View Full Version : In chatroom now - anyone want to join me?

Cantab
07-02-08, 12:40 AM
Hi - this is my first post. Not sure if it's the best place for it but never mind - let's see if anyone takes the bait and joins me in the chat room!

I guess it's late for the US - East coast anyway, early for Europe, and still working day for Asia / Pacific. I'm from the UK and in Tokyo, but happen to be free at this time, so thought I'd try this anyway!

I am 41, diagnosed ADHD 5 days ago (self diagnosed over the few days before). I have just started Ritalin and so far so good, although dose is quite low - 20mg am plus 10mg noon - start to feel sleepy early afternoon as it wears off but it's early days yet and I can talk to the doctor about the dose when I next see him.

So - join me in the chat room and help me stay awake! I guess I could make a cup of coffee...

Cantab.

Maurice
07-04-08, 04:04 PM
Hey Cantab! I am Maurice from the U.S. I was up last night and probably would have checked it out, I was either probably watching T.V. I just got a brand new Sony Bravia 32" HDTV and it's hooked up to a satellite box and has a lot of HD channels. It also has a port that I can plug into my laptop PC and my screen goes from 17" to 32". I think it is pretty cool. This is the 1st time I have ever tried a chat room. And I am pretty sure I am in it by myself. I am wondering if you plan on trying it out again tonight at the same time around Midnight to 12:30 my time, I am on DST until autumn then I go back to EST. What time zone are you in in Japan?? Do you happen to be there for the military or college?? Do you miss the UK?? At any rate if you plan on trying again tonight I will join in, and look for you around midnight to 12:30A.M. or 00:00 to 00:30 DST. Did anyone try it last night? I am always up at least that late no matter what. And I put this thread/forum on instant e-mail notification. So I will talk to you and whoever else in 7 or 71/2 hours. Take care, Maurice P.S. I finally got diagnosed a little over a month ago, and I remember being really angry at the fact nobody figured this ADD in me decades earlier and can't help but wonder if my life would have been better? I also ordered a couple of good books on ADD from Amazon.com and read them. I found out what type of ADD I have, I took the Myers-Briggs type indicator test and figure out my temperament and type. I am an ISTP. Have you done that yet? It is very interesing. Talk with you later?

Cantab
07-05-08, 08:52 PM
I am glad you mentioned that feeling - angry that nobody noticed before! I had problems at school but was sent to a Freudian analyst - talking about base thoughts and feeling from childhood, everything being connected to urine and feces - I think the therapist had more problems than I did. It certainly didn't help at all and put me off psychologists and psychiatrists - a psychiatrist had sent me to the psychologist after all - that was all 30 years ago. I have felt that they should have spotted the ADHD - had I had dx then life could have been so different - every relationship I've had has been tested to breaking point by what I now know have been ADHD symptoms - I mourn the life that wasn't lead but am trying to let go...

Tokyo is 9 hours ahead of GMT - it's 9.50 am here right now. Too complicated to explain what I am doing here - I am supposed to be working for a UK company but things are not working out - I'll explain it sometime if we meet in the chat room - perhaps later? I'll try to keep the cha window open while I'm in front of the computer for the next few days.

Cheers,
Cantab.

vitaknarf
07-14-08, 11:51 AM
I can relate to running into alot of neurotic therapists. I get more out of my adhd books.

klsmom
08-09-08, 11:57 PM
Hey there new here too. I just have a question and was wondering if anyone can help. Our 3 year old is out of control. She has trouble sitting still, she acts out, she does not listen. She cannot concentrate and no matter the punshiment she will continue to do what got her in trouble in the first place. I am concerned and we believe that she is early ADD/ADHD. However many people (family, friends) tell us that it is just being a defiant child. Are we over reacting or is there a real possibility of ADD/ADHD?

d2k1
08-25-08, 05:05 AM
My younger brother acted like that when he was a tot, and was later (at 12) diagnosed with adhd. He supposedly grew out of it (he totally did O_o), but yea... he was crazy as a youngling.

becs92
08-29-08, 01:53 PM
My son was diagnosed with depression and add, since he smokes weed everyday all day now drinking and taking ecstasy pills. He has turned into a habitual liar. He will not take the medication; his life is spiraling downward fast! I just recently kicked him out the house for stealing my car rental this summer! He was supposed to go into rehab but when I was going to pick him up he said no, i think his girlfriend had something to do with it. now he is calling today...dont know what to do!

browneyes_326
09-19-08, 01:19 AM
Hey there new here too. I just have a question and was wondering if anyone can help. Our 3 year old is out of control. She has trouble sitting still, she acts out, she does not listen. She cannot concentrate and no matter the punshiment she will continue to do what got her in trouble in the first place. I am concerned and we believe that she is early ADD/ADHD. However many people (family, friends) tell us that it is just being a defiant child. Are we over reacting or is there a real possibility of ADD/ADHD?

**Warning this could be a long one!**

Ahhh hearing the stories about the kids makes me want to give the parents and the kids HUGE hugs. I was not diagnosed until last year (at 31). The damage from going undiagnosed is fairly substantial ... please, please have her tested. Its particularly damaging to little girls w/ self-esteem etc ... It makes me so sad that other adults would say she's just being a defiant child. I'm sorry but when I acted out horribly as a child it was because I was having horrible feelings of frustration that I could not understand.
And then If you yell at an ADD child they will engage with you, I've read that they can become addicted to it because it gives them that 'high' we're always searching for. AND it can be extremely overwhelming and confusing to them ... I have fully LOST IT when being verbally assaulted by my mother or sister ... I felt like I wanted to crawl out of skin or pull my hair out. There is a subset of ADD that has a symptom of sensitivity to light & sound. I've got it. So you can imagine if there were a lot of commotion going on around a small child w/ this they'd probably be pretty 'unruly' ... I was!

Couple little things, I can only imagine that thinking your child may have something 'wrong' with them must be sad and upsetting. But IF she does have ADD you've got to help her. Don't be afraid of it, she will be an amazing little person ... But she needs your help.

I don't have children, so who am I to give you parenting advice BUT I was that child so I'll tell you something that I think may help ... even if it's not ADD.
So, there's a show on TV called Jon & Kate plus 8 ... family raising 8 children (this mother is definitely NOT ADD, HAHA!) ANYWAY, I caught an episode where she had noticed that her oldest daughter comes home from school worn out, upset, overwhelmed and angry often (I practically crawled through the TV to tell her to have her daughter tested) ... she handles it by NOT getting angry back, NOT yelling & NOT punishing her but by creating a quiet place alone away from the other kids to 're-collect' herself when she gets home. She sets her up in the parents bed w/ the lights down, door closed and some kiddy show on the TV ... I was amazed ... somehow by instinct she handled it this way. Man, how that would've helped me as a child! I had a huge smile on my face to see the little girl was able have her alone time, de-stress and came out happy.

I have no clue if will help you in anyway ... I truly hope that it gives you some insight ... and remember we have just as many outstanding traits as 'difficulties', tend to creative and intelligent .... and if I do say so myself quite interesting people!

BEST WISHES