View Full Version : Hmmm....Could Tourette's Apply To Me Too?

mADD mike
08-02-08, 04:33 PM
Hello,

I just found out within the last month or so that I have ADD. Definitely not ADHD, there is no H in my whatsoever. Anyway, I don't have the money or health insurance to go to doctors and therapists to diagnose everything that is an issue in my life, but I'm finding out some pretty interesting things on my own. I never would have thought in a million years that I had ADD, until I learned what it actually is, not what the media portrayal is. Frankly, I've always wondered about the possibility of Tourettes with me, so I guess this might be a good place to start.

I looked at the diagnostic criteria listed at the top of this forum and a lot did apply to me. Here are some of my issues, please tell me what you think.

Myself, and both of my brothers, have had many tics throughout the years. I'm 30 now and I still have problems where I will tic. My tics are as follows, and you can pretty much throw my brothers in the mix as well:

Habitual clearing of the throat
Odd blinking patters, I often wink my right eye only, and it has been really bad since getting my newest pair of glasses just over a week ago, though that isn't when it started
I shake my head up and down, and left to right, uncontrollably at times. It isn't a constant shaking, and I always thought it was because my neck felt tight, to relieve muscle fatigue. However, it will just hit me at times and I'll do it with really quick, slight shakes, usually first up and down, then side to side, then whatever it feels like doing
When I was younger, I would make an odd grunting sound that I could almost feel in my throat/vocal cords
Again when younger, but every once in a long while today, I will touch something with one hand and then with the other to even it out. Or, I will touch something one time and have to do it four times, or whatever the number of the week would be.
All of these tics get MUCH worse if I haven't had enough sleep or if I'm under a lot of stress. I know that cussing doesn't have to be a symptom, and I don't just blurt them out randomly in public or yell them or anything like the media portrays. However, out in public I don't cuss at all, but in a comfortable setting like in the car driving or at home, I can cuss like a sailor and not even know I'm doing it. It is like I try so hard not to cuss outside the home in public, but when I let my guard down it comes out. My wife has noticed that sometimes I don't even realize that I have dropped an F bomb, and many times I don't when at home. I don't really want to cuss, it just comes out sometimes. It gets worse if I am frustrated, then it seems to really come out, even if I don't want it to.

So, what do you think? I think it sounds like Tourettes could be a very good possibility, but I'd love to find out what you guys and gals think. Some of these things drive me crazy, and I've been so self-conscious about many of them over the years, but been unable to really control them as I would like. It is at times like there is a pressure within me to do one of these tics, and the longer I ignore it, the harsher it comes out.

Any input is very much appreciated. :)

Sickle
08-02-08, 04:49 PM
I would ask your doctor. I can't relate to Tourette's personally and there is a guideline against offering any type of medical advice.

I understand that you may find these issues disturbing, and I hope that you can find answers to your questions by relating to other's struggles here but I would definitely say in my opinion and I hope the admin's, since they made the guidelines that you should definitely bring these concerns up with the doctor.

Thanks.

mADD mike
08-02-08, 05:16 PM
I would ask your doctor. I can't relate to Tourette's personally and there is a guideline against offering any type of medical advice.

I understand that you may find these issues disturbing, and I hope that you can find answers to your questions by relating to other's struggles here but I would definitely say in my opinion and I hope the admin's, since they made the guidelines that you should definitely bring these concerns up with the doctor.

Thanks.

I'm not asking for a concrete diagnosis from the board, just some thoughts on whether or not this sounds like Tourettes from people that have experience with it. People tell other people that they definitely sound like they have ADD on the ADD boards all the time. I'm just looking from some confirmation from others that may have similar symptoms. If others have experienced similar things, or if maybe I said something that touched your own experience, let me know.

Also, as I stated, I don't have a doctor, or insurance, neither can I afford them.

Edit to add: For boards that take a stand against offering medical advice, there sure is a lot of medical advice on here. People give advice regarding medicines, dosages, therapies, treatments, etc. of a wide variety of disorders and subjects. Surely you realize that I didn't come here thinking that a doctor himself was going to diagnose me. I just want to know that I'm not alone and that others might face the same things, much like people do on the ADD boards. I thought too that there might be some that have been to doctors that could let me know if they thought this sounded like Tourettes, not that it is definitely so.

Sickle
08-02-08, 05:36 PM
I'm not asking for a concrete diagnosis from the board, just some thoughts on whether or not this sounds like Tourettes from people that have experience with it. People tell other people that they definitely sound like they have ADD on the ADD boards all the time.

Yes, and from what I have seen, people have also recommended that they see a doctor. I am not the enemy sir, I am relatively new here and don't know the comfort level yet so when I read in the guidelines, yeah I have another quote:

Legal/Medical Disclaimer
The advice offered in the ADD Forums, is for informational and support purposes only. This advice is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read in this forum, or on any related web site! Advice given on this forum is the opinion of the individual posting it, and not necessarily the opinion of ADD Forums.

Pretty clear to me, I guess???

I'm just looking from some confirmation from others that may have similar symptoms. If others have experienced similar things, or if maybe I said something that touched your own experience, let me know.

