View Full Version : Started taking Guanfacine

billybobthorton
06-25-08, 10:46 PM
hello all,
I started guanfacine yesterday with 1mg...and then I felt like it wasnt doing the job..i decided to take another 1mg. I checked my blood pressure and it was normal. First off, there wasn't a big dramatic response(not that I was expecting) but definitely some of my ADD(mostly inattentive) symptoms subsided. Cognitively it was the short term memory and analyzing strategies that were more or less on par with stimulants. I currently take adderall 10mg tab twice a day. Also I switched the guanfacine to 1mg tab in the morning and 1mg tab in the late afternoon. Even when the adderall wears off (4hours after taking it) I can still feel the subtle effects of guanfacine. It tends to keep me slightly sedated (but awake enough to study). I still get urges to get distracted and deviate from my work but through some willful focusing I get through the work. The cognitive tasks are easier to handle which makes it more like a positive reinforcer to keep me focused. I will update soon.

theta
07-01-08, 02:10 AM
Cool keep us informed of how it works for you. I'm interested in trying it myself.

Speedo has often mentioned its usefulness in impulsivity for himself. But studies show it helping with inattention to.

speedo
07-01-08, 06:09 PM
For me guanfacine did not do a lot for attention. It did reduce hyperactivity and impulsivity a lot. It was not a subtle difference, it was a significant and readily noticable difference. I take an add-on med (wellbutrin) to help with attention but I think the combination of wellbutrin and guanfacine do work better on attention than either one alone, so yes I think guanfacine does help improve attention a little, but not nearly so much as it does reduce hyperactivity and impulsivity.

I'm curious to see how well it works out for someone with inattentive adhd.

Me :D

billybobthorton
07-17-08, 07:18 PM
Now that guanfacine has been in my system for a few weeks I can def. say that it works. I am taking 1mg in morning and 1mg in the evening. I highly reccommend this stuff. After doing a bit of research on it... I found that there is evidence supporting guanfacine for improving memory and prefrontal cortex functioning. The obvious result was keeping my sympathetics in check (constipation, dry mouth, relaxation). I am not sure why some people do not find this med useful. The only way I know how to answer that is that some ADD(inattentive type/or any ADHD) people are prone to excess catecholamine sensitivity. This med works to alleviate that issue. With this matter under control(at least for me), you are better able to handle the situation/task/assignment at hand. For those that this med doesn't work...maybe their ADHD originates with a different kind of CNS issue.... or combination of issues. I must restate that I continue to take adderall b/c nothing beats that when it comes to pure focus. I hope to get off adderall one day and continue with guanfacine.

irony
08-02-08, 07:37 PM
Now that guanfacine has been in my system for a few weeks I can def. say that it works. I am taking 1mg in morning and 1mg in the evening. I highly reccommend this stuff. After doing a bit of research on it... I found that there is evidence supporting guanfacine for improving memory and prefrontal cortex functioning. The obvious result was keeping my sympathetics in check (constipation, dry mouth, relaxation). I am not sure why some people do not find this med useful. The only way I know how to answer that is that some ADD(inattentive type/or any ADHD) people are prone to excess catecholamine sensitivity. This med works to alleviate that issue. With this matter under control(at least for me), you are better able to handle the situation/task/assignment at hand. For those that this med doesn't work...maybe their ADHD originates with a different kind of CNS issue.... or combination of issues. I must restate that I continue to take adderall b/c nothing beats that when it comes to pure focus. I hope to get off adderall one day and continue with guanfacine.

I keep asking my doc to let me try this but he claims it does nothing for attention.

I've read otherwise. And also, Shire Inc plans to sell an extended release version of guanfacine for add. Their marketing material hints at attention as well as hyperactivity.

Glad it is working for you. maybe I will just order some online.

speedo
08-02-08, 09:09 PM
There are a number of studies involving guanfacine. It does a good job on hyperactivity and and impulsivity but does not do much (if anything) for attention. I've been on it a long time and that has been my experience. If someone told you that guanfacine was good for attention, okay, that is fine, but my experience and all of the science that I've read on it says that is does not do very much for attention and you probably want to consider an add-on like a small dose of a stimulant to help with attention when taking guanfacine for adhd.

Me :D

TygerSan
08-06-08, 04:07 PM
The data on working memory are mixed. The data on attention in humans are also mixed, with some showing that there is an improvement in distractability (not sustained attention like the stimulants) (Arnsten & Conant in the early 90's in older monkeys).

That lab keeps pushing guanfacine as a good drug for improving working memory (Arnsten's lab). They do get good results with it in monkeys, and even in humans. But others don't see nearly as good a result, so jury's still out.

Shire seems to think that it's worth the effort to run clinical trials, and the drug may have already gotten FDA approval for the treatment of ADHD, so it's probably not without some benefit.

Like Speedo said, the effects on hyperactivity/impulsivity are more consistent.

bobC
09-12-08, 11:58 AM
I believe it only helps if you have memory problems related to low alpha-2 stimulation due to low catecholamine levels. It may even be possible to test for some forms of innattentive ADD via memory tests before and after tenex.

BobC