View Full Version : Teenager looking for good PDA!

ADD Actor
07-31-08, 06:15 PM
Hi everyone, I'm so glad I found this place. But I need some help.

I have AD(H)D - Inattentive type and one of my biggest problems is procrastination and time management. Multiple books and websites I have read state that an electronic organizer such as a pda can help. Could someone point me in the right direction for picking out one?

This is what I'm looking for:
- A focus on hourly and daily planning.
- A noise that reminds you of things you need to do.
- Inexpensive
- Optional: Keyboard
- I'm in High School, and having something like a Palm Pilot will put me through some teasing, so i'd like if it was also a phone but I'm willing to compromise.

If it's a phone it must be on Verizon.

DTownDave22
10-19-08, 10:13 PM
In H.S., a friend of mine had a PDA device. Try not to worry about people that "tease" you for having a device to help you manage your life. Those that actually care about you should understand. Usually, it is the shallow, insecure people that make fun of others and/or want acceptance. I can attest to the wanting acceptance part, because in wanting acceptance as a kid and pre-teen, I would resort to poking fun of people within class (just a bit, when younger) and of other people (not in school but people on T.V. and such) in middle school.

I wouldn't necessarily worry about having a phone, either--those run a little higher because you need to pay for a plan, from the brief browsing I've done, but I'd suggest looking around these forums. I was thinking of starting a discussion like you did (but no responses prior to mine and it's been a while--in this one so maybe it's not worth it--it doesn't help that this section is hidden from the main forum page).

I'd also look into getting something used. As far as the options are concerned, try this:

1.) Do a little research first on store websites (besbuy.com and others).
2.) Tell a store rep. what you want.
3.) Mark down those items in a small notepad (perhaps even on computer paper or an Excel sheet you print out (and put it on a notebook to give it support to write on). You would use this Excel sheet to put in items and have the device in the "X" axis and different features in the "Y" axis. Mark down which items have the features you are looking for by a checkbox or a few quick notes in the boxes.
4.) See if you can get any of those devices used online via ebay.com or craigslist.com
5.) Voila! Either used or new, you should be able to find yourself that satisfies your needs.

And this post had a mutual benefit. I now know how to go about this. I guess this is perhaps my ADD and liking to help people (not to toot my own horn..but just sayin'...). When I have motivation to do something, I can come up with an idea or do something quite seamlessly (I'm very partial to that word). :cool:

wifeandmom
10-21-08, 11:48 PM
I would suggest something with Windows Mobile OS and memory upgrade (SD card). My family is on T-Mobile and we have Dash PDAs. They have Outlook that you can sync to your PC, a good calendar, Word and Excel (for storing and viewing files; haven't tried to actually modify a file), and the usual stuff that phones have these days. In our area, the only Verizon PDA with a QWERTY keyboard AND Windows Mobile OS is the Palm Treo. CNET.com is a good source for phone and PDA reviews. Make sure you can actually use it at school, though. In our district, there's a zero tolerance policy for cell phones unless you get the OK from the Assistant Principal or Principal.

amazingplace
10-25-08, 09:24 PM
How about an IPod Touch. Has most of the features of the iPhone without the monthly charge or camera.

you can sync any calendar that is in the iCal format - like Google Calendar, you can set reminders, it has an alarm, timer, stop watch, and that is just what is built in. If you go to the App Store in iTunes and type in 'GTD' (Getting Things Done), there are over a dozen other applications that can help keep track of life.

Good Luck :)

DaleDoss
12-11-08, 03:43 PM
I guess you can call me "old skool" but I use a mini notebook with an alarm watch attached to it.
Works for me.

apinkpony
12-19-08, 05:35 AM
I use an iPod touch... the calendar which has alerts, the ToodleDo application (or whatever to do list app you want) and the gradetracker app... among others. It's really the most ideal, plus you definitely wont have to worry about getting teased... (although that is silly).

wsmac
01-05-09, 05:15 AM
Not sure if anyone is looking at this anymore, but I also have an iPod Touch and find it works better for me than anything else I have ever tried.

I saved a bit of money by buying it as a refurb straight from Apple.
I got the 8Gb and it's plenty for me.

Now that I have my music and my notes and my calendar with me in one small package, I have been doing better with my time/life management, although I still forget things every once-in-a-while.

PIMPALERO2003
01-05-09, 02:01 PM
whatever u do do not got with the moto q nice phone but so man damn problems with them.
i get my treo 800w 2maro sprint but also not cheap 600 bucks.
id honestly say go on ebay andlook can get them pretty cheap

JH376
02-08-09, 12:20 PM
I just bought an ipod touch but haven't taken it out of the box yet. I want it to remind me in advance of meetings I have scheduled throughout the day, and so I want it to send me those reminders from my outlook calendar. I know the touch can do this but what I also want, need, it to do is vibrate, rather than beep. The reminder is for me, and not for everyone in the room. The iphone vibrates; the itouch does not.

Has anybody found a workaround for this? The one thing I have come up with is a piece of software called "reminder forwarding" that will send my outlook reminders to my cell phone, which I can set to vibrate. If this turns out to really be all I need, I'm going to take the ipod back to the store. As cool as it is, I'm not sure how much more productive it would make me. In fact, it's such a cool device, I'm a bit worried it could become something that will make me much less productive (too fun, too distracting).

Kelc
02-08-09, 03:15 PM
I know what you are going through I have a watchminder which is a really big chunky watch that reminds me of things but I am embarrassed to wear it.

Hover
02-08-09, 11:58 PM
I'm getting a Treo 700p which should get here by the end of the week. I'm getting it specifically to replace my palm and phone, I have been up to this point been using a Palm Tungsten T3, which was the last Tungsten to have vibrating alerts and a voice memo function.

If you can get a phone allowed, you could use either the 700p OR the 700w. p for Palm OS and w for Windows Mobile. I think my T3 is wonderful, and only replacing it do to the fact that I almost always forget my phone.

The T3 has the same screen size as the Tungsten T5 and Palm TX, except it has a slider that allows it to expand to its full size if you want it to.

I can't use anything with Windows Mobile, due to the lack of any support for anything other than Windows (I use Mac OS). but there are a couple places where you can compare the two types. heh, you can get a nice comparison just by comparing between the 700p and 700w.

samtux
02-17-09, 04:54 PM
What about a blackberry they are not as un cool as a palm. not sure what network you can get them on in the us. i love mine my calendar syncs with google has a task list and notes so i can take everything i want with me and the email on the go means i can keep on top of my emails and not have a huge ammount whan i get home.