View Full Version : Recurring Task Tracking and Statistics Software

math-minded
08-03-08, 03:51 PM
Hey all,

I have tried Chandler, Outlook, TaskCoach, Remember the Milk, ADD Planner, Sunbird/Thunderbird with Lightning (my current and favorite so far), etc, but none of them seem to have a fairly simple feature that would make a HUGE difference for me. Do any of you know of a program that keeps track of how reliably you are hitting deadlines?

Here's what I envision by way of example...

Suppose I have a task that I must complete every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. After entering the task into the program, it would then follow up with me after the event has passed (or beforehand with reminders, but there must be a final follow up, too) and ask whether or not I had completed the task on time. (Ideally, if I complete the task in advance, I would be able to let the system know this immediately.) As I complete tasks on time, the system would keep track of this, and provide statistics on how reliably I have been completing the task such as

percentage of the time it is completed before the deadline
whether I have completed the task on time more or less frequently this week/month/two month/six month/year period than I have previously.
how frequently I am completing the task in comparison to other tasks in the system

The list goes on with what it could provide for each individual task, but you get the idea. On the aggregate level, I would also love to see data on how frequently I am getting ALL tasks done this week/month/etc in comparison to last week/month/etc. It'd be fantastic to have visual representations of the data as well.

So has anyone heard of any software like this that's currently available or any open source projects that are developing something to the effect? If not, I'm probably going to begin work on an addon for Sunbird/Lightning that will provide as much of this functionality as possible, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks for any help you can provide!! :D

mykill
08-03-08, 04:35 PM
Something to do what you are saying would be great, i haven't seen anything out there that does it. I use a combination of Google Calendar (Linked to my Thunderbird/Lightning) and white boards/legal pads/post-its to keep track of what needs to be done by when, but nothing for statistics.

I have looked for software to better track things, but i get overwhelmed by all of the options, or i decide i really don't need another "thing" to keep up with. An add-on to Lightning sounds ideal, something linked to the calendar i already use, i run it all day anyway, sounds sweet.

math-minded
08-05-08, 12:57 AM
Something to do what you are saying would be great, i haven't seen anything out there that does it. I use a combination of Google Calendar (Linked to my Thunderbird/Lightning) and white boards/legal pads/post-its to keep track of what needs to be done by when, but nothing for statistics.

I have looked for software to better track things, but i get overwhelmed by all of the options, or i decide i really don't need another "thing" to keep up with. An add-on to Lightning sounds ideal, something linked to the calendar i already use, i run it all day anyway, sounds sweet.

Thanks for your response and support mykill! I have been mulling it over since I post this, and am going to go ahead and start developing an extension for Lightning/Sunbird this week. Given my schedule, it may take awhile to see any usable results, but I'll update here as things progress. If anyone wants to collaborate with me on this, either as another developer or just providing suggestions for particular features/statistics to provide/implementations, I'd love to hear from you! Please PM me, and I'll try to respond ASAP. I'll also get the project up onto mozdev as soon as a baseline, alpha development release is completed. Exciting! :D

slanted_mind
10-30-08, 12:51 AM
i think your idea is great. I think I can volunteer myself. I havn' any experience with sunbird so I'll try whatever I can. Anyway your Idea is great! I'd love to use such a tool.

One suggestion: including a reward (maybe like points or freedom to skip a job) would be great!

AnalogDog
11-03-08, 01:18 AM
I use the unlisted Palm Desktop and a Tungsten E2 PDA. I use firefox and Thunderbird, but Sunbird lets me down as I cannot sync to it.

My only beef with the system is that I don't have it on my Google Calendar, too. Man, it would be sweet if I could sync to Sunbird.

chowmix
11-03-08, 01:34 AM
I use ilikesandy.com. I can add events and todos, recurring events from two email addresses and get notification by text or email.

There is also a web based piece.

I find it much faster to send an email that says

Remind me to take out the garbage every tuesday a 6pm @weekly
remind me to call my sister in 2 hours
remind me to pick up toothpaste next friday at noon @todo

it recognizes stuff like
in five minutes
next saturday at noon
friday evening
in two weeks
in two hours
etc

you can also send

lookup sister

from email or text message and it will return all information about appointments and contact info to the device that requested it.

Much faster than yahoo, outlook or imac. I don't have to be on a computer to access it.