View Full Version : View From the Cliff by Lynn Weiss

Tara
08-05-02, 04:35 PM
Wow! This is a great book. It addresses almost every ADD challenge and gives great suggestions on how to overcome those challenges. The book is set up for a person with ADD to easily read it too.(2001)

US
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0878332537/ref%3Dnosim/addforums-20/

Canada
http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/0878332537/ref%3Dnosim/addforums08-20

UK
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0878332537/ref%3Dnosim/livingwithadd-21

David
08-06-02, 07:28 PM
Wow, will have to check it out. Lynn Weiss was actually my doc a number of years back. She was really good.

David

Tara
03-07-03, 04:27 PM
I think her books are great I really like her views on ADD.

Slowpoke
03-31-03, 04:57 AM
I just bought this one from Amazon.ca...

It is A LOT simpler than I thought it was.. more like a really really quick solutions kind of handbook...

What I liked about it:
-the layout is great!
*small chunks of info, short paragraphs... it's a LOT easier for my brain to process it because it serves as a visual cue "OK there is a change in topic here"
*bullets and bold type: again, visual cues

-organization of information
*the main parts: 1)Organizing in New Ways~ has different things ADDers have difficulties with: clutter, stacks and piles, finances, paper, writing reports, getting places on time...
2)Following Through to Success~ is more of a tips for success section, behaviourally based eg: decision making for purchases, following through with things, keeping your mind from drifting
3) Behaving Yourself~behavioural aspect of ADD and how to help curb the negative impacts
4)Using and Protecting Your Sensitivity ~ the issue of how perceptive and sensitive we are
5)Succeeding at Work ~ nuff said
6)Epilogue

Each section has topics, and each topic is discussed in the same consistent manner: blurb,"Why This Happens",What not to do", "What to do", "What makes this hard to do"

-I really like the approach of the author... she treats ADD as not a DISABILITY, but simply as a different way the brain processes and a unique configuration ~this helped me realize that I have things I can be really happy about... and I have already changed my approach when I talk to people about having ADD (EG: all the ideas I have are great! or my energy is great too. my sensitivity is also really cool, it's like it makes life richer...)

What I didn't like:
-the what to do and what not to do... some of the things were really short, and I felt like I needed more guidance on how to do it... eg: about clearing clutter... "anaylyze why your space is the way it is and then decide what to do about it" (pg. 21) I have trouble trying to analyze, and I had no idea HOW to decide these things.
-really minor, but the what makes this hard to do might have been better before, leaving it at the end of the section made it rather pessimistic, since often the blurb didn't seem to contain enough encouragement... but just a realistic view... it made me feel lost "you will have to...." but no followup on how to keep my focus on that task! How to stay headstrong...

I bought this as part of the deal with "ADD Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life", and I find that View From the Cliff is like a precursor to ADD Friendly Ways.

All in all, the book is a great "starting point" book, I'm sure I'll find it useful when I need the straight up, "HOW TO" and "WHY" answers when I'm in a jam.

But if you're looking for something more in depth, I'd recommend ADD Friendly Ways... book. The information is harder to find in that one though... this one is like a reference book.
I hope this helps!

Barbette
07-27-03, 11:01 PM
I agree with Slowpoke "what I didn't like" about this book. It is ADD friendly in lay out and I like Lynn Weiss's attitude about ADD. Unfortunalty I didn't find it very helpful.