View Full Version : Something to block out the noise

Cheezer
08-09-08, 04:03 AM
I spend a great deal of time studding in the library but it is so noisy I can barely hear my self think. It seems like every time I find a quiet table, a group of loud people sit near me. When I notice the noise, it seems to get louder and louder and I start to get upset. Once I am distracted, it takes me forever to get my concentration back.

Does anyone know if there is white noise or something similar I can download onto my ipod? I have tried listening to music but I get too distracted with that.

SuzzanneX
08-09-08, 04:53 AM
a fan...
.....it's white noise.

it comes with your add accessories at birth does'nt it?

....most of us have GOT to have electric fans to sleep..

Cheezer
08-09-08, 05:05 AM
I totally agree with you on the fan thing. I find the sound is somewhat soothing, plus it keeps me from hearing "house" noises. I have recently discovered the window fan! Its quite a bit louder than the ceiling fan and the sound changes slightly if its windy outside. I have to have a fan on to keep the air moving. I also leave the commercial free radio on in the living room when I sleep, its really for the dog but it helps me too!

strange&unusual
08-09-08, 06:16 AM
a fan...
.....it's white noise.

it comes with your add accessories at birth does'nt it?

....most of us have GOT to have electric fans to sleep..

Even when it is 3 degrees like it is in Melbourne at present

speedo
08-10-08, 07:16 PM
Masking sounds with white noise works. I have fans that run in my apartment to mask out irritating noises and they help a lot. One potential problem that you can run into with masking is called "habituation"... you get used to it and it no longer works as well as it once did, because your brain has learned to adjust to the masking noise. With earplugs, constant use can result in your hearing becoming even more sensitive due to habituation.

With habituation in mind, things like masking and earplugs should be used sparingly to avoid ending up with a worsening sensory problem.....

I run my fans constantly to mask out noises, but my earplugs are only worn occasionally, like when I run the vacum cleaner....

ME :D

Lunacie
08-10-08, 07:40 PM
Too bad public libraries don't provide study rooms like college libraries do. I don't know how you would take a fan along to the library, or keep it from blowing pages and papers all over.

I suggest you talk to the head librarian and ask if there is a quiet room you could use. I would certainly need something like that if I had to study in a public library.

Aha! You can buy white noise taps or C.D.s to play and listen to with earphones. For instance... http://www.purewhitenoise.com/whitenoisecd.html

DeloresMelon
08-10-08, 08:39 PM
I know it's not for everyone but I downloaded mozart and several other recordings of classical music onto my ipod. It's the best for concentration and since it's not hip hoppy or vocal, it's easier to use as a mask as opposed to getting wrapped up in the song. They call it "brain music"... lol.

I also use my ipod sometimes at bed with music composed specifically for sleep. I rarely get to the second song. I also resist playing it when I'm not trying to sleep... lol.. out of fear of falling asleep at the wheel or while pushing a shopping cart.

I too have realized I now have to have my loud floor fan on because the noise is just right for sleeping. I don't even aim the fan at me, well near the end of the bed.

I've contemplated finding a sound machine, like nature sounds or simple white noise for sleep. I used a nature sound thing years ago, I figure they've improved by now. I also have some nature sound recordings on my ipod too.

I just wish I'd had this ages ago when I was living at home.

mygreycard
08-10-08, 09:09 PM
I listen to instremental music when I'm studying. Helps me block out the rest of the world. I used to live under an airport in a really noisey apartment complex where people where always outside my window, so I got BIG head phones and cranked that sucker up!

anonone
09-18-08, 06:29 PM
I used to wear earplugs when studying. They really helped me. You can find them at the drug store. Pick up a package of the most effective (block the most db) and also the most comfortable looking ones (may correlate to price). See if you like them (double check that you are installing them properly or they won't work). Wear headphones over them so you don't look like a wierdo and try not to talk to yourslef too much, lol.

I used to have problems getting them out though. You can't just pull them out when they're properly installed, you have to twist them untill they get a little wrapped up and smaller. Then you slowly tug them down (not out yet) until you have broken the airlock that they make. Then you can pull them out slowly with out "poping" your ear drum.

Five
09-18-08, 06:45 PM
I was going to mention earplugs (I use these to block out noises when I sleep) and Mozart, but others beat me to it. Sometimes, to help my kids fall asleep and so that there minds do not race, I play like Billie Holiday. Jazz is kind of asymmetric and so the rhythm does not get into my head like pop/rock.

amu_d
09-18-08, 08:32 PM
Masking sounds with white noise works. I have fans that run in my apartment to mask out irritating noises and they help a lot. One potential problem that you can run into with masking is called "habituation"... you get used to it and it no longer works as well as it once did, because your brain has learned to adjust to the masking noise. With earplugs, constant use can result in your hearing becoming even more sensitive due to habituation.

With habituation in mind, things like masking and earplugs should be used sparingly to avoid ending up with a worsening sensory problem.....

I run my fans constantly to mask out noises, but my earplugs are only worn occasionally, like when I run the vacum cleaner....

ME :D

I have 3-4 fans in my room. They help me fall asleep.

