View Full Version : sleep charts

reesah
07-23-08, 09:45 AM
I just started using the sleepchart. I've had insomnia my whole life, as long as I can remember. I always just assume it's because I'm a "night person" or something but lately I began to wonder what it really is- I mean, I don't always stay up all night/sleep all day. Sometimes I wake up incredibly early and then go to bed in the early afternoon.

It's like I sleep later all the time, it changes what time of day I am tired or awake, it changes every few weeks.

My work schedule is one that I set and I've been having trouble sticking to it- I thought setting up my work hours to be late afternoon/early evening would be perfect but I find myself sleeping later and later, and then barely making it to work! And I work at 5 pm!

I figure if I use this chart program for the next few weeks/months maybe I can findn out at least what is going on with my sleeping pattern. I've never journaled or kept track of my sleep before.

http://www.supermemo.com/articles/sleepchart.htm

if anyone else wants to try using this feel free to post in the thread- I'll post my results weekly if I can remember. The program lets you fill in the chunks when you slept and then creates a chart showing your cicadian rhythm and sleep phases.

Five
07-23-08, 01:50 PM
Reesah,

It's like I sleep later all the time, it changes what time of day I am tired or awake, it changes every few weeks.

This just came to my mind when I read the sentence above. It is possible you have a Circadian Rhythm Disorder?

Here is the definition from WebMD:

"Circadian rhythm disorders are disruptions in a person's circadian rhythm -- a name given to the "internal body clock" that regulates the (approximately) 24-hour cycle of biological processes in animals and plants."

reesah
07-24-08, 01:39 AM
What I read that struck home the most was "delayed sleep phase" but mine seems a lot more extreme than the cases they describe. It almost is double the day length by their math.

I think I'll know after the chart is going for a while, I hope. I just get so tired all day too, then at bedtime I can't sleep at all...