View Full Version : Got Linux?

Louder Than Love
07-25-08, 02:32 AM
Okay, here's the dealio.

IM fed up with Microsoft and thier BS , service pack disasters, crashes, incorrect TCP/IP , mapping, and topography, porting, hardware issues...

I want to try Linux, finally.

But i dont really know which one suits me.
stats as of today.
Compaq Presario ( Bastian-ized)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX28 PCI Express 2.0, 1GB
6 GB's DDR2 Ram
3.20 Dual Core Intel

I do A TON of desktop publishing, printing, graphics, web design.

So?

Fedora 9, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, or Mandriva.

lostranslation
07-25-08, 02:37 AM
I have Ubuntu (duel boot with windows) on my laptop and my desktop. I'm pretty happy with the desktop- only issue is that I can't get both my monitors to cooperate with it. The laptop's wifi card isn't compatable, or at least I haven't figured out how to get it to work.
There is more than enough open source software to keep me busy with it for a long time.

Louder Than Love
07-25-08, 02:40 AM
I'll give it a whirl then. I WILL miss my "Royale Noir" theme though. lesigh.

lostranslation
07-25-08, 11:05 AM
There is another program called "Wubi" that simplifies the instalation.
Have fun!

marcykid
10-19-08, 03:31 AM
I use Ubuntu, it's probably the most user friendly distro around. Word of caution though, Linux is not like what you're used to. It's going to frustrate the hell out of you for a while before you figure it out. The power of Linux isn't found in it's GUI... it's found in its ability to solve complex computing problems really fast by allowing you to write simple scripts in the virtual terminal. It's a very light, nimble, and fast OS, but it's got a steep learning curve. Anyway, welcome to the light side of the force young padawan. With training and discipline you will soon be slicing your way through the empire's fleet of battle-droids. ;) Good luck.

Punch
10-19-08, 08:17 AM
I use Suse because before ubuntu it was the most used distro and looks really pretty lol
http://software.opensuse.org/

SB_UK
10-19-08, 08:42 AM
ubuntu also

see you on their Jelsoft forum some time
:-)

http://ubuntuforums.org/

- they're jolly nice chappies.

"gira ubuntu" meaning to "have consideration and be humane"---ps---
I don't know if you :-) like music but like amarok (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AmaroK) totally rocks man !

I fell in love with it when it ask me whether I'd like to use an internal SQLite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQLite) database, or external MySQL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MySQL) or PostgreSQL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PostgreSQL) database to store my collection.
My point isn't that I want to use a database to store the information -
it's that free software sources and open architectures allow for simple interfacing -

meaning that one doesn't have to 're-invent the wheel' each time one writes an application.

A database should handle data and a music player play music -
fluffy warm feelings coming at us from the open source movement.

MaNaeSWolf
10-27-08, 02:29 AM
always wanted to move to linux. never had the time to get started on it.
I know its gonna take some time.

I also dont know a single person with it. Will all my CAD software work on it? does all software work on it? I really dont know,rather clueless about it.

Mano
10-27-08, 01:23 PM
For graphics / web design , etc - I would choose Ubuntustudio.

http://ubuntustudio.org/

aidy
10-27-08, 01:43 PM
windows CAD software probably won't work... if you do CAD software it's probably best you stay on windows, unless you want to run it in a virtual machine :)

ADHDNEWB
10-27-08, 01:57 PM
SUSE FTW!

rm -rf winblows

:cool:

DesertDave
10-27-08, 05:54 PM
I, too, am fed up with Micro$oft. I have been for years.

A few months ago, I'd read that Linux had "finally gone mainstream" and that finally made it accessible. Or something like that. So I browsed around for "easiest to load" kinds of things.

I installed some flavor of Ubuntu. It installed flawlessly with little interaction. There were no prompts that made me say "huh?".

It was cool that it came with some apps so I could play with it. It was cool that I could use my [windoze] networked printers. It was cool that I could surf the internet.

There were times when something didn't work but after tinkering around, I'd finally make it go.

Then I tried loading the Linux version of some messaging app. Maybe AIM. I don't recall. It had some help forum offered, so I thought it would be easy. No. When it wouldn't run, I went to the forum. It was all people accustomed to talking to people with a good deal of experience. I posed my question and only got questions back. And the questions were beyond my scope (i.e., "what is your _____ set to?").

So I searched the web for help or getting-started kind of stuff. I gave up.

I guess my question is: where does one start with Linux? I like knowing how things work and am certainly not afraid of "getting my hands dirty". Computers have been a part of my life since the punch-card days! But I don't have rooms full of techs around me any more to get me started.

Thanks

WarPhalange
10-27-08, 05:57 PM
I have Ubuntu on my desktop and laptop. I use Fedora on the school computers, though.

Both are really easy, although I'd go with Ubuntu. It's as close to efficient and free Windows as you can get.

There are more efficient and light-weight distributions out there, but they have a steeper learning curve. If you just want something that simulates Windows but better, go with Ubuntu.

Beware! There is still a learning curve! Just stick to it and you'll love it in no time.

ADHDNEWB
10-27-08, 06:01 PM
Then I tried loading the Linux version of some messaging app. Maybe AIM

GAIM

I guess my question is: where does one start with Linux? I like knowing how things work and am certainly not afraid of "getting my hands dirty". Computers have been a part of my life since the punch-card days! But I don't have rooms full of techs around me any more to get me started.

I never went to school for this stuff. I just learned it on my own. I'm a hands on type of person. Just install it on a box of yours and play around with it. Join some Linux forums as well.

DesertDave
10-27-08, 06:13 PM
Oh yeah, it was GAIM now that you mention it.

