View Full Version : ADD coach?

tiddletaddle
08-11-08, 04:38 PM
Hello

Anyone know of any coaching/counselling/therapy available for adults with ADD, or is this something (else) you can only get in the States? :(

Thanks

Grafter
08-11-08, 04:59 PM
I really can't answer your question about what's available over the pond.

However, many coaches here in the States can work with you online and over the "tellie" (Isn't that you call it over there? :D)

Just a suggestion if your serious about getting a coach and having difficulty.

Tara
08-11-08, 06:49 PM
Grafter is right most ADD Coaches work over the telephone so you could hire somebody who lives in the US. With programs like Skype and Magic Jack you can actually afford to call over here now too.

tiddletaddle
08-12-08, 05:16 AM
Thanks Grafter and Tara, I may look into that. Grafter, 'telly' is the tv - like wellies are wellingtom boots :-). The phone is just the phone... How dull!

columbo
08-12-08, 07:25 AM
I get ADHD coaching here in the UK. I've found it very helpful. I even get it funded through Disabled Students Allowance.

It has been known in rare cases for NHS trusts to agree to fund coaching, but don't get too excited as it is very rare.

It may be possible that coaching could be funded through Access to Work type schemes, but for that you usually need to have a job or be about to start a job. These things are never automatic and you would have to ask for it and show why it would help.

Do reply if you have any general questions, or PM me if you want to know anything specific.

columbo
08-12-08, 07:39 AM
I forgot to mention that there are different approaches as well as coaching, like, for example, ADHD-tailored CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy).

Once the NICE guidelines come out in September, they will state that a person who has stabilised on medication but still have significant impairments should be considered for CBT. This means that you should find it a bit easier be able to get NHS funding for CBT. It is important to stress that this should really be ADHD-tailored CBT, because the standard CBT for depression has apparently been shown by research to be largely ineffective for people with ADHD.

NICE did not include a recommendation for coaching specifically, presumably because there isn't much research for the benefits of coaching compared to the benefits of CBT. However, most of the top ADHD experts around the world see coaching as a good add-on to medication treatment.

Please reply if there is anything else you would like to know.

hillzy
08-12-08, 11:07 AM
I have an ADHD coach who I've been working with for just over 2 months .. and it's simply the best thing I've ever done for myself. Surprisingly, working over the phone and the 'net is wayyyy better than meeting in person. Much more effective.

tiddletaddle
08-12-08, 11:20 AM
Thanks Columbo and Hillzy, good to know that you have both got what you need. And the phone work sounds like it is worth looking into, if my ADD spouse feels ok about it.

InTheMoment
09-10-08, 12:23 AM
I'm in training at the moment to be an ADHD Coach, with the ADD Coach Academy in New York. I will be International Coach Federation accredited upon completion. I should be taking my first clients around December this year (in West London). Very happy to discuss early "low cost" coaching!