View Full Version : Limiting exercise to recommended times

Sickle
07-16-08, 01:01 PM
I have to say that I am a health nut, sort of.

I eat steak, and like a baked potato every now and then but I stay away from junk food, drugs, drank alcohol for a couple of months last year, turned 21, smoked pot occasionally in high school, no cigarettes... you get the drift.

I run at least 5k every morning which isn't exactly unhealthy but when it comes to strength training, I don't take days off at all and do push ups daily etc. and it feels like I can't lower it to adhere to the recommendations of taking some time off. I hardly have any body fat left and was a chubby Doritos man for a year or two as a teen so I don't think I am eating disorder material, because men get them too...

But yeah I have a question, are there any other people with ADD who have issues with exercising a lot and fear that it may be unhealthy to be more active than what is recommended?

Any feedback will be appreciated, thanks???

prtsimmons
07-16-08, 01:54 PM
If you have to train everyday, you need to vary your workout. Strength training the same muscle group two days in a row is counter-productive - you will actually see less strength gains than if you train half as much. Do your chest one day, your back the next day, and your legs on the third day. You can workout every day as long as you give a muscle group that has been trained with resistance exercises at least a day in between workouts.

I used to be like that when I was in university. I avoided overtraining by mixing up my routine - running, skipping, hitting the heavy bag, weapons, weights, plyometrics (power/speed drills), flexibility. Do 2 or 3 of those a day and you will be fine.

Stand up and let your hands fall to your sides. Which way are your palms facing? If they face backwards in the classic gorilla/gym rat pose, you have been doing too many push-ups and not enough lat / rhomboid / rear deltoid exercises. You need to balance front and back.

You really should take one day off a week, too. Your immune system and resistance to injury will definitely go down if you don't.

Mincan
07-16-08, 02:59 PM
I kind of go by season... in summer i bike in winter i lif tweights...i dont do it to be vain, i do it for hte dopamine, so its not organised... but i definitely would have a problem with not being able to bike everyday... and i do it to excess but that was only a problem in the beginning...

Ian
07-17-08, 12:16 PM
Yes I had a heck of a time over doing almost everything in my life. It was here on the the forums that I began to use a now long standing thread to try and help be a little more accountable to an exercise habit that might be better.

There was a thread prior to this about men and exercise and that evolved into this more inclusive one. I think it was here that I used a graphic calendar to mark my days. Now I use an online log. If you really want to change this habit, lets get into it. :D
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7714

I set out to learn and follow a recipe not so much to celebrate my genetic predisposition, but to train what I was given so that I improved athletically without injury. I used to get sick all the time, because I would go too far and get a cold or flu.

It's been four or five years now since I began and I have used running as a platform and model for me to learn better self care. I am by no means perfectly adjusted, but I am much better at sensing what I need and when as far as eating, sleeping and exercise.

I think the most important thing I've learnt is that in this game of training, recovery is everything. Applying more stress when I have not adapted is a waste of time and often counterproductive, if my aim is to improve. Plan the race, race the plan. I set some goals and then used the forum here to be accountable. I have hit the ditch many times by being caught over training, but recently I dropped more than ten minutes of my half marathon time and that's been rewarding enough to keep my days off sacred. :) I'm no speedster, but at 49 I'm looking forward to breaking the two hour half marathon sometime in the near future and I'm not injured!

I'm doing a mini taper this week as my first trail run in this summer series is coming up on Saturday morning. I think it's going to be very muddy with a lot of bugs. :D
http://trailrunmanitoba.com/

Keep us posted.
Ian