Air filter (It has a fan in it)
Window Fan
Floor Fan
Computer Fan

As for habituation, I've noticed I used to be able to get to sleep with just the air filter on, but know I need both the air filter and floor fan on together.

tnhybrid
10-22-08, 11:16 PM
Wow. You know, we really need to add this to the 'you know you have ADD when' thread...

I'm 38, a recent diagnosee (like two months ago) and have also always had a fan on when sleeping.

(shakes head. Wow. There's just no end to things that I find I have in common with other ADDers...how on earth did I go so long undiagnosed...)

I find really bad 70s Top 40 music, the Easy Listening kind, helps me tune out distraction. I know all the words, am not interested in paying close attention, so it doesn't distract me overly much. FWIW.

nicholai229
10-22-08, 11:37 PM
I suggest something ambient, or without English lyrics so you don't get distracted by them. I would sugest Sigor ros's album "()" (parenthesis) it is wonderfull, ambient yet with great feeling and emotion yet not eating your mind up. That is one of my absolute favorites for stress times homework,studying, sleeping, driving ,anything really, it is versatle indeed. If you are looking for something more purely ambient i would suggest mogwai as well, although it is not as striking for me, which could be beneficial, more nice sounds to make a background sound for your studies.

If you want some acountic English music I would suggest iron and wine, he has some great stuff. I would say damien rice but it makes me think about all sorts of things the whole time i am listening.

If you want something more bandish or easy going chill music I would suggest Elliots's album song in the air.

If metal is more like it I would choose unearth or godforbid the rythms are nice and the heaviness can be quite exillerating without being super extreme.

chowmix
10-23-08, 12:43 AM
a fan...
it comes with your add accessories at birth does'nt it? ....most of us have GOT to have electric fans to sleep..

That makes a very simple diagnosis, maybe they should rewrite the GSM(?) I MUST have a fan to sleep.

QueensU_girl
10-23-08, 12:47 AM
Conair makes such a machine for sleeping.

chowmix
10-23-08, 12:47 AM
There are LOTS of files with assorted types of white noise available on itunes. There are also some files that contain 'binaural beats' which people either find helpful or annoying.

There are also MP3s here and there on the internet providing white noise.

I also use http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx earplugs that drown out most noise but will allow you to hear someone talking near you (so you won't have a heart attack if someone asks you a question).

mon.bleu
10-26-08, 03:53 AM
I wear earplugs sometimes. I have the same problem. Just the sound of paper moving across a desk will distract me. @__@

I downloaded some 'white noise' stuff from amazon for my ipod. Also downloaded whale/dolphin songs, which I find very soothing. They've been working for me pretty well.

kettish
02-09-09, 10:19 AM
I found some lovely lullabies to play-they have these nice 'ocean noises' at the beginning and end of the songs, and they're classical music. :3 Air on the G String and such. When I was living in the barracks I got desensitized to a lot of distractions, actually-it helped me so that I can sleep better now. But back then....woof! Someone was talking on their cell phone, and a couple of people were chatting in the bathroom, and lights were on at the front and back of the room, and they had to wax the floors every night, for about the entire night...I cranked those lullabies up so loud I think they lulled my neighbors to sleep!

As for when I'm around other people...sounds silly, but I always either go outside and away if I need to think (like for a hike or a short walk or something) or go to my car and sit with the engine off. It isn't perfectly silent, but everything from outside is muffled, and if you park in the back of the parking lot it's always a lot better than being inside. :P Inside of my car resembles my desk right now, lol.

Codykins
03-28-09, 09:40 AM
We use white noise for our son at night fan or humidifier they work great. Don't know what you could use for places that are not home. Good luck!

kello2005
04-30-09, 12:46 PM
White noise is key. But if you're at the library you can't exactly bring a fan.

What I do - b/c I have the exact same thing as you...I use ear plugs!! I even use them at home when I need to study. I find even the act of putting them in tells me that it's time to do some work! And, they are really effective at blocking out enough noise...but not all noise so I can still hear the phone (not that I want to) or the buzzer, etc.

I got the idea from my universities alternate exam centre where I write....they have them for everyone...once I started using them I realized how much they help me focus.

Just be careful to use them properly...like, don't cram them down in there :)

γ-quantum
04-30-09, 01:45 PM
here's a link to download 60 minutes of e.g. white noise:

http://whitenoisemp3s.com/free-white-noise

i found that i prefer brown noise though, but thats a matter of personal preference, i suppose.

otherwise, i love my CORD MAX EXTREME earplugs. they cancel out so much noise, it's amazing! much more than the standard wax stuff does... MUCH more. google if you want to know more, i guess.

Lunacie
04-30-09, 03:41 PM
here's a link to download 60 minutes of e.g. white noise:

http://whitenoisemp3s.com/free-white-noise

i found that i prefer brown noise though, but thats a matter of personal preference, i suppose.

otherwise, i love my CORD MAX EXTREME earplugs. they cancel out so much noise, it's amazing! much more than the standard wax stuff does... MUCH more. google if you want to know more, i guess.

Don't know why, but all foam earplugs, including Cord Max, are simply too uncomfortable for me to wear them. And they don't block out enough noise to be worth the discomfort. Glad to hear they work for you though.