View Full Version : Good book for someone who can't afford therapy

Rudegar
06-16-08, 07:17 PM
Well the title pretty much sums it up.
I am relatively recently diagnosed and realize that medication is only part of the solution, but I can't afford to go to therapy and talk to someone and sort through this ADD stuff. I know there may not be a replacement with a book but wonder if there is a book that can help me understand ADD better and come to terms with it.
Thanks

Tara
06-16-08, 08:58 PM
While it's not a replacement for therapy or mental health counseling - Sari Solden's Journeys Through ADDulthood is one of the best books about the emotional aspects of Adult ADHD.

Also I wouldn't rule out mental health counseling. Many clinicians offer a sliding scale.

curseandablessi
06-17-08, 07:08 AM
So far my two fav's are "you mean I'm not lazy, crazy, or stupid" and "organizing solutions for people with ADD" (it has pictures-woohoo! I haven't really read but 4 books (or tried to read) so far.

The "four weeks" book sounded like too much work and the red and white organizing book I'm having trouble getting into reading.

There are counselors who do sliding scales based on income, and a lot of cash patients can get discounts. Alot of docs charge more initially to insurance patients because the insurance only pays so much of a percentage of what they charge. I know my brother paid like 1/2 for an MRI when he paid cash, than my insurance was charged.