View Full Version : getting diagnosed private then going NHS?

kathelijne
06-26-08, 09:11 AM
Hi there,

I had a general question. I'm Dutch but am now living in London. My husband is American and I lived there for 3 years. I got diagnosed there with ADHD (what a world of difference my life became after being on Adderall!!!). I now have been living in London for 3 months and have been of my meds for 2 months and feel things crumbling right under my feet. I went to my GP and he said the waitlist for London on the NHS is about 6 months! He said if I had a referral from my doctor in the States it might speed things up but I can't seem to get hold of him. He gave me enough Adderall to tide me over for 1 month thinknig that sohulf be enought o get sorted ont his side of the pond. Little did i know how slow and non-accepted this condition is in adults!!!! Anyways, it too kme for ever to find a job as my mind is all over the place. I finally found one and couldn't cope with it all and gave my notice. I am now due to start a new job in about 4,5 weeks and I don't want to have a repeat situation. I NEED TO GET BACK ON MY MEDS and i can't wait 6 months. My GP prescribes an adult sufferer of adhd so my question is if i get -re-diagnosed by an UK phychiatrist privately, cna ithen swith back to the nhs or show this to my GP so everything thereafter is on the NHS?

QueensU_girl
06-26-08, 10:52 AM
Take your diagnostic or testing report to your new GP.

Usually the reports recommend 'stimulant medication" be tried/prescribed.

If you do not have a neuropsychologist's testing report, alternately you could have your old medical records (a chart summary) from your US doctor faxed to your new GP?

From what I read about the UK and NHS and Adult ADDers, it seems like it is VERY hard to get diagnosed in that country. (May have to go the paid LD/ADD testing route... e.g. memory testing, listening testing, exec function testing, etc.

kilted_scotsman
06-29-08, 05:15 AM
Yes you can go private and then go to your GP.... however that requires your GP to refer you to the private diagnostician in the first place. Up here in Scotland some GP's have a dislike of the private sector and procrastinate like hell.

Secondly I think Adult ADD is still not included in the NICE list of clinical treatments so even if you get a diagnosis your GP does not have to prescribe if he doesn't want to.

Thirdly Adderall isn't normally prescribed here..... it's bad enough trying to get Ritalin as an adult, even though they give it to kids.

All in all it depends entirely on how openminded your GP is as the GP acts as gatekeeper to all medical services NHS and private.

As QueensU girls says..... it is very difficult to get diagnosed in the UK, particularly within the NHS as the mental health waiting lists are HUGE and the psychiatrists/psychologists will inevitable try to pin the "depression" label on you first.

What made the difference for me was going to my GP with the name and contact details of the private clinic I wished to attend...which meant the GP just had to write a referral letter and let me do the rest. Once diagnosed he is interested enough in new things to prescribe as the private psychiatrist wanted.

kilt

-MiZ-
06-29-08, 02:44 PM
check with your G.P before u go for a private dx, as theres no rules requiring the doctor to prescribe meds on the nhs for a private dx, though some will

x Alanna x
07-02-08, 09:11 AM
my gp reffered me to a private clinic, i have an appointment on the 13th august in altrincham.

i dunno if my doctor will prescribe me with meds after i have been diagnosed, i did not ask.

im just more bothered about getting diagnosed in august at the moment.. haha

Morrigan
07-02-08, 09:47 AM
Yes you can go private and then go to your GP.... however that requires your GP to refer you to the private diagnostician in the first place. Up here in Scotland some GP's have a dislike of the private sector and procrastinate like hell.

Secondly I think Adult ADD is still not included in the NICE list of clinical treatments so even if you get a diagnosis your GP does not have to prescribe if he doesn't want to.

Thirdly Adderall isn't normally prescribed here..... it's bad enough trying to get Ritalin as an adult, even though they give it to kids.

All in all it depends entirely on how openminded your GP is as the GP acts as gatekeeper to all medical services NHS and private.

As QueensU girls says..... it is very difficult to get diagnosed in the UK, particularly within the NHS as the mental health waiting lists are HUGE and the psychiatrists/psychologists will inevitable try to pin the "depression" label on you first.

What made the difference for me was going to my GP with the name and contact details of the private clinic I wished to attend...which meant the GP just had to write a referral letter and let me do the rest. Once diagnosed he is interested enough in new things to prescribe as the private psychiatrist wanted.

kilt

This is what we did-had an appoinment within 2 weeks, and our GP is talking to the private clinic at the moment about prescribing.

My partner would like to try Adderall but we heard it's really, really expensive so we couldn't do it on a private prescription :(

planetdave
07-03-08, 01:54 PM
Kilted Scotsman is incorrect. You CAN self refer to a private psychiatrist. I did (had one recommended to me by 'ADDIS') and had the whole thing sorted out in weeks with the psy recommending treatment levels to my GP.

I can't see why a GP would not follow a US diagnosis though, they are not exactly third world. Worth trying first.