View Full Version : Klonopin/Clonazepam - keeps me awake????

AnneM
08-05-08, 11:30 PM
I am getting a little desperate here >> my regular psych is not around and I've been bounced around a bit at this clinic but I'm gonna make this short:

Saw a new doc > very nice, seems very "on top of things", respectful > & he was very concerned that no one had ever treated me for anxiety. SO he prescribes Klonopin, at the very smallest dose >> .125 MGS. Tells me to take it about 2 hours before bedtime. This is my 6th night on it and it takes me hours to fall asleep taking this stuff. At only .125 mgs!!

I am absolutely shocked and bewildered because it is a benzo and I would think it would help sleep. I'm not anxious just AWAKE :eek:

Has anybody else ever experienced this? Or know of someone who has? Does this reaction sometimes occur w/benzodiazipines?

Any input is appreciated. I'm just baffled!

Mister U
08-06-08, 05:28 AM
I get anxious/alert from most benzos, but I thought I was the only one.

You should be really leery of them, anyway, since they are so addictive. You can deal with anxiety a bit with counciling, and for me nothing helps like some nice yummy adderal, especially to get to sleep.

AnneM
08-06-08, 09:19 PM
Mr. U -- Thanks so much for your response! I just think it is such an odd reaction. The klonopin doesn't make me anxious just totally awake.

yeah, i know about benzos being so addictive and I told the doc I wanted a stim and he said he didn't think that was the right path....he said stimulants help everyone!

well, having less anxiety is really helping me not to feel totally overwhelmed so I'm kinda playing this whole thing by ear.

i called the doctor today and he said I can switch to taking the klonopin in the morning > but he was also like, "it is keeping you awake???" -- I told him, not wired, just AWAKE

again, thanks for your response

Mister U
08-06-08, 10:36 PM
I've had good luck with some supplements for a variety of things. 5htp makes me snooze fairly well, for example.

For anxiety there are a bunch of things and some of them seem to work for some people. Magnesium works with me somewhat for relaxation. If you're taking stims you ought to take it anyway, as it helps with your muscles and also gives them a bit more oomph.

I'd be tempted to use addy as a sleep aid but it's expensive and I don't want to get too much resistance (or addicted since I already take it in the morning).

AnneM
08-07-08, 08:58 PM
You know I was taking a magnesium supplement but did it for my brain 7 memory.

I took the klonopin at 9:20am this morn and I still feel pretty good...things don't aggravate me as much because I'm not so overwhelmed but I still don't have the organizational skills that I need (in my mind)...you know, knowing what needs to be done and when and how & i'm still forgetful & there is still no focus. I seem more motivated though because I'm not as wiped out just going about my day.

Currently I'm taking the klonopin and wellbutrin (300mgs) -- this guy wants to drop the wellbutrin after awhile but I need something to put me on task and have focus. I really would like to try that adderall >>.we'll see, I see the doc again Wed.

What is 5htp?

Mister U
08-07-08, 11:03 PM
5htp is a a precursor for serotonin that's a step up from tryptophan in the production of serotonin. You can use it as an antidepressant but you have to take it all the time for it to work properly. It is much more effective if you're on st john's wort or an ssri, but it also requires caution as it can lead to serotonin overdose if you overdo it. But, for sleep I find it's great. Before I had any meds or supplements I'd sleep 4 hours a night, max, and never get to sleep before 4am. In bulk form it's pretty cheap, too.

Wellbutrin is actually a powerful drug, it seems to me. It really has an effect on me, pumping up the adrenaline. It seems to help a fair amount with ADD and definitely gets me out of bed. I think it gives me more energy than adderal does, which makes me so calm inside that I am FOCUSED, but I mostly feel like hanging out and reading a book. Wellbutrin gives me some drive and restlessness to leave the house, but does nothing for my actual focus.

So for me at least, they work decently well together.

It's funny, though, because if anything I'd say the adderal seems to be the most mild drug I've ever been prescribed. I had a lot of trepidation about the idea of taking amphetamines, but if you really do have ADD and not something with similar symptons then it seems to be amazing how it's just so perfect of a drug. I don't get euphoric (but anyone will on a large dose) but I lose all anxiety. My heartrate goes up a tad, but my bp goes down signifigantly I guess from the relaxation. The bizarre thing is that I feel INTEREST. It used to be when I talked to people I would either be bored or iritated, 99% of the time. I always blamed it on others or just put it down to eccentricity, but that obviously does not make for much of a social life.

I have not experienced (yet) having it make me stop procrastinating like I hoped, but my biggest surprise is that it's helped me so much socially and I'm told now that I seem much more engaged and like I have empathy towards people instead of cold and aloof. Such a big change so far, though I hope for more over time. Also, once I DO start a task I have much more followthrough.

From this thread, I suspect you have some of the weird reactions to drugs I do, whichhopefully includes the calmness and inner peace I get from adderal xr. So, I strongly recommend trying some if it's at all possible. If your problem is more anxiety or depression then addy is a bad choice, but if you have the classic ADD/ADHD reaction, it seems to be the best thing possible or even imaginable.

Kiddo
08-11-08, 10:54 AM
Wow, I'm having to take a half a .5 Xanax in the mornings due to fight or flight, just until I get out of it. I'm still on Klonopin at night for the 1st time I went into f/o/f and also for the muscle spasms caused by that. It still floors me after 4 years.

I was put on the 5HTP also but have been told that it must be taken with Magnesium (I'm on Magnesium Taurate, not Malate) to convert to serotonin and otherwise won't convert. Of course I've had the pharmaceutical book thrown at me, as well as supplements. I am surprised that these make anyone awake, but then I feel super-hyper on other meds that floor many people.

lizbeth
08-12-08, 12:51 AM
I suffer from anxiety and in my experience your doc would rather eir on the side of judgement. He is prob being to careful. I would increase it by 2 or 3 times so you can sleep and for your mental well being until you can see him. let me know

QueensU_girl
08-12-08, 01:22 AM
Clonazepam is a poor sleeping med b/c it takes forever to work. It has a slow onset, unlike other rapid onset benzos such as Ativan and Xanax. (They are fast onset, however, they have their own, more serious problems, such as euphoria/addiction potential, given their fast action.)

Clonazepam it keeps working for many hours after it is taken. (e.g. morning comes and you will still be feeling its effects.)

NB Docs like to Rx clonazepam b/c it's abuse potential is low. In true anxiety/panic cases, it is so long lasting that it prevents the peaks and valleys of wearoff that can elicit more panic/anxiety. e.g. often withdrawal/drug wear off can mean interim panic/anxiety. Another med that is used off label as a sleep med is Trazadone. You may want to ask to try that. It was originally marketed as a antidepressant, but
it was found to cause sleepiness, so it is now used as a sleeping med. (No addiction potential/not a benzo.)

In the long term, I really recommend using GOOD HARD EXERCISE to improve your sleep quality, and prevent insomnia. Pill reliance can be bad news.

MissMadness
09-18-08, 11:01 PM
Clonazepam is not a good sleeping aid. It has a longer half life meaing it will help you more the next day if u take it in the evening. I tried it. Try Restoril, I just started on it and having good luck so far.

ikgbixcal
09-27-08, 02:06 PM
klonopin isnt that sedating but it last so long half 1850 hours therefor it helps for a long period of time