View Full Version : Weight loss from stimulants

timmtc
08-03-08, 10:30 PM
I've been on Adderall for about two months now. It's definitely had an impact on my appetite and what I eat. I was 215-220 lbs before I started my Adderall, and right now I am at 197lbs. I've been wanting to lose this weight for such a long time and it was primarily due to my impulsive eating and just careless attitude about my health. I'm not really sure what my ideal weight should be, but as I am 6'2 and a half I know I should be around 180lbs.

My question is, now that I am able to control my eating habits and I can eat healthier foods, how can I adjust my diet to prevent muscle loss and encourage fat loss? I would absolutely hate to drop 20 pounds of muscle because my appetite has decreased a fair amount. I've been drinking 1-2 whey protein shakes a day, i've cut out soda, late night snacks (my vice!), and junk food. Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks!

BTCruiser
08-03-08, 10:47 PM
I'm certainly not an expert in nutrition, but have lost weight both on and off ADD meds (Strattera, no stims), and I have always found that I feel best and am clearer when I'm eating 'clean'. Natural, healthy foods - pretty much unprocessed stuff - and good fats (olive oil, avocado, etc) along with lots of water. I'm certainly trying to eat this way now (although I've just moved to Adderall and it's killed my appetite), but my impulse issues from the ADD definitely tie into my eating issues. Getting one under control makes it easier to get the other under control and vice-versa, but it's getting that 'under control' thing that's the hard part.

You can always try to go through a site like Sparkpeople or even go to Weight Watchers - both will give you an idea of calories needed to lose and maintain weight loss.

And exercise. I've lost about 40 lbs in the past year, and when I look at the last time that I lost that amount, and wonder why I don't look as good, it's definitely due to the lack of exercise this time around - I'm making an attempt to get started on exercise, though, even if it's just walking.

eleanorabernathy
08-05-08, 04:05 PM
I've been losing weight as a result of Adderall, also. Yay! But, I just haven't been eating breakfast or lunch, and will eat a small meal in the evening. For awhile, after I read one should eat protein and not cereal type stuff for breakfast, I'd have one slice of cheese. For about a week, I was drinking those Ensure shakes. Then I got microwave breakfast sausages, thinking that would be good for breakfast, then the very next day, there was a report on tv about avoiding processed meats, (they gave an example of eating one hot dog a day.) Yikes. Last week, I managed to hardboil some eggs over the weekend, so I had an egg every morning. I don't have time in the morning to eat at home, (i don't MAKE time, because I get up at the very last minute) so if I eat, it's at work. School's out, so I haven't had the cafeteria over the summer (which is probably a good thing! I don't think school meals are all that nutritious!) altho it will be starting up again soon.

Anyway, I should be exercising, that would help the weight come off quicker, but it's so darn hot (Texas) that it's difficult to get out and walk at lunch. I'm just a slug. :(

I pretty much know my goal weight, have a lifetime membership at Weight Watchers. Don't have to pay the weekly fee as long as I'm within two lbs. of my goal weight. Uh, yeah, like that's going to happen any time soon. :P Needless to say, I haven't gone in years. :(

Anyway, I've been trying to eat healthier. Was discussing meals with a German friend, and we were discussing the difference between German and American meals. She said they eat cold for breakfast, meat, bread, etc.; a hot meal at lunch; and a small cold dinner. My mom always said one should eat like a king at breakfast, a prince at lunch, and a pauper at dinner. Which totally doesn't work for me right now-- as I'm not hungry during the day, but get hungry at night. Maybe if I tried eating a larger breakfast every morning, I could train myself... [sigh]

This really didn't answer any questions, just chiming in...

MusikGeliebter
08-06-08, 08:51 AM
ealanor, take a look at this, it's completely changed my life by making breakfast a LOT easier for me! http://www.amazon.com/Oster-385182-4716-Egg-Cooker/dp/B00006IUUP

I pretty much have the same problem as you, I'm not hungry during the day so I try to get a lot of my needs met during breakfast. If you're worried about the fat you can just not eat the yolks, but I'm of the opinion that people should eat two eggs every morning, it's an excellent source of protein and other important nutrients like selenium. Also, oatmeal is great and definately a great source of the good complex carbs. It's not like the boxed breakfast cereals, those are no good and they have all the preservatives and additives that make packaged lunch meats unsafe. Oatmeal on the other hand is completely all natural.

I'm like you, I get up at the last minute so the easier you can make breakfast the more likely you will be to do it!

So, if you get this machine you can make yourself two boiled eggs in 5 minutes by just pouring water in, plopping the eggs in and punching the red button! It cooks them and shuts itself off when it's done. I've had it for about 8 months now and I'm still in awe of it, it just makes my mornings so much easier. I've trained myself to load this thing when I first drag myself out of bed in the morning. Sometimes I even forget to eat them but it's such a part of my routine that I make them no matter what now. Actually, sometimes my medicine kicks in before I've eaten and then I don't want to eat them, but the fact that they are already made and that I know I need to eat them usually makes me eat them. I can't stand wasting food!

As for oatmeal, put 2/3 cup dry oatmeal with 1 cup water in a bowl and microwave for 1.5-3 minutes.

d2k1
08-10-08, 11:53 PM
My question is, now that I am able to control my eating habits and I can eat healthier foods, how can I adjust my diet to prevent muscle loss and encourage fat loss?

I try to drink 150-250g of protein shakes. I'll make approx 5 cups worth of shake in the blender and keep it in the fridge for consumption throughout the day. I also try to eat vegetables, fruits, eggs, while staying away from sat & trans fats :).