View Full Version : Great article... on ADD/ADHD skepticism...

DotwithADD
08-14-08, 11:20 AM
I found this while looking for an ADD/ADHD support group in my local area (go figure) and found this great article!

http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/1017.html

Jed Thorton
09-28-08, 12:14 AM
I'm going to share that with friends. Thanks.

meadd823
10-03-08, 04:57 AM
I like this response to skeptics

{quote from article}If you prefer sarcasm to scatology, try, "Gosh, it must be nice to be smarter than thousands of doctors, scientists, and psychologists."{End Quote}

Imnapl
10-03-08, 09:08 AM
Good article, Dot. I found the author's choice of the title "The Crusader" interesting.

The Crusader

The Crusader takes a holier-than-thou approach, second-guessing adults who take ADD medications and parents who give them to their kids. "I would never take a stimulant medication or give one to my child," he proclaims. "Ritalin is 'kiddie cocaine.'"

lovelyophelia
10-17-08, 07:16 AM
I have a 'friend' who doesn't believe ADD is even real. I showed him scholar-reviewed articles, told him my doctors credits and asked if he thought he was smarter than a harvard grad. First he said something about the Harvard grads that he knew not being amrt at all, then said "All your doctor cares about is his paycheck. Have fun with your placebo." :(

I asked him if he'd even done the research and he said "yes", and added that he knew a lot of psych majors that don't think it is real. So I did some research on his side. You know what I found? Sketchy blogs with people stating their opinion. No facts. No experience in the field. Just opinions.

He said he didn't believe in psychology. I told him it was science. He insisted it was psychology, and that psychology is *********. So I called him a Tom Cruise Scientologist crazy(he's called me worse before-- it's a love/hate friendship) and signed off.

I'm not the only friend he has lost to his close minded, opinionated, argumentative ways. He complains that no one from highschool tries to contact him any more. I wonder why?

DotwithADD
10-17-08, 09:32 PM
I have a 'friend' who doesn't believe ADD is even real. I showed him scholar-reviewed articles, told him my doctors credits and asked if he thought he was smarter than a harvard grad. First he said something about the Harvard grads that he knew not being amrt at all, then said "All your doctor cares about is his paycheck. Have fun with your placebo." :(

I asked him if he'd even done the research and he said "yes", and added that he knew a lot of psych majors that don't think it is real. So I did some research on his side. You know what I found? Sketchy blogs with people stating their opinion. No facts. No experience in the field. Just opinions.

He said he didn't believe in psychology. I told him it was science. He insisted it was psychology, and that psychology is *********. So I called him a Tom Cruise Scientologist crazy(he's called me worse before-- it's a love/hate friendship) and signed off.

I'm not the only friend he has lost to his close minded, opinionated, argumentative ways. He complains that no one from highschool tries to contact him any more. I wonder why?

I would have said that to him... "I wonder why?"... did you? Sounds like he has his own psychological issues... called "denial"... I'm not trying to talk bad about him. It does sound as if he doesn't want to believe that there are people with mental problems. I wonder if he ever debated any science teachers when he was a kid. Or maybe he's been listening to someone else who believes that. That's sad. For him. I hope one day he'll realize that ADD/ADHD and other mental disorders are for real before it's too late. Of course, you may want to address it to him in a caring, subtle way. Because no one should be with out friends, or even at least one friend.

20trackedmind
10-17-08, 09:37 PM
Great article!!!!!! Thank You for sharing!!!!