View Full Version : Thoughts about trying different meds...

LadyUK
07-21-08, 03:29 PM
I have been diagnosed with adult ADHD for about five years now, and have always been on Concerta - have never tried any other medications.

While the Concerta does help - greatly improves my mood, procrastination, and helps with paying attention, I often wonder if things could be better. There are numerous issues that it does not help with - including excessive spending.

I currently take 18mg a day - tried the 36, and while it did wonders for my symptoms, the side effects were severe, as well as some anxiety.

I have a tendancy for depression as well.

I have recently thought about consulting with my doctor and giving some of the other medications on offer a trial and seeing if they make any difference or improvement.

I would really appreciate everyone's thoughts and opinions on this subject, and if you have any experience with this, it would be a great benefit to hear your stories.

Many thanks in advance.

columbo
07-22-08, 11:55 AM
Hi there

I was on Concerta for about two years and my experience was similar to yours. At higher doses, I felt really alert but very anxious. I had mood swings which sometimes got really severe. 18mg was the only dose that didn't have too many side effects.

I also, like you had a tendency to depression.

I then tried Strattera but my GP stopped it because of some liver test results that showed potential for liver damage (liver failure is a known risk with Strattera but only happens in about 1 in 50,000 cases. I was either very unlucky or I may have had a pre-existing condition).

Strattera may be worth a try as it is good for comorbid anxiety with ADHD. It takes a while to get working though.

I am now on Dexedrine, otherwise known as Dexamphetamine, which is much better. I have a lot more energy and my mood is a million times better. I have major problems with my sleep pattern, but that is the only downside. I am on 60mg a day which is probably a high dose.

Other things worth thinking about are Zyban (Bupropion, also known as Wellbutrin) which is an antidepressant that works like a stimulant often given to smokers to help them quit, Reboxetine which is an antidepressant but similar to Strattera, and Modafinil, which is a different type of stimulant. Some people say it works on their ADHD better than Strattera does, but it isn't officially licensed for ADHD.

It depends on how flexible your Doctor is. Many don't appreciate the different effect these medications can have. Many are also very wary of prescribing Dexedrine because of its association with drug abuse. None of these medications are licensed for Adults in the UK, which doesn't stop doctors from prescribing it, but it means GPs carry more responsibility when they do.

I've posted before on medications available in the UK. Have a look in the UK section for it.

Hope this helps.

Columbo

jimfun
12-11-12, 03:22 AM
I was being treated for A.D.D. for years. I only got "partially" well. I went to the best Pdoc in Beverly Hills for more answers. After a few trials of drugs in "other catagories", it finally came together for me with the meds. One of the meds is called the Emsam Patch which you can look up on line. It actually is one of the current MAO inhibitors in a daily patch form to help avoid certain food restrictions with the pill form. Problem is: very expensive but is the only anti-depressant that has helped me everyday with no side effects and completely stopped my depressive episodes. Problem is you can't take stimulants with it but a non-stimulant drug for A.D.D. is coming out in generic form soon.