View Full Version : Help, I think I am running out of Med options.

CompleteChaos
06-23-08, 09:21 AM
I think I have found something that is working, for now. I went from Concerta 54 and Ritalin 10 every day to Adderall XR 15 and Adderall IR 10 to my current cocktail of Metadate CD 50 every day. That wasn't enough. So we added Metadate CD 30 every afternoon and sometimes an additional Ritalin 10 in the early evening.

Long story, short version is The Metadate CD is working for now. The doctor told me it may not work very long. I feel like I am running out of choices. I liked Adderall the best to help with the ADHD symptoms but I couldn't hack the side effects. WHAT ARE MY NEXT OPTIONS? The doctor mentioned maybe Dexadrine. I should know more about these meds being a nurse, but I just don't. I don't give them often.

Bottom line, I am continuing to create structure, use my calandar and planner, exercise and attempt to eat healthy. When I can do all this it helps (Key word is when) Thanks to all those who stuck around to read my rambling. I appreciate it.

I will keep you posted. I may have to change my name I don't fee completely chaotic anymore.

KFran
06-23-08, 09:28 AM
There are other options. I felt the same way. I was tired of all of the side effects. I tried Adderall, Focalin, Concerta, etc. I told my doc that maybe stimulants wasn't for me because I could not hang with the side effects. He said to hang in there and we would find something. He prescribed me Vyvanse and he upped my effexor and I am doing great. I know that everyone is different and Vyvanse may not work for you but I will say it does work great for me. It last so much longer than the adderall and you don't feel so edgy when coming off of it. At least that is how it is for me. There are more solutions, don't get discouraged!

CompleteChaos
06-23-08, 09:41 AM
What is Vyvanse? It is not in my drug book? I forgot I did try Strattera and that did not work. I also take Wellbutrin SR 150.

KFran
06-23-08, 09:58 AM
Vyvanse is a time released pro-drug. Pro-drug means that it can only be effective by ingesting (ie, doesn't work by snorting, injecting, etc.) It is supposed to work for 10-12 hours. For me, it last about 8-9, which is good. Shire is the pharmaeutical company that puts it out. The side effects for me have been almost no existance. When I can tell that it is wearing off, I just go eat something and I don't edgy and irritable. I would have to say so far it has been a life saver.

CompleteChaos
06-23-08, 10:03 AM
I know I could look this up online but it is fun chatting with you instead :)
Is it a stimulant? What drug classification is it in? My drug book is from 2003 when I was in nursing school. I don't find it. Unless it has another name.
I am glad you found something that works for you.

KFran
06-23-08, 10:07 AM
It is a stimulant. I also noticed that when I was on Focalin, I seemed to have an anti-social problem. I did not participate in group issues at work. With Vyvanse I am front and center. It gets me up and going and it helps me focus on the task at hand.

It is a new drug. I believe it was approved for adults in 2007.