View Full Version : I'm NOT lazy, crazy, or stupid!

d2k1
08-13-08, 04:45 PM
Just finished reading this immensely popular piece by Kate Kelly & Peggy Ramundo (awesome last name). It was one of the first publications made available that solely addressed add. The revised edition has many improvements, changes, etc... but the book hasn't changed much since its first release (same format, style, etc..).

I enjoyed reading it, however I did skip.. a few parts (such as the stero/people types that are commonly associated with add).. but intensively read the sections dealing with treatment, medication, & science. Unfortunately I don't remember most of the book. Its very aggravating comprehending the sections & organizing the information only to forget most of it a week later. However, I can recall information from the book with the right trigger. So hopefully I'll be able to rely some of what I've read in response to peops questions.

meriellyn
08-13-08, 05:01 PM
I picked this one up a while back (the newer version) and look forward to getting through it in the future. I had to set it aside for a bit because I'm focusing on recovery in other areas of my life right now that need to be addressed first.
Seemed like a good book though. I'm glad to hear someone else thinks so as well. :)

hillzy
08-14-08, 11:14 AM
So what if you don't remember the book? It's not as if you were reading it intensely enough to commit it to memory. Why can't you just pull the book off your shelf and refer to it periodically when you need to know something? I know I've read each and every book I have on ADD/ADHD atleast a dozen times, maybe not the whole book, but specific chapters that really struck a chord with me, I've probably read more than a dozen times.

curseandablessi
08-14-08, 04:42 PM
Great book, I highly rec. it too. you don't have to read it all the way through to get something out of it. Leave it in the family "reading room" and just pick up a few paragraphs from time to time. I'm amazed at what I flip to sometimes just seems to be what I needed to read on that particular day.

Lunacie
08-14-08, 04:54 PM
It's a little difficult to do that when you got the book from the local library. I love getting books at the library because it's a way for me to afford to read lots of books that I couldn't afford to read otherwise, and because I don't have enough shelves to keep every book I read. Probably wouldn't be able to find the one I wanted if I did keep them all.

curseandablessi
08-14-08, 07:57 PM
OOPs!!! Sorry, I didn't think of that, I gave up on the library after the last four books I lost, had to pay for, then only to find a year or so later.

Lunacie
08-14-08, 09:24 PM
I've lost a few library books myself over the years. Once I started taking Omega 3 I find I'm better able to keep track of them. They are in one of two places, on the shelf or on my bed (I love to read in bed). Hopefully they won't be late anymore now that our library got a system for sending email notices a couple of days before the due date.

I enjoyed that book "I'm not lazy, crazy or stupid" but it's been almost 4 years since I read it. I think it's time to check it out again. :)

curseandablessi
08-15-08, 08:17 AM
I get a lot of mine used off of half (dot) com or amazon. I like the half site, it's a division of ebay, because the shipping is set by the site and not by the seller. Some of the book sellers jack up the shipping when you buy on ebay.

Lunacie
08-15-08, 10:23 AM
I looked for a copy of this book on half.com, then checked for another one I'd had recommended to me. By the time I checked to see if the first seller had both books so I could get cheaper combined shipping, the first book had been taken. Arrrgggghhhhh. I've been dealing with similar issues at paperbackswap.com. This is why I stick to the local library.

chris1585
11-24-08, 08:40 PM
Yep, started to read it.......well....lost myself and the pages in the book.....unfinished.......currently working on another.........Damn that book is just too thick...l I've got ADHD ya know' chill out on the exuberant page number's and stuff...... hELP A BROTHA

maryam
11-30-08, 08:30 PM
I just bought it a couple weeks ago, but I've been using it as a resource more than reading it straight through. Like many ADHD books I have, naturally :D

spunkysmum
12-19-08, 11:01 PM
OOPs!!! Sorry, I didn't think of that, I gave up on the library after the last four books I lost, had to pay for, then only to find a year or so later.

LOL, I have so been there!

I bet I have made them regret their policy of only charging 10 dollars max no matter how high your fines actually are on more than one occasion!

My deal is getting library books wet. I have a bad habit of putting water bottles on my purse that aren't quite screwed on tight. The bad part is that I can't honestly promise that it will never happen again, no matter how much I don't want it to.

spunkysmum
12-19-08, 11:06 PM
I just bought it a couple weeks ago, but I've been using it as a resource more than reading it straight through. Like many ADHD books I have, naturally :D

I have this deal where I don't read non-fiction books cover-to-cover. I jump around and look for the relevant stuff in the index.