide array of drugs prescribed to my mom while she was in the hospital for two months being treated for a strep infection of the spine, that even she didn't really know why they were prescribed. I found them and started taking them out of desperation when I was depressed. I actually recall feeling like they did help to some degree, almost as soon as I started taking them. But I don't think I'd be able to recall enough to say whether they helped my ADHD symptoms or not.

Shabazz
03-05-13, 12:18 PM
I have been on desipramine in the past, for depression. My doc just started me up on it again for the adhd to work with my adderall.

I can say ... hands down ... that it is absolutely the most potent & effective antidepressant I've ever taken. The new ssri & snri are child's play in comparison.

VOltaire
03-05-13, 02:17 PM
Hey - I was placed on Nortrip (35mg), then Ami when Nortrip made me so ill in the first week. Ami was worse. What dose were you on? I can't seem to tolerate this line of medication.

The first 2weeks on this medication you experience the (fog) & extreme lethargy these symptoms generally dissapate quickly they did for me anyway!
One of the best Tri-cyclics in my opinion!!!