How did you know I had an idle box sitting around? Oh yeah I have everything sitting around because I don't get rid of things. LOL

So what's a good forum for newbies? (are Linux newbies called Lewbies?)

lostranslation
10-27-08, 10:59 PM
(are Linux newbies called Lewbies?)

Not a bad idea.

As far as forums for newbies, I haven't found much, but the ubuntu forums seems like a friendly place. I've never posed a question there though.

I've been able to run some windows applications in ubuntu using wine, but ymmv.

Oooh- something shiny- ubuntu 8.10 will be available in three days!

SB_UK
10-28-08, 10:17 AM
...Ubuntu

3 x 3 x 3 x 3 / 10 available in three days

(3)^4 / 10 +3 days

( (3) -> (4) -> (13) )n

:- )

- around about the cheapest computer money can buy triple booting 'the big three' -

Triple Boot How To (OS X, XP, ubuntu) (http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3977#p26562)

mijahe
10-28-08, 10:56 AM
IM fed up with Microsoft and thier BS , service pack disasters, crashes, incorrect TCP/IP , mapping, and topography, porting, hardware issues...

I know your pain.

I want to try Linux, finally.

Woohoo!

But i dont really know which one suits me.

There's really two main flavours of ditribution out there.
1. DEB based - Debian, Ubuntu, etc, etc.
2. RPM based - Red Hat, Suse, etc, etc.

There are others around, lots more. But if you're a beginner, stick with the mainstream distributions. I've been a Debian user for many years, and prefer it over everything else. So I would suggest using eitehr Ubuntu or Debian itself, (Ubuntu is based on Debian you see.)

Compaq Presario ( Bastian-ized)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX28 PCI Express 2.0, 1GB
6 GB's DDR2 Ram
3.20 Dual Core Intel

If you have 6G RAM, then what I'd do is go fetch a copy of VMplayer (http://www.vmware.com/products/player/) for Windows and install your Linux O/S of choice (http://www.vmware.com/appliances/) in that.

Once your mind is made up on which distribution you really like, then switch to it as a base bootable O/S.

lostranslation
10-28-08, 12:14 PM
Another way to install ubuntu is to use Wubi. You can find it here:

http://wubi-installer.org/

With Wubi, you can install/uninstall under Windows. When you reboot your PC, you will have a choice between Windows and ubuntu. That way, if you end up not liking ubuntu, you can simply uninstall it.

aidy
10-28-08, 12:14 PM
Oh yeah, it was GAIM now that you mention it.
it's called pidgin now, and I can't believe you had problems setting it up, desertdave... all you're supposed to do is open up the software install program, search for pidgin and install it :)

i don't think your distro of choice matters much, as long as it's a modern one. So ubuntu and fedora are fine, but I would go with ubuntu if I were someone new to linux

ADHDNEWB
10-28-08, 12:17 PM
Yea Pidgin is good. Much better chat client then Trillian. Most of the time, it should have already been installed if you did a full install.

DesertDave
10-28-08, 02:00 PM
it's called pidgin now, and I can't believe you had problems setting it up
You're right - it was pidgin after all. I ended up putting it on one of my Windoze machines because it talked to various messaging platforms.

I would go with ubuntu if I were someone new to linux

All right I may give it another shot. I just need to get my feet wet with it, then I'm off and running. At least that's how I was with everything else.

Any suggestions on forums for absolute newbies? Or a book?

I did lots of Unix stuff in decades past. So that doesn't scare me but it's not all at my fingertips by now.

I totally like that I can get a console window. Having grown up with command-line interfaces, I still rely on them even in Windoze. Some things are just easier that way. Windowed environments are cute and flashy and all that, no argument. And I'm no longer "the guy who has a computer at home".
- - - - - - - - - - - -
wow I went back and fixed my typos!

aidy
10-28-08, 02:23 PM
i wouldn't get a book or anything... but if you want a book, get one on pure linux, meaning the internals and file system organisation and all that
if you get something on desktop environments it's bound to get outdated quickly

just install it again and post here if you run into problems :) (or message me)
the ubuntu forums have a _lot_ of newbies that answer questions, without actually knowing much... sounds pretentious i know, but that's just my experience :o

ADHDNEWB
10-28-08, 02:25 PM
I'd go here:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/

Most other Linux forums are dedicated to creating Kernels and solving problems with servers. Those members can also be pretty harsh on the newbs. After you get use to Ubuntu, I'd try out Gentoo or Knoppix. What kind of HD's do you have in your system? Using any controllers?

aidy
10-28-08, 02:38 PM
oh yah
if you want to learn a lot (and waste a lot of time :))
try out gentoo, and do a manual install (not with the installer)

i don't currently use it, but i consider gentoo my 'home', somehow i always go back to it after a while

mijahe
10-28-08, 05:54 PM
You're right - it was pidgin after all. I ended up putting it on one of my Windoze machines because it talked to various messaging platforms.

But still, alas, lacks a decent working Office Communicator plugin.

All right I may give it another shot. I just need to get my feet wet with it, then I'm off and running. At least that's how I was with everything else.

Any suggestions on forums for absolute newbies? Or a book?

Yes. Don't. :) It's far better to rely on google these days, (for tech support anyway).... and also the ADDF tech support line. :D

As for issues or concerns that may crop up when installing Linux the big ones are:
1. Partitioning - All the way from "What's the right size?" to "Help! I've barfed my MBR!"
2. Drivers - You can have issues with, (in order of importance), your video card, network card, and sound device. USB & PS/2 are all OK these days.

slanted_mind
10-29-08, 11:45 PM
get a rpm based linux like redhat. I have that too. use KDE One great KDE application is BasKet. you will like it.