Because I want to help you with this, in case you don't get any answers to this post I want to let you know that I have noticed that if I scroll down to the bottom of this post there's a related posts feature that shows four or five so you can hopefully get some answers for the issues you have.

Also, as I stated, I don't have a doctor, or insurance, neither can I afford them.

Have you looked into free drop in clinics in your area?? I am sure they are there because they are everywhere and if there is one thing this board promotes it is seeking medical attention for issues you need.

Edit to add: For boards that take a stand against offering medical advice, there sure is a lot of medical advice on here. People give advice regarding medicines, dosages, therapies, treatments, etc. of a wide variety of disorders and subjects. Surely you realize that I didn't come here thinking that a doctor himself was going to diagnose me. I just want to know that I'm not alone and that others might face the same things, much like people do on the ADD boards. I thought too that there might be some that have been to doctors that could let me know if they thought this sounded like Tourettes, not that it is definitely so.

Please mike, take into consideration that I am a newbie here as far as posting and participating goes and I was trying to communicate what I perceived were relayed in the guidelines. I notice people offering what they have experienced personally and I am sorry that I both didn't notice the fact that you mentioned not having a doctor or insurance, which brings me to my next point, is there a way you can get enrolled in a medicaid type thing???

I understand where I may have come across the wrong way but I am trying to help somehow. The fact that I never noticed posts in the Tourette's forum before and there were no replies prompted me to reply out of respect and I am sorry if I am in the wrong in any way because again, my intent was to help.

speedo
08-02-08, 06:12 PM
If you think you have tourette's syndrome, perhaps you should talk to a neurologist about it. A google search will turn up The DSM-IV requirements for the diagnosis of TS.

ME :D

mADD mike
08-02-08, 06:35 PM
Thanks for trying to help, both Sickle and Speedo. I know you were just trying to help and you are a newbie (Sickle). I am too for that matter. I never come to this board usually, but someone on the ADD forums mentioned that a lot of people with Tourettes have ADD as well. I know that I have ADD, but have always wondered about Tourettes. So, I thought I'd come here for some advice from those that have it.

I can't go to a free clinic or neurologist. I cannot afford it. I am self-employed and make too much money to qualify for any aid. That doesn't mean that I'm rich by any means, particularly after paying for all of the expense of running one's own business. So, thanks for the suggestions, but those just aren't options, and I've lived this way all my life, so I guess I might as well just continue to do so. I was just curious as to whether or not Tourettes might explain some of the odd tics I've had throughout the years and continue to have.

Thanks again!

TTdrummer
09-16-08, 03:25 AM
Yes, it sounds like you have very mild Tourettes coexisting with ADD. This is common. I have a good friend with symptoms just like yours (clearing throat and blinking). If it's interfering with your life then see a doctor. There are some mild drugs that can help. But if it's not interfering with your life, it's just a nuisance, then be happy that's all it is and live on my friend.

You might get further with some cognitive therapy to deal with your anxiety and self-consciousness about them. Talk to your wife to get a real appraisal on how noticable your tics are. If they are noticable then her friends will have asked her about it. If her friends haven't asked then no-one has noticed. Odds are that they're not really a big deal to most people. People see a tic, they wonder, and then they get to know you and they move on. It's not such a big deal.

I really don't think that your dropping the F bomb from time to time and not noticing has anything to do with Tourettes. I think if you had coprolalia you'd know it. Again some cognitive therapy might help with anger/impulse control issues. Like you've noticed yourself, cursing is a social behavior. If you don't have an impulse disorder then you can curtail your cursing based on your social situation. So if you feel like you're cursing too much around loved ones then what you need to focus on is creating a awareness in your mind of that situation and training your mind to treat it as a social situation where cursing is not acceptable by context.

Sounds like you might be under some pressure? I was a small business owner too (sold mine recently :cool: ) and know it can be a burden. I highly recommend cognitive therapy. If you can't afford to see someone then get some books on the subject. I think you could probably get some benefit from the exercises and insights even if you self-teach. As a place to start, here is a list of books by one of the experts: http://www.cognitivetherapynyc.com/default.asp?sid=550.

All this said, there isn't really a way to say "yes you have Tourette's". It's a diagnosis. They say, "Yes you have Tourette's" if you have 3 out of 4 of the symptoms listed in the DSM. But the DSM keeps changing. So it may make you feel more comfortable to put a label on it (or may make you feel more comfortable to not put a label on it) but the reality is that what you *have* are merely the symptoms you describe. The question to ask is whether they interfere with your life and if so what actions are you comfortable with pursuing.

mADD mike
09-21-08, 09:56 PM
Thanks TT!

That was a very insightful post. I am thankful that I only have the tics that I do. I realize that it could be a lot worse. At one point, I was under tremendous pressure, running my businesses and some side jobs, but I'm scaling back, and trying to make my life more liveable.

I really appreciate your words. You've given me some things to consider.

Mike

browneyes_326
10-04-08, 06:19 AM
Hey there Mike :)
Just trolling around the site and ran into you here.

