View Full Version : I saw in my Mosby's that Clonidine is used for ADHD in some patients

Louder Than Love
07-20-08, 01:08 AM
This may have already been asked, pardon me if I double-post? I'd really like to know more about this.

Ive taken Clonopin 0.4 for Opiate withdrawal, but i wasnt exactly in the frame of mind to really expound on the way it made me feel mentally.

If any of you are taking it, and have the time, tell me what it makes any better?

any decent resources?

speedo
07-20-08, 09:53 AM
klonipin and clonidine are two different things. Yes clonidine is sometimes given for opiate withdrawal. Clonidine works on adhd mostly by reducing hyperactivity and impulsivity.

Me :D

At Heart
07-23-08, 12:14 AM
Hi Mindspin,

As Speedo states, Clonazepam (Klonopin) and Clonidine are two different drugs. Klonopin is a long acting benzodiazepine, and Clonidine is an anti-hypertensive medication that is useful in treating ADHD (for some).

Clonidine (Catapres) is an antihypertensive drug (Manheim et al. 1982) that is effective in the treatment of ADHD (Hunt et al. 1985; Steingard et al. 1993). It has also been used to treat Tourette syndrome by reducing tics, improving hyperactivity, and decreasing obsessive-compulsive symptoms (Leckman et al. 1985; Leckman et al. 1991; Hewlett et al. 1992). Clonidine is an alpha-adrenergic stimulating agent that acts on presynaptic neurons to inhibit norepinephrine activity (fig. 8.2). Hunt et al. (1985) suggested that clonidine may be most beneficial in children with ADHD, who are easily emotionally overwhelmed, are anxious, and have a low frustration tolerance. Clonidine also stimulates growth hormone release (Leckman et al. 1984), and it causes sedation, so it may be helpful in treating the ADHD of children with FXS who have sleep disturbances, motor tics, or hyperarousal (chap. 1).

Clonidine might (in rare cases) be given for Opiate withdrawal - however, having worked as a nurse in rehab I would bet that it was Clonopin (the benzo - Valium type drug) that was given - which is used to decrease the nervous system stimulation and potentially prevent a seizure, which is one of the main concerns regarding the withdrawal from opiates. There is also some threat of a hypertensive crisis caused by opiate withdrawal (more rare than a seizure - however, one of the things that we look for when someone is suffering from DT's is elevated heart rate and blood pressure), so Clonidine may have been used.

Hope I haven't succeeded in simply confusing you. I will be happy to find more information about Clonidine if you are interested.

At Heart

Louder Than Love
07-24-08, 02:49 AM
Sorry, I really meant to post Catapres there, yeah I know, Klonopin, a C IV benzodiazapine.

And in Detox I was given 2 MG Ativan BID, 10 MG Methadose TID, and the Clonodine.

I went ahead and took a total of 0.2 mg's of it today, with a surprising effect, mixed with my Adderall, it actually seemed to keep the "crash" from coming on so hard.