View Full Version : Storing Medication and the Effects of Heat

Erasmus777
08-15-08, 12:10 PM
I travel a lot for work and typically leave my Lamictal in the car. I work in the South, so needless to see, the car get's hot. Over the last few months, I've been feeling like the efficacy of the medication is wearing off. I realize it may just be that the dosage needs to be increased.

But what about the effects of heat?I always figured the storage recommendations were sort of like "expiration" dates on medications--they're largely arbitrary. How true is that? Is there any the hot temps are affecting my meds?

Thanks!

Dizfriz
08-15-08, 03:04 PM
I travel a lot for work and typically leave my Lamictal in the car. I work in the South, so needless to see, the car get's hot. Over the last few months, I've been feeling like the efficacy of the medication is wearing off. I realize it may just be that the dosage needs to be increased.

But what about the effects of heat?I always figured the storage recommendations were sort of like "expiration" dates on medications--they're largely arbitrary. How true is that? Is there any the hot temps are affecting my meds?

Thanks!
Heat increases the speed of chemical reactions so if the med tends to age it will age faster under hot conditions. May not be an issue here but it well could be. Be best to follow the storage recommendations if you can.

Dizfriz

becacee
09-11-08, 05:12 AM
medications are meant to be kept under 25 degrees (i work in a pharmacy). different medications react differrently to their environment too, like needing a dessicant to stop moisture absorbtion. Expiry dates are best to be stuck to as not all are arbitrary, especially if you haven't followed the storage conditions consistently. They don't recommend storing any medication in a car (even paracetamol and ibuprofen). Maybe try a med organiser that you can keep on you?