So, interestingly, this matter is dear to my heart (doesn't mean I can teach you much!) a very, very dear friend of mine had a moderate to severe case of Tourette's ... interestingly my friend was also most definitely ADD ... and, by the way, quite an amazing person (side note, as I think many of us are :) )

so here's what I can attest to:

Ticks are much, much more common than any 'verbal' forms of tourette's.
The media has a field day with the screaming of inappropriate words ... so much more dramatic ... haha.
Your ticks do sound like a mild form of it ... the 'uncontrollable' aspect and feeling of 'needing' to do it are pretty tell tale signs.

Oddly enough it's very common to have a mild form of OCD w/ tourette's ... which my friend had as well. The touching thing you mentioned is right down that alley.

Very interesting Mike ;) I'll tell you this, he lived a wonderful life with his little issues ... one of the most amazing people to ever enter my life. So I say, if that issue doesn't hinder your life you'll be alright! If it does there are things to help ...

So there's my two cents ... Keep us updated!

mADD mike
10-06-08, 09:27 AM
Thanks a lot for the response browneyes!

Getting a response down here is hard, there must just not be much traffic down here.

It was good to hear your experiences and opinions, just to confirm what I already thought if nothing else. The good thing about my tics, like you mentioned, is that they don't hinder my life. Many people never notice them. They come and go at times, and being tired makes them really bad, but nobody other than my wife really sees me that tired, as I don't go out and do a lot with others.

Thanks for your 2 cents, it means a lot more than that to me. Nobody likes to feel kind of alone on subjects like these.

Mike

browneyes_326
10-16-08, 01:28 PM
Hey Mike just thought I'd check in on ya down here! ... Funny it is kind of outa the way :) ... anyway I was thinking about my friend today and it reminded me to travel down to this thread ... glad what I said is (even a tiny bit) helpful.

Any new findings? Any updates?

mADD mike
10-17-08, 09:17 AM
Hey Mike just thought I'd check in on ya down here! ... Funny it is kind of outa the way :) ... anyway I was thinking about my friend today and it reminded me to travel down to this thread ... glad what I said is (even a tiny bit) helpful.

Any new findings? Any updates?

Nope, nothing new here. I'm just going to let it ride and see what happens. The tics seem to go in waves at times, and right now they haven't been driving me as crazy. It doesn't really interfere with anything, and most people don't seem to notice them unless I'm having a particularly bad day. My wife rarely notices them, but it may just be that she has seen them so much that they don't really stand out anymore to her.

Just hearing from others, like yourself, on the subject was all I needed. I just wanted a little validation, to know that others think it could be the case. I don't have health insurance, so I can't afford to go get tests to find out what it is, and wouldn't pay for it unless it really impacted my life, which it doesn't for the most part. I think it bothers me more than other people, but I've always bothered myself more than other people are bothered by me anyway, lol.

See ya up on the other forums!

Mike

Asylum
12-30-08, 02:16 AM
I just read the (description) of tourettes. Can't believe i knew so little about it. I had the perception that it was all about the innappropriate blurting of words. (I'm so frickin' sick of the media presenting distorted images of so many issues. . but anyway!)

I can relate a lot to what you're saying mike. Not the (vocal) throat clearing but the (motor) other stuff. Its not uncontrollable because i don't do it out in public, but when i'm by myself its a real compulsion that i find very hard not to do, so does this mean it woudn't be tourettes? I've been in tears too many times because i can't seem to help doing them. I've found it almost impossible to banish a habit, its takes a long, long, (did i say long?) time to do so and whenever i get even close to getting rid of one up pops another.
My most recent is head shaking, and like you mentioned in another post i've also hurt my head doing it! Don't do it out in public but find it hard not to do at home when i think about it, which is quite often during the day and night when i'm trying to sleep.

So i don't know if its (mild) tourettes or a tic or a habit or ocd. My mum has ocd and i'm terrified of developing anything even remotely similar. I can remember developing habits like these in primary school.

I can't believe i've found yet another 'dysfunction.' :( Why can't i wake up one day and discover i can play the bloody piano or something?????

Anyway i hope i haven't hijacked your thread or anything, i just thought you're problem sounded so similar that i would jump onto the go-cart!:o

QueensU_girl
01-15-09, 03:05 AM
I saw a show on TV a long while back about a Canadian surgeon named Mort Doran who could suppress his TS symptoms during surgery, but at no other time. Interesting.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/picrender.fcgi?artid=1335737&blobtype=pdf

girlwednesday
02-20-09, 04:50 PM
Hello, well, I can tell you this for sure. I was formally diagnosed with Tourettes syndrome 15 years ago// and it sucks..
Anyway, the ticks you describe are exactly mine.. not to say you have tourettes!
because tourettes has been depicted in media and movies in its more extreme form, i have been able to 'mask' my disorder by explaining away..my 'movements' i HATE the word ticks! they are my movements.. i will say, oh, my neck hurts and spasms from an old injury, or my eyes are sensitive to lights...etc..to get a proper diagnoses, you need a referral to a movement disorder clinic,, or a neuorologist who specializes in Tourettes specifically...i was misdiagnosed with Dystonia 20 odd years ago..and took some harsh meds that were for the wrong disorder..hope that helps..