View Full Version : Is it normal to be tired from muscle soreness?

mrsmith
08-06-08, 06:48 PM
If I exercise, and has mental fatigue, foggy brain, add symptoms etc.
connected to soreness/stiffness caused by the exercise...

Do I have a something like fibromyalgia? Or is it normal?

Excluding stiffness in shoulders, neck and up.

Thanks

prtsimmons
08-06-08, 07:00 PM
I always feel better after exercising. Mentally, I have a clearer head, more positive thoughts, and it's easier to maintain a train of thought. Physically, I sometimes have muscle soreness, but not a lot, and I sleep better and feel more energetic the next day. (Every ADHD book I have read recommends exercise - probably the only thing they agree on.)

Pain is your body's way of telling you that something is wrong. Some soreness is not unusual after working out, especially if it is a muscle group you don't use a lot. If you have chosen a workout appropriate to your fitness level, you should not have anything more than mild, temporary stiffness or soreness (and even mild soreness is your body telling you that you overdid it).

Make sure you are doing a workout appropriate to your fitness level (i.e., if you don't work out regularly, a high-impact aerobics class, a full-speed game of tennis, or 2-hour weightlifting session are all totally inappropriate). Warm-up correctly and do 15 minutes of stretching / cool down at the end. If you still feel pain after a moderate, appropriate workout, there is definitely something wrong - seek professional advice.

Ian
08-07-08, 01:48 AM
I feel foggy if I'm over doing things. If I'm muscle sore it's not time to go back at it that's for sure, but I'm old and bald and stuff. :D

prtsimmons has given information I agree with entirely. I love the energy and clarity I get. I don't know any other way to get as good a hit of happy.

Aerobic activity is where I began and it paid huge dividends. I use the talk gauge to know if I'm in the proper aerobic intensity and I find that really helpful. That is, if I can carry on a conversation but can't sing I'm close enough. The changes happened really quickly after I figured out how not to go too hard in the beginning.

I spent 14 weeks going from walking three times a week for 20/30 minutes to being able to run. I hope you're just getting used to the routine. Check it out with a physician if you're concerned.

It's a patient and rewarding game I've come to love. We have some amazing endurance athletes here. I wish I was genetically gifted for endurance, but I'm not fast.
Five years and counting.

mrsmith
08-11-08, 04:56 PM
>(Every ADHD book I have read recommends exercise - probably >the only thing they agree on.)
So do fibro books, but on the ground it is not that simple :-(
There should be large segments of the broader (older) ADD population that has similar issues.

So I would like to know how common it is for us to have a downside to exercise, how it plays out etc.

Also I would like to know what is "normal"? How do most people feel in their body after a strength sessions? Is it normal to be mentally fatigued/have brainfog etc when one is stiff/sore?

Thanks
